PDA

View Full Version : Help I Stuffed Up!!! Plz Read Here

sanjay
08-13-2002, 03:51 AM
hey fellas, i've accidently stuffed up the wiring when i put my new head unit in. I short circuited the dash...
Any one can help me fix the problem?
PLEASE HELP!

:banghead: :help: :help: :help:

smufguy
08-13-2002, 04:18 AM
well short circuited what? what happened? u gotta tell us what does not work to go forth.

sanjay
08-13-2002, 12:58 PM
Okay, I connected my New HEad Unit into my 3G. But I wasn't sure on the two power cables, and basically to cut a long story short, I put them the wrong way round and short circuited my dash lighting. I have a feeling that it could only be a fuse. So i was wondering if anyone knew the location of this fuse, or could help me out with any advice! After I put the head unit in, it was working, I'm like YAY - but then when i turned on the dash lights, they short circuited and i think i fuse blew then, i'm not sure. but yeah thats basically what happened. Now I can't work the dash lighting electrical system. so plz help?

catalin
08-14-2002, 09:20 PM
Sounds like you mistook the illumination wire as a ground for your aftermarket head unit.
You most likely used a red/black wire as ground when you should have used the black wire as ground.
Make the change and have a look for the fuse either under the dash or the hood. But I'm sure it's under the dash at the fuse panel... it should be a 10amp or 15 amp.

sanjay
08-14-2002, 10:47 PM
I've fixed the fuse. Thanks Caitlin. I waited till the morning when there was some light, and fixed the fuse. Honda was generous enough to keep spare fuses around. The car is all better now, and I'm 1000 times more relieved. I didn't use the wrong ground. I mixed up the power cables. :( Oh well, it said (acc) on the aftermarket headunit so I assumed it was the accessory wire!
ANyways, please don't make the same mistake!

catalin
08-14-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by sanjay
I've fixed the fuse. Thanks Caitlin. I waited till the morning when there was some light, and fixed the fuse. Honda was generous enough to keep spare fuses around. The car is all better now, and I'm 1000 times more relieved. I didn't use the wrong ground. I mixed up the power cables. :( Oh well, it said (acc) on the aftermarket headunit so I assumed it was the accessory wire!
ANyways, please don't make the same mistake!

(acc) usually means the accessory wire... I shouldn't start with wire colors though because I just noticed that you're in Australia and the wiring be different for your cars.

It could alwys have been the illumination wire wasn't insulated.

sanjay
08-14-2002, 10:54 PM
which one is the ilumination wire?

sanjay
08-14-2002, 10:54 PM
are you online right now?

catalin
08-14-2002, 10:56 PM
which one is the ilumination wire?

It should be a red with black stripe. It will show ground until you turn on the park lights, at which time it will rest to 12volts positive. If it's touching metal then it will have a direct short to ground and blow the illumination/gauges fuse.

sanjay
08-14-2002, 10:56 PM
check your email :)

sanjay
08-14-2002, 10:57 PM
what do i do with the black + red stripe?

catalin
08-14-2002, 11:01 PM
what do i do with the black + red stripe?

Insulate it, cap it off with a connector or tape if you have to. Or if your deck has an illumination input then hook it up.

sanjay
08-14-2002, 11:23 PM
thanks