PDA

View Full Version : dash idea

spanky
08-20-2005, 07:29 PM
ok, for a while ive been thinking about this instead of makind a dash out of fiberglass what if you take the dash out and put Bondo (to smooth out the fake leather look of our dashes) then im thinking of primering it and painting it in a high gloss color.

post your comments and if you have any other ideas shoot em at me.

superaccord
08-20-2005, 08:22 PM
hmm...not gonna work. Can't use bondo for that. I honestly dont think that it will stick.

Cheeseburger
08-20-2005, 09:05 PM
wouldn’t it crack over time?

gfrg88
08-20-2005, 09:12 PM
how about sanding it smooth.....

acco-R-d
08-20-2005, 10:10 PM
how about sanding it smooth.....
that may be hard, but its worth a shot. but 1st u might want to goto a junkyard and bring some sandpaper to test out the idea of sanding it down.

spanky
08-21-2005, 09:27 AM
ok, how about using some plastic filler. i know that will stick to rubber,metal,plastic,etc.the only thing is that it would take a couple coats of it b/c you put it on thin so it would take a lil time. post your thoughts

3rdGenHatchBack
08-21-2005, 10:58 AM
a friend of mine from back in the day sanded the leather grain off of his dash in his 4th gen civic, looked pretty good, but not nearly as good as fiberglass

Pro_Mod_Accord
08-21-2005, 12:11 PM
ok, for a while ive been thinking about this instead of makind a dash out of fiberglass what if you take the dash out and put Bondo (to smooth out the fake leather look of our dashes) then im thinking of primering it and painting it in a high gloss color.

post your comments and if you have any other ideas shoot em at me.

HEY STOP RIGHT THERE!!!!!

DO NOT ATTEMPT! PERIOD! TERRIBLE IDEA!...............................

FOOLISH......DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!

THE DASH IS FLEXABLE,,,AND WELL BONDO WILL JUST CRACK AND FALL OFF...EVEN WITH PLASTIC FILLER SAME FAILURE///// NOT A POUROUS SURFACE,,,,SPEND THE TIME AND SAND THE SNOT OUT OF IT,,,,,120, THEN 180, THEN 220, THEN APPLY NON-METAL PRIMER, THEN PRIME WITH HIGH SOLIDS PRIMER THEN WET SAND 600 GRIT THEN PAINT.....HIGH SOLID WITH FIL IN IMPERFECTIONS..... :mod:

b8er
08-21-2005, 12:28 PM
ahhh no way i had this same idea about a month ago , just never posted it, glad to see somebody else had the same idea but i guess we were wrong

w00tw00t111
08-21-2005, 12:43 PM
ahhh no way i had this same idea about a month ago , just never posted it, glad to see somebody else had the same idea but i guess we were wrong
That's what the pro's do around here. If youre wanting the stock dash only with fg rather then the vinyl that's what they use. When I was talking with all the guys they all use they same process. Drill small holes in the dash and then cover it with resin. Once dried then put layer upon layer of actual glass with resin. Once you have put enough layers you can then bondo over that. I've not tried it but the 5 different places that I've been to use this technique as well as wcc. So I would think it would work or at least it should for 1-2 grand *what I was quoted*

Pro_Mod_Accord
08-21-2005, 01:01 PM
That's what the pro's do around here. If youre wanting the stock dash only with fg rather then the vinyl that's what they use. When I was talking with all the guys they all use they same process. Drill small holes in the dash and then cover it with resin. Once dried then put layer upon layer of actual glass with resin. Once you have put enough layers you can then bondo over that. I've not tried it but the 5 different places that I've been to use this technique as well as wcc. So I would think it would work or at least it should for 1-2 grand *what I was quoted*

This is one of the correct avenues to take! Good method! But is not the idea that was not the originally posted in here...Makes a great bonding sirface to layer the fibreglass.....

IDEA # 2:

> scartch surface and apply insulating foam in a can to build up areas (or use as glue for custom formed foam pieces to dash), let dry and carve custom shapes then fiberglass, skim coat,sand etc/.... :uh:

spanky
08-21-2005, 03:45 PM
thanx woot and pro. i know what way im going now. Im gonna get a cloth materal and staple/ upholstery glue and put it on the dash then used a resin/hardner and then glass over the materal then bondo and sand.then im gonna paint it.

frankie89
08-21-2005, 03:50 PM
well when your done post some pics of your dash..(and also some in progress pics)
thanx woot and pro. i know what way im going now. Im gonna get a cloth materal and staple/ upholstery glue and put it on the dash then used a resin/hardner and then glass over the materal then bondo and sand.then im gonna paint it.

spanky
08-21-2005, 08:10 PM
k, i will. i already got started by taking the dash out of my 87 lx thats a parts car. so incase i dont like it i still have the org. dash in my 88 lxi. the only thing is that im not sure if i should make it all as one (dash and guage top) or should i do each and put the on together after the fiberglass is done and then bondo together.

superaccord
08-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Make it as one...look cleaner that way!

3gmodifier
08-26-2005, 07:59 PM
hey, just to let you know i have already fiberglassed my dash and molded a triple tach pod in to it using the techniqe of resin first then filler. i have had it done for about nine months and no cracks. its still in primer cuz i put it back in my car for a test fit and i am just going to wait until i am ready to paint the whole car to pull it back out and paint. the only hard part is making it thick enough to ware the air vents fit back in flush with th rest of the dash. reason for that is because the vynl and foam under it is about 1/8" thick and folds in and tucks behind the vents. when you sand all the foam off and are ready to start the filling you notice that the vents are loose and dont fit right anymore. there will be a gap surounding all the edges of the vent that meet the dash. i ended up using a set of vents that were spares and basically set them in place with fresh filler then let it harden a little bit and then carfully pulled the vents back out. what your left with is an impression that fits the vents perfect. i just finished the rest of the dash and came back to the vents at the end for minute udjustments. once your all done, try not to spray to much primer or paint ware the vents fit in cuz that will be more you will have to sand back off to make the vents fit perfect again. i have pics on here. go to the pics section and go back a few pages until you see a thread labeled SO CAL MEET PICS. theres a few good shots in there. if your really up to it i say go for it :rockon: IT CAN BE DONE!!!!!