PDA

View Full Version : Help With Spark Plugs

dalinxz
08-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Hey I have an 88 honda accord exi and the car was bought last monday but my my neighbor says that I should change the spark plugs since i dont know when they were last changed. First off how do i know when they should be changed and then I went to my local Canadian Tire and there were AC Delco Spark plugs for 4.97 for two or NGK Platinum SPark plugs for 8.97 for two now Im just wondering if theres a difference i dont race or care for speeding so Im wondering is there a difference and what should I get?

shepherd79
08-22-2005, 04:49 PM
remember, you get what you pay for. I recomend NGK. I know it is a little expensive, but since NGK was OEM spark plug, i think it is worth the money.
You can always remove your old ones and see in that kind condition they are. take some sand paper and clean them up a little. It always works for me.

dalinxz
08-22-2005, 05:34 PM
So what difference will it make?

TheWatcher
08-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Hey I have an 88 honda accord exi and the car was bought last monday but my my neighbor says that I should change the spark plugs since i dont know when they were last changed. First off how do i know when they should be changed and then I went to my local Canadian Tire and there were AC Delco Spark plugs for 4.97 for two or NGK Platinum SPark plugs for 8.97 for two now Im just wondering if theres a difference i dont race or care for speeding so Im wondering is there a difference and what should I get?
I agree w/ Shepherd79, get NGKs. I use NGK Iridiums, they work great.

With the high gas prices, you really should listen to your neighbor and get new spark plugs. Also, replace the spark plug wires if they need replacing. I use NGK spark plug wires.

I would inspect the spark plugs after removing them, if they are good spark plugs and in good condition, you can always clean them, put them back in, and return the spark plugs you purchased (if money is an issue).

For example, if you remove the spark plugs and find NGK Iridiums, and they are in good condition, I would return the NGK Platinums and keep the Iridiums.

The important thing is to inspect the spark plugs, and have a set to replace them, if necessary. It can affect your gas mileage, and gas is expensive nowadays.

Peace.

dalinxz
08-22-2005, 07:35 PM
really? so spark plugs affect the gas and also he said my spark plug wires are good theyre blue with some dirt on it not the cleanest but theyre NGK at least thats what it says along the wire.

A20A1
08-22-2005, 08:35 PM
The platinum or irridium tips are there to add life to the spark plug electrodes... everytime a plug fires it voporizes a bit of the metal. Copper wears out faster then the plat. irrid. plugs. However you can grab a tiny file and resurface old copper plugs then regap them.

Remenber when resurfacing to keep the edges of the electrode sharp... if you file the edges dull it's harder to build electrical pressure and it makes it harder to get a spark.
Don't quote me on that though... I may have a few terms jumbled up.

Albion
04-24-2006, 03:51 PM
I myself use iridiums as well they have better fire power ie better spark and runs better if not then use platinum but definetaly NGK. You will also have better fuel mileage as well. Honda's run alot better with NGK. Hope this helps you.

dalinxz
04-24-2006, 08:56 PM
long post but thanks for reviving i ended up getting the NGK Platinums

shepherd79
04-25-2006, 06:52 AM
good choice.
I am going to get Irridium plugs for my GF Civic.