PDA

View Full Version : cv joint screwed my oil pan

maka_RTH
08-23-2005, 08:21 PM
so yeah, i just get off of work, turn my car around at right when i'm finishing the turn, i hear the cv joint go. very little to no warning as to it going (never any clicking, just a tiny crack in the boot, and there was still plenty of grease inside it). so yeah, it broke, and it broke real good, cuz it came out of the end that goes into the tranny, and made a nice big hole in my oil pan. so, now i get to wrestle the oil pan off my 2dr to put on my 4dr. and it doesn't want to come off. i haven't even started taking stuff of the 4dr yet, just kinda pisses me off the cv joint did that to my oil pan :mad:

maka_RTH
08-23-2005, 09:11 PM
yes, sadly :( i'll prolly take some pics once i get all the shite off

maka_RTH
08-24-2005, 08:31 PM
so yeah, i got the oil pans off, replaced the gasket and put the good oil pan back on. but, when the pan was off, i noticed that the rod had taken a lil damage. the nut was kinda ground down, like, down to the point where it started going through the stud too. it looked like it had kinda been welded together.., but i dunno if i trust it anyways. any opions on how long it might hold up?

AZmike
08-25-2005, 11:04 AM
The end of the rod bolt is not loaded. As long as the damage is limited to the end of the bolt and the nut hasn't backed off it should have no impact on the life of the engine.

maka_RTH
08-25-2005, 03:08 PM
this is kinda what it looks like.., if you can get past the crappy drawing in photoshop, lol
http://www.maka-rth.com/pics/roddamage.jpg

maka_RTH
08-25-2005, 03:16 PM
also, another question..., has anybody ever had a cv joint keep breaking on them? the BRAND NEW one i got yesterday and installed, busted this morning on my way to work. it's still driveable, but the boot completely ripped and twisted up. it sounded bad, but once i stopped turning, it seemed ok.., so i just cruised slowly the rest of the way like 20-25mph. i then drove it home in the same fashion..., but yeah. im' lowered 1.5 inches (tokicos and h&r's). i could also possible use new engine mounts, but i cant figure out why it broke this time. i turned the wheel all the way to the left(the direction it's been turned when they broke), and it's not coming close to hitting anything. then again, this is up in the air, with the wheel hanging down, but still. any ideas?