PDA

View Full Version : :( my mirror doesnt like me much

ZackieDarko
08-22-2005, 01:42 AM
ok so i did a search and didnt find anything on this and i really hope im not the only one with a retarted mirror...so my rear view mirror just spins around..its busted..it goes to a weird angle and just sits there...if i hit it hard enough it will spin in a circle like a little happy child in a meadow of flowers

this ever happend to any one else? or am i the only one? is my car doing this in spite? can it be fixed? or do i need a new mirrior? is there an OEM replacement for it that is dirt cheap or is there some super cool after market mirror that comes with a sticker i can slap on my car for 2hp?

ZackieDarko
08-22-2005, 02:04 AM
ok im offically geting MAD at my computer...it has restarted TWICE while trying to post this thing im posting..one time as i was about to click the post button..oh well

ok so i did a search here on 3geez and didnt find what i wanted and i searched on the net for about 20 minuets trying to find out what i needed and couldnt

i dont have my manuel for the car or else i'd of looked in there

my question is, how many gallons does my gas tank hold in my '86 LX-i? i always put 11 gallons in if the thing gets to the E mark because the damned light never comes on ...is it only 11 gallons? how much further can i run it before its totally outa gas? i know this is a question inside a question but who cares (=

FyreDaug
08-22-2005, 07:20 AM
You can put close to 16 gallons in your car, never run out of gas if you are fuel injected though, thats just asking for trouble

88accordalltheway
08-22-2005, 11:28 AM
just get a new mirror off of ebay or go to a junk yard.

ZackieDarko
08-22-2005, 12:03 PM
so our tanks hold almost 16 gallons? cause when i put 11 in the needle goes ABOVE the full mark..is that normal? or maybe i just have more gas left than i think?

MattsAccord
08-22-2005, 05:06 PM
I thought our gas tanks were closer to 13 gallons but I might be wrong.

spanky
08-23-2005, 01:09 PM
i had the same prob with my old mirror and having 2subs didnt help. so i'd just go to a j/y and buy it. mine was like 2 bucks. to take it off there usualy is a cover that you can pull off and there is 3 philps head screws and u take em out and there u go. as for the gas tank question i thought out tanks were 14.5 gallons but im not sure so i wouldnt know.

Acid X
08-23-2005, 03:17 PM
What about the LX tanks? How many gallons are they?

Also note that i believe our cars have a problem with the floater that measures the fuel level going out.. Mine's getting there. My gas light comes on at about 1/4th and when i fill it up (when the gas pump clicks) it still never makes the gauge go up to the line like its supposed to. Its always like 2mm down at its top. :\

lostforawhile
08-23-2005, 03:26 PM
get a modern mirror from the junkyard for a couple of bucks,and pick up a mirror shoe and glue from the auto parts store for a few more. it's a piece of cake to attach a mirror shoe to the winshield. and then you can get rid of that piece of crap factory mirror. i always hated that mirror this is where my mirror used to be. the little plastic piece came from an lxi, it already had the mirror attached to the window. this piece held a seat belt warning indicator at some point in the past. http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_17_full.jpg

lostforawhile
08-23-2005, 03:53 PM
What about the LX tanks? How many gallons are they?

Also note that i believe our cars have a problem with the floater that measures the fuel level going out.. Mine's getting there. My gas light comes on at about 1/4th and when i fill it up (when the gas pump clicks) it still never makes the gauge go up to the line like its supposed to. Its always like 2mm down at its top. :\ was there some difference in the tanks? mine from my 86 dx hatch will hold 20 gallons. don't run your car out of gas with the carb eithier, the pump is in the tank and it needs fuel going through the pump motor to keep it cool. the fuel actualy goes through the armature of the electric motor this keeps the windings from burning out. i always wondered if the hatch tanks were different being a different back end on the car.

bobafett
08-23-2005, 03:57 PM
wtf the most i have put in my tank is like high 12 gallons, i dont think iv'e ever had 13 gallons, even if i had it the gas light! :)

i dunno how u get 20 gallons, thats crazy@!

MattsAccord
08-23-2005, 05:17 PM
wtf the most i have put in my tank is like high 12 gallons, i dont think iv'e ever had 13 gallons, even if i had it the gas light! :)

i dunno how u get 20 gallons, thats crazy@!

I'm with him 20 gallons is crazy talk. :dunno:

lostforawhile
08-23-2005, 06:15 PM
I wonder if my tank was changed from something else? i couldn't believe it eitthier, it just kept filling. i know the back end was fixed at some point, the tank does look new inside, doesn't look twenty years old at all. possible aftermarket tank or some kind of universal replacment tank? I know i had a lot of problems finding a fuel pump that fit, the pump kept running into the baffle.i finally found a masterpower pump that was a little shorter as far as the hanger and it fit.

ZackieDarko
08-24-2005, 01:57 AM
i think i'll just put a fuel cell in, what do ya'll think?

lostforawhile
08-24-2005, 03:18 AM
I'm with him 20 gallons is crazy talk. :dunno:remember the tank has a reserve of a few gallons after the light comes on. and even all of that can't be picked up by the pump

Blkblurr
08-24-2005, 08:41 AM
ok so i did a search and didnt find anything on this and i really hope im not the only one with a retarted mirror...so my rear view mirror just spins around..its busted..it goes to a weird angle and just sits there...if i hit it hard enough it will spin in a circle like a little happy child in a meadow of flowers

this ever happend to any one else? or am i the only one? is my car doing this in spite? can it be fixed? or do i need a new mirrior? is there an OEM replacement for it that is dirt cheap or is there some super cool after market mirror that comes with a sticker i can slap on my car for 2hp?
there is a plastic pressure plate inside the mirror that puts pressure on the pivot ball. That plate breaks causing the mirror to spin freely. I fixed mine with 5 min epoxy. Might be better to get a replacement from the Jy.

snoopyloopy
08-24-2005, 09:20 AM

same here. once, i ran till the light was on and it had trouble starting/idling. i filled up at that point with around 13 or so gallons...

lostforawhile
08-24-2005, 11:58 AM
does anyone know is honda is stamped somewhere on the original tank?
i'm curious now to see if mine is some kind of aftermarket tank or something. i believe th owners manual said 16 gallons from a dry tank. i can run about thirty miles on a gas light before i run out,i know i've tried it. stopped about a half mile from a gas station.

lostforawhile
08-24-2005, 12:05 PM
same here. once, i ran till the light was on and it had trouble starting/idling. i filled up at that point with around 13 or so gallons...
it holds more then what the pump can pick up, the pickup sits at an angle in the tank and when the top half of it is exposed it sucks air instead of gas. hey maby the hatch tank is bigger or something. i was told there was a difference between the fuel injected tank and the carb tank. mine was an early hatch and there is some wierd stuff that i guess was changed in the production run

lostforawhile
08-30-2005, 03:03 PM
ok i found the factory owners manual,the capacity of the gas tank is 15.9 us gallons,might as well say 16. I think mine might have been replaced at some point,hence the twenty gallons. I was told once also that a larger tank was a little known dealer option. also to settle the debate on the transmission oil for the five speed use se or sf grade motor oil when changing transmission oil, capacity 2.6 us quarts. there is no specific viscosity listed it says to choose viscosity depending on where you live. it has a chart showing straight 30 weight,20w40,10w30 or 10w40. it just depends on the climate. here in georgia 20-w50 is fine for the hot weather,but wouldn't be approate in canada in the winter for example. someplace like arizona the straight 30 weight would be correct.