PDA

View Full Version : Somthing went seriously wrong with my car.......

Ajbent86
08-24-2005, 05:32 PM
well lately the trans has been making a lot more noise then it usually did when i have been driving along (btw its a 5-speed). Today the car was making a terrible "clicking" noise when the trany was engaged, however if i disengage the trans and coast in netural, the car doesnt making the "clicking" noise, but has this hesitation point where if feels like everything is having troubing moving (almost like someone is pumping the brakes).

Any insites? i think the trans is shot and it might be time for a new one, or could it be something else? my second guess is the C/V joint, but that has already been replaced about 3 months ago.

ANY suggestions would be awesome, i really need to figure this our quick!

mr eff
08-24-2005, 09:09 PM
noise could be from the mainshaft bearing... that would explain why it goes away when the clutch is engaged. bearings make all sorts of sounds, why not a click?

that's my only input, good luck

Ajbent86
08-25-2005, 09:07 PM
any other suggestions?

Blkblurr
08-26-2005, 06:07 PM
CV joints. I replaced mine again in less than a year after the first time. When my drivers side cv went bad, it caused my steering to shake when I put my brakes on and continued to shake for awhile after I let off the brakes. It also caused a sound like bad wheel bearings. I replaced the front wheel bearings because of the sound only to find the very tight cv joint. Could be the reason the sound goes away when you dis-engage the clulch is because the load is taken off the axles.

CrazyHorse
08-26-2005, 06:41 PM
well lately the trans has been making a lot more noise then it usually did when i have been driving along (btw its a 5-speed). Today the car was making a terrible "clicking" noise when the trany was engaged, however if i disengage the trans and coast in netural, the car doesnt making the "clicking" noise, but has this hesitation point where if feels like everything is having troubing moving (almost like someone is pumping the brakes).

Any insites? i think the trans is shot and it might be time for a new one, or could it be something else? my second guess is the C/V joint, but that has already been replaced about 3 months ago.

ANY suggestions would be awesome, i really need to figure this our quick!

Check the Torque strut and motor mounts.

Ajbent86
08-27-2005, 06:48 PM
well i pulled the trany today and it turns out that the countershaft ball bearing inside the trans was GONE. (yes, gone) when i opened up the trans there was tons of pieces of the bearing and metal shards everywhere. So i went to the local junk yard and got another trans for 40 dollars, and everthing is perfect!! took about 15 hours of work to get it out, open it up, find the problem, get a new trans, then put it back in.