PDA

View Full Version : Headlights come on and go up but wont come down...?

SmokingTires
08-25-2005, 03:57 PM
When I turn my headlights on they come on with the first click of the headlight switch and continue to stay one once I goto the second click (normal headlight operation position) The motors work fine (so I think) because they will put the headlights up but when I turn the lights off the motors dont even attempt to pull the lights back down. I have also noticed that the high beams dont always work, when I click them on they only flash on while I'm holding the switch. I am wondering if this is a failed relay or if the combination switch is just bad. I am sorry if this is a repost!!!

LXi87Accord
08-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Did you check the fuses under the hood, I think there is a set for up and a set for down.

maka_RTH
08-25-2005, 07:01 PM
if it isn't a fuse (i'm not sure if there's two or one), i'd say it's a combo switch going bad. dunno for sure though

lostforawhile
08-25-2005, 07:12 PM
I think it's the headlight retractor unit. there is a little gray box under the dash that controls the motors on the lights. if it goes bad your lights will act all screwy. the high beam is most likely caused by a bad combo switch,but there is also a high beam relay that can go bad,there is one fuse for each motor as far as the headlight motors go. how that headlight control works is it's a logic box,it detects when you turn on the running lighs first then when it detects the running lights and the headlights are both on,the headlighs go up, when you turn off the headlights but not the running lights, the lights will stay up until you turn off both. it possibly is the switch in the three switch cluster,both problems are easy to fix,i would go to the junkyard and get a high beam relay,a switch cluster and a headlight retractor unit box.

lostforawhile
08-25-2005, 07:45 PM
ok took a picture of a retractor box,sorry if my camera sucks,i can't for the life of me remember if it's behind the fusebox or not. it will say stanley retracable control,right on the box. http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_183_full.jpg you can probably get one for next to nothing at the junkyard.then if thats not it you'll have an extra part for later.

SmokingTires
08-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Did you check the fuses under the hood, I think there is a set for up and a set for down.
I have check all the fuses that I could find related to the headlights under the dash and the under hood fuses I also double checked them by pulling them out of the car and using an ohm meter, all checked good.

lostforawhile
08-25-2005, 08:31 PM
one fuse per motor,if the fuse is bad,the motor won't go up eithier.