PDA

View Full Version : Battery Light Always on

87RedAccord
08-24-2005, 04:55 AM
my battery light turned on about 6 months ago, and stayed on.. now back then i was like shit my alternantor is going to go.. so was gonna replace it then just didnt.. car runned fine everything worked till 2 days ago.. it finally went. now ive got a fixed so its all running again.. but the battery light is still on.. any help to turn it off would be cool..

Blake

Blkblurr
08-24-2005, 08:31 AM
If I remember right there is a fuse that blows causing power to back feed thru the battery light circuit. Not sure if this is true though could be a bulb also that burns out causing power to back feed. Someone on here knows i'm sure. It's been posted before.

carotman
08-24-2005, 10:43 AM
The fuse you're refering to is the ACC fuse under the hood.

87RedAccord
08-26-2005, 11:22 PM
okie.. there was no fuse in the spot so i put one in.. light went off but car would start then cut out.. when i took the fuse back out it started. but light was there. then i tried again and now car wont start..

any help please..

carotman
08-27-2005, 08:56 AM
Hmmm no fuse in that spot. Weird enough! At least we get closer to pinpoint the problem.

That fuse is connected to the white/green wire going directly to the alternator.

Was your alternator replaced with a new unit?

87RedAccord
08-28-2005, 07:22 PM
nah.. it just got new springs in it.. and some other bits and peaces.

3rdCoast
09-06-2005, 10:40 PM
my battery light just came on tonight and wouldnt go out car is running fine nothing out of the ordinary. When i got home i had a look under the hood to find the alt tension bolt was halfway out so i tightend it back up it was a bitch to get to but put it back in there and the light wont go out. Ever now and then the "brake lamp" warning light comes on and i couldnt find any outside lights out so i think somethin in the dash is blown. I know my gas light acts up sometimes and then the brake lamp light comes on instead of the gas light so i either way i know i need to get gas real soon so im not really too worried about that right now but the damn batter/alt light wont go off. It doesnt blink just stays on. Any help would be great thanx

Blkblurr
09-07-2005, 08:19 AM
nah.. it just got new springs in it.. and some other bits and peaces.
Could be the alt was replaced by a previous owner with a different one than it's supposed to have. They took the fuse out to get it to run. Just a guess though.

Blkblurr
09-07-2005, 08:21 AM
When you say it won't start, do you mean it won't turn over or it just won't fire the cylinders?

87RedAccord
09-13-2005, 05:12 AM
just wont fire the cylinders.

mkymonkey
12-04-2005, 09:23 AM
ok this is kind of an old thread but i see no point in starting a new one. SOOO

my light just came on as well. so im thinking that my alt will go as well.....but i think this is what caused it.(im not to good with the electrical part of my car yet)

yesterday at work i washed my engine bay to get rid of the rusty coolant that went all over my car when my radiator blew, which was just a week ago. its been replaced. but would water cause my alternator to malfuntion? i disconnected the neg batt terminal when i washed i as well as cover my air filter and alt with a plastic bag. im thinking that a lil water seeped (sp) trough. WOULD THIS CAUSE MY ALT TO FUCK UP? HELP PLEASE IM AT A LOSS. I dont really want to spend the money for a new alt, since christmas is coming and i have not finished my shopping. but if it comes to it...i will have to say.."sorry everyone but im broke. plus my car is more important than you guys!" lol

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Poncho Villa
12-04-2005, 11:01 AM
...yesterday at work i washed my engine bay to get rid of the rusty coolant that went all over my car when my radiator blew, which was just a week ago. its been replaced. but would water cause my alternator to malfuntion? ...

Since the alternator is no better protected against the environment when you drive on wet streets, I believe that it may just be a coincidence that the battery light came on after washing your engine bay.

Probably the best bet is to start by checking your voltage at the battery. I believe it should be 12+ volts when not running and ~ 14.5 volts when running. If it doesn't appear to be charging, then just take pictures of your new alternator and hand them out for Christmas.:hs:

mkymonkey
12-04-2005, 02:46 PM
lol^ well all of this happened this morning, sooooo... i did the ghetto alt test, you know take the neg batt cable off while it was running to see if it kept on...but nope it went off so yeah my alt was dead. next best thing tell my boss about it and see if he knew a guy to help me out. sure enough he told me to take it to a local auto shop to get it fixed...only cost my 80 bucks for a new alternator and the labor. we tow from this shop and they do all the work on the tow trucks for us from free (just oil changes, and fluids). so ill take pics of my new alt and hand them here. lol.... i actually took pictures of it on the lift while they were working on it. i just have to download them from the camera to this computer and post them.

but the trouble is over. now i found out i need a new gasket for my oil pan..i have a minor leak...well no leak is minor but its small enough.