PDA

View Full Version : 86 LXI with transmission solenoids

toolnon
08-19-2005, 09:23 PM
At 257k miles my original Accord automatic transmission crapped out. The unit that I got to replace it fits on the engine just fine but there are two solenoids on the top of the transmission housing that were not on the original tranny that crapped out.The people that sold me the tranny said not to worry about them and that they wouldn't interfere with its operation. Well they were partly right. The tranny shifts 1-4 gears beautifully, but I can't get the overdrive function of the torque converter to engage. I have since found out that this type of tranny was used on a Prelude, and that the Prelude had a circuit to energize the solenoids that are on the top of this tranny. I guess my question is does anyone know how to make the TQ lockup on this Accord. I sure would like to run 2800 rpm on the highway instead of 3250 rpm.

Strugglebucket
08-19-2005, 11:13 PM
so you have an auto tranny from a 2g prelude?? my guess would be that the solenoids were actuated by the ecu. you could swap your ecu with one from a prelude with the a20a3 engine and find out which pins are for those solenoids and wire it up yourself. but then i don't know for sure if they are actuated by the ecu or not, or how(normal closed/normal open).

what's the prelude forum agian, someone?

A20A1
08-21-2005, 03:03 AM
Download the shop manual... I've also seen some hints to a different trans on majestic hondas page the parts are numbered in the diagram but aren't numbered or listed below to be sold for the accord auto trans.

toolnon
08-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Download the shop manual... I've also seen some hints to a different trans on majestic hondas page the parts are numbered in the diagram but aren't numbered or listed below to be sold for the accord auto trans.
I have a copy of the 86 accord manual and they don't show the solenoids. You said to download the manual, but what manual are you talking about? How do you download the manual?