PDA

View Full Version : 1988 accord dx problems

xbajbusx
08-18-2005, 08:23 PM
hey i'm about to buy this 1988 accord dx 5 speed ,ok lets start ,when you drive the car there is a noise coming from driver side wheel or someplace like is rubbing on something i think is the bearing anybody had a problem like that where i can get the bearing or it may be an axle where i can get that,and the other problem with the car is that its leaking oil from distrubutor o-ring is that a big job anybody have pix how to do it and where i can get the o-ring and one more think i have to add the car has 177000 miles on it ,please help thanx

88Accord-DX
08-18-2005, 08:52 PM
I needed to make a thread about that for this site. Here you go.. :)

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=45876

Here is the axle thread below....If you see the axle or anyting underlined, that means there is a link to it. ;)

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=28515

On the axle, your best bet is get one at O'reillys or parts house.

Blkblurr
08-19-2005, 05:18 AM
hey i'm about to buy this 1988 accord dx 5 speed ,ok lets start ,when you drive the car there is a noise coming from driver side wheel or someplace like is rubbing on something i think is the bearing anybody had a problem like that where i can get the bearing or it may be an axle where i can get that,and the other problem with the car is that its leaking oil from distrubutor o-ring is that a big job anybody have pix how to do it and where i can get the o-ring and one more think i have to add the car has 177000 miles on it ,please help thanx
Can you be more specific. When do you hear the rubbing sound? Are you turning, accellerating, stopping sitting still etc.

xbajbusx
08-19-2005, 08:15 AM
when the car is moving it sound like somethink is rubbing against somethink even when u put the car in neutral it still rubs when u make left turn it sometimes gets quiter is there a way to check if its a bearing because its sounds like is coming from the driver side wheel

Blkblurr
08-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Have you looked at or bent the brake dust shield? Does your DX have front disc brakes? Wheel bearings make a growling sound when there going bad. If it's not your dust shield then my guess would be your axle cv joint.

A20A1
08-19-2005, 11:52 AM
All accords had front disks.

xbajbusx
08-19-2005, 12:19 PM
it makes growling noise i just got the car so i guess its gone be the bearing because they told me when the cv joint or axles are bad they make lots of noise when turning the wheels ,how hard is to change the bearing anybody have an idea pictures how to and where i can get the bearing and how much it costs

88Accord-DX
08-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Basically need to take the axle nut off, then take the spindle off. Put the spindle in a hydralic press & press the hub off. Remove the inner race. Pack the new bearings with grease, put new inner race in. Press the bearing in the knuckle using a driver. Install new seal. Don't have pics, not sure on price.

Blkblurr
08-20-2005, 04:41 AM
I just did mine and the bearings were about $35 per wheel. The brand of bearings I used were NSK. I used the service manual to see how to do it and a large hydraulic press at work to press them apart and back together. The old bearings were in like new condition and it turned out to be the cv joint going bad again in an axle I replaced less than a year ago.