PDA

View Full Version : stripped out manifold stud

lostforawhile
08-20-2005, 03:28 PM
has anyone figured out an easy way to remove exaust manifold studs from the manifold,talking about the three that hold on the downpipe. blew another donut gasket and i don't want to get rid of the manifold,this is one of the higher flowing ones from the lxi. i put a lot of work into it before it went on the car. I stripped out one of the studs. http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_176_full.jpg while i was under there i took some pics,this is my custom made flex pipe,the clamp is just to hold up the pipe it's a hanger http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_177_full.jpg I try to keep the bottom of the car clean too http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_178_full.jpg this is an 88 lxi manifold,it flows a lot more then the stock dx manifold,note the different location of the o2 sensor vs. the dx which is on the oposite side of the manifold http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_179_full.jpg custom made a pipe http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_181_full.jpg

Oldblueaccord
08-20-2005, 04:08 PM
In car it be a pita but you prolly have to drill it out retap the threads.

Wierd that the gasket is blowing out make sure your exhaust is hung properly and not hitting the ground.Coat hangers dont count. Those too things will stress the gasket.

Torque the bolts evenly as possible so the gasket stays even.

wp

lostforawhile
08-20-2005, 04:54 PM
In car it be a pita but you prolly have to drill it out retap the threads.

Wierd that the gasket is blowing out make sure your exhaust is hung properly and not hitting the ground.Coat hangers dont count. Those too things will stress the gasket.

Torque the bolts evenly as possible so the gasket stays even.

wpwell the threads in the manifold aren't stripped out,just the ones that hold on the nut. what i need to figure out is how to get that stud out. there is nothing wrong with the exaust system,it's an open system all the way to a glass pack. there are no coat hangers eithier,i clamped up the system and took it off in one piece and tig welded it all the way around. that exaust clamp is anchored to a hanger. the system is solid. those donut gaskets aren't worth crap. i wish someone made a copper one.

lostforawhile
11-08-2007, 09:14 PM
I never updated this thread,i had ended up finding another manifold, took it to a local machine shop,let them remove the three studs by heating it up with a torch,then i installed ARP hardened studs in there. i had a bunch of stripped exaust manifold studs,so i went ahead and helicoiled everything up and fixed it. the old manifold has been in my bushes in front of my house for quite a while now. lol.

A18A
11-08-2007, 09:38 PM
lol, when i tried undoing the nuts, the studs came out with them :wtf:

in the end i jsut replaced them with bolts

Hauntd ca3
11-08-2007, 11:00 PM
get you self some wurt rost off ice
spray the shit out of the offending stud and get on it with some stud removers
if you aint got those, vice grips will suffice
just dont fuck the thread
if you do, just use a bolt and spring washer
get some loctite nickle anti seize grease and smear some of that on te threads before you put it bacjk together
use that stuff on anything like that and it will be way easy to get undone
next time you need to.
spark plugs especially
tey wont gall with this stuff on them

AccordEpicenter
11-08-2007, 11:14 PM
x2 for vise grips

lostforawhile
11-10-2007, 10:36 AM
well the manifold came from a junkyard, since i had to surface it anyway, i just took it to a machine shop and let them remove the old studs, i sure wouldn't want to trust 20 year old studs that have been through countless heat and cold cycles. if you break one off with vise grips you might as well junk the manifold. most automotive machine shops have a lot of experience removing these kinds of studs, pay a little bit,get it done right,and put in top grade new studs, this will save a lot of aggrevation down the road.

2oodoor
11-10-2007, 12:59 PM
sounds like you got it under control, but anyway....
I would have touched the end of the broken part just a little with a die grinder to get a good clean flat bite, center punch it and then drill it 5/32 bit. Then heat it up with a torch to just is red, then melt wax into it. Then I would let it cool a minute and use a left handed drill bit 3/16. Should come right out.
If not, if there is enough prortruding, I would get a size up from the stud size, nut.. and mig weld it in the center very carefully and see if it won't screw on out. Worse case then just drill it on out and rethread or helicoil.

AccordEpicenter
11-10-2007, 07:08 PM
sounded like a good time to get a real header too, lost

BrianB
11-10-2007, 07:20 PM
sears sells a socket set that cuts into a bolt when turned counterclockwise. Great for getting studs out. (future reference)

MessyHonda
11-10-2007, 09:59 PM
sounded like a good time to get a real header too, lost

in other works a turbo mani?

lostforawhile
11-11-2007, 01:00 PM
no i have a custom dual carb setup thats enough of a project. someday might look at a belt driven mini supercharger setup,but not at the moment. as far as getting those studs out,it only cost ten bucks, and i saved a lot of hassle.