PDA

View Full Version : 88 acc0rd driv3R .. small issue

CHonda
08-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Greetings to all my fellow 3g driv3rs out there ... like you all, i am also in love ..... although this probably appears as my first or second post ... i have been religiously following this
site since i first purchased my accord in 2003... before i consult anyone or anything ... i refer to my 'honda bible' (aka. 3geez.com )

i have a few technical questions and also some opinions from others .. i've searched all the forums and have done my research, so now it's time for me to ask to clear up anything that didnt click with me ...

where to start ...

-1988 Honda Accord EX-I sedan (purchased in Canada)
-247, XXX km on the engine and still goin strong .. (as far as i know)
-recent repairs:

-both rear upper control arms, water pump, timing belt, radiator, muffler, alternator, re-machined rear drums, service rear brakes

-people always ask " ..What wrong with you ... buy something new ..?"; my response .. "im in love.."

anyways
1) my car once stalled with me in a grocery store parkin lot .. started it and it just died .. had to wait about 5 mins and the only way i got it going was startin it in first gear and feedin it gas to get the car moving ... once it was moving, it wouldnt turn off .. uncertain if this is because of the tranny or alternator although the alternator was just recently replaced ..

2) if the car stalls now, it wont start again for at least 5mins .. needs a lil bit of time to collect and heal itself

3) when i brake, there is a loud clunking sound coming from the rear passenger side, that you can actually feel through the floor .. i've read in my '3g bible' that it could either be (i) ball joints (ii) rear brakes (iii) or my suspension (shocks and struts)

4) just the other day, i was makin a left turn at about 10-20 mphs, and the steering just 'fell out' .. best way to describe it is that it was like the tire either fell off or i was riding on a flat tire .. when i stepped out to look at the car ... both wheels were facing inward like they were cross-eyed ... looked really weird.... from what i've read ... im thinking (i) tie rod ends (inner and outer) (ii) maybe a new steering rack or (iii) new control arms and ball joints for the front now ..

5) few months back, I was driving in 5th gear on the highway when it just cut out ... engine did not die or stall, just 5th gear was gone and the engine was revving high like i had the car in neutral ... im aware that its either my synchros gones or imma need a whole new tranny .. highway driving is no longer a possibility because 4th gear just isnt proper enuff for the speeds

my baby has been off the road for about 3-4 weeks now as i've been stack piling $$$ to fix it, and I just wanna seek advice before i goes about doing it .. here is what i am thinkin

1) do compression test to determine if my engine is still good and up to par
2) if engine is still good .. i wanna swap in a whole new tranny .. (rebuild or new purchase of a tranny..?.. any opinions .. got quoted almost 500$ (CAD) for this .. wow ..)
3) about the steering issue ...get them to check steering rack and if its okay, just get them to replace the tie rod ends and the upper control arms to Prelude upper control arms and ball joints ..(thanx AZmike for the lil info)
4)with regards to the knocking/clunking when i brake ... i was gonna buy new suspension in hopes of fixing it .. i've read that a lot of you are using Koni reds (struts) for the front and Tokico HP struts (for the rear) with H&R/Neuspeed springs or Tokico springs .. my shop mechanic suggested go KYB all the way around, and I just wanted some other opinions from my fellow 3g drivers .. this mechanic apparently has the fastest civic in Canada (or North America .. dont remem correct) so i assume he knows what he is talkin about ... but still .. i consult my 'bible' for advice ...

im thinking if take care off all off this .. the clunking sound i get when brakin should be gone .. i will have my 5th gear again ... and my steering will be back to normal but off course a lil better with the suspension upgrade ...

thnx in advance ... peaCe

ps. pics to come sooooon

b8er
08-19-2005, 08:37 PM
the only advice i can really give is about your clunking noise, i had the same problem, all i did was throw in new ball joints and that fiexed my problem, if that doesnt do it i would sugest looking into new rotors and calipers, dont think it should be your suspension,

also my car would do the weird killing it self sometimes , all i would do ( and still do today ) is just wait till the little PGM-FI light on the dash goes out pefore starting the car, other then that i wish you luck and hope you can find the awnsers

CHonda
08-23-2005, 03:31 PM
thanx b8er .... was this clunking sound coming from the front or the
rear of the vehicle..?.. mine is rear passenger side, and you can kinda feel it through the
floor as well .

b8er
08-24-2005, 01:09 AM
mine was from front , if its the rear im not really sure what it could be, just check all the bolts/nuts , just grab stuff and shake it really hard to make sure theres no excssive play in anything

nhgu1dry05
08-24-2005, 10:18 AM
my car was makin a weird clankin noise & i took it 2 the mechanic cuz i thought the drums were bad but come 2 find out the hardware had fell out of the rear drums but the e brake was holdin the car very good on either w/ a hill.

halxi
08-24-2005, 06:58 PM
5th gear is gone. period.

this just recently happend to me and i had to replace the whole tranny, i pulled one out of a junkyard for $60 and put that in, when i got my old tranny out the 5th gear was completely smooth... probably due to 95% of 245k miles being driven in 5th gear.

You can get by with replacing 5th gear without pulling the tranny, but thats up to you.