PDA

View Full Version : 2ohm?

Nate2310
08-19-2005, 05:53 PM
alright if I had a 4ohm subwoofer, but it was dual coil, how would i wire so that it's 4ohm and not 2 ohm to the amp, it's a mono amp and there is 2 subs

Strugglebucket
08-19-2005, 06:49 PM
do you want 4ohms from each sub or 4ohms total from both? if i'm understanding you right the subs have dual 4ohm coils? to get a total of 4ohms when both are wired together just wire each subs coils in series (giving you 8ohms) and then wire both subs to the amp in parallel, which will net you 4ohms.

AccordEpicenter
08-19-2005, 09:06 PM
get another sub or amp

Acid X
08-19-2005, 10:03 PM
You can make 2 dual 4 ohm coil subs into a single 4ohm rating by putting both subs in series. Putting a sub in series makes the sub 8 ohms, and when two 8 ohms are coupled together on the same channel, it pulls a 4 ohm load.

To series a subwoofer, you connect the positive from one side to the negative of the other side. You then connect the positive from the amp to the currently unused positive of one side, and then connect the negative from the amp to the currently unused negative of the other side. Get what im saying?

FyreDaug
08-21-2005, 01:04 PM
So you have 2 subs, both are dual voice coil, and both coils are 4ohms each correct?

See attached image

EDIT: Well the imageshack uploader thing didnt work, so ill do cardomain

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/808000-808999/808617_30_full.jpg

Acid X
09-08-2005, 11:12 PM
I don't think that's right.. O_o

Strugglebucket
09-09-2005, 01:21 AM
the drawing still gives you 4ohms, but it's wiring the coils in parallel and the subs in series instead of the other way around. if the subs share the same enclosure (not isolated from each other), then it's better to wire the coils in series and the subs in parallel.

Nate2310
09-18-2005, 03:41 PM
how would you wire them if you wanted them to pull a 2ohm load?

FyreDaug
09-18-2005, 04:55 PM
the drawing still gives you 4ohms, but it's wiring the coils in parallel and the subs in series instead of the other way around. if the subs share the same enclosure (not isolated from each other), then it's better to wire the coils in series and the subs in parallel.

I suppose, this is the easiest way of doing it and thats how I did it last time. Why would it matter if they arent isolated?

Strugglebucket
09-18-2005, 05:49 PM
I suppose, this is the easiest way of doing it and thats how I did it last time. Why would it matter if they arent isolated?
umm, i don't think i'll be able to explain it too good so here's a quote from jl audio:

"It is far less desirable to make subwoofer to subwoofer connections in series. Because of slight and unavoidable differences between speakers and because of the high likelihood of uneven loading between different speakers in a car, there will be slight differences in the mechanical behavior of the two speakers in series. These differences in movement result in induced voltage (called back EMF) being created by the speakers across the series connection. This effect causes a problem when two speakers which behave differently are connected in series because the speakers can modulate each other (cause each other to move), resulting in distortion. The problem becomes more serious as more speakers are connected in series."

you can see how this works if you wire two subs together in series and tap one of the cones, the other will move in the opposite direction. if your box has a divider between the two subs it's not really a problem.

Strugglebucket
09-18-2005, 05:54 PM
how would you wire them if you wanted them to pull a 2ohm load?
you can't. well, you could if you only wired one coil per sub but then you might as well just use one sub because it would cut your sub's effieciency and power handling in half.

FyreDaug
09-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Ah, thats informative thanks. Didnt even know that, so to correct my problem what would you do?

Nate2310
09-18-2005, 08:30 PM
if I ran the coils(4ohm each) in parallel and then put them both to one channel what ohm load would that be? meaning run coils in parallel then connect each sub to mono amp
http://www.lalena.com/audio/faq/wiring/
i think it shows a 2ohm load on there

Strugglebucket
09-19-2005, 12:37 AM
if you wire the coils in parallel and then wire the subs to the amp in parallel your amp would see a 1ohm load. only do this if your amp is specified as being able to run at 1ohm. otherwise, i would just wire the coils in series and the subs in parallel and run a 4ohm load.

POS carb
10-14-2005, 07:35 AM
that's 1 ohm
you options are:
1 sub = 2 ohms or 8 ohms
2 subs = 1 ohm, 4 ohms, 16 ohms

88accordalltheway
10-14-2005, 08:02 AM
that's 1 ohm
you options are:
1 sub = 2 ohms or 8 ohms
2 subs = 1 ohm, 4 ohms, 16 ohms