PDA

View Full Version : Tail Light Troubleshooting!

HondaBoy
08-25-2005, 05:45 PM
ok, yesterday night before i was about to back up i noticed that when i stepped on the brake pedal the tail lights didnt get bright, i can see the reflection on the car behind me or the fence. so i checked and sure enough they dont brighten up. the running lights come on though. i went today and tried out another brake light switch, that didnt work. i checked the circuit of where the switch plugs in and it has power going through it when the key its turned out. so i dunno what its going to be. no power at the socket on the bright +. but the dim + has power, as i can also see with the lights on. i tried putting a filament type bulb in since i have LED bulbs. it only worked on the dim side. so i dunno.

ok so here's whats up. the dim running lights all come on. but only the brake lights do not. this is left, right and 3rd brake lights that only come on during brakeing. is there any type of relay for the brake light? i've already ruled out all the bright filaments going out. so its not the bulbs. either wiring or something else i dont know about like a relay that isnt listed in what i've checked.

here's something that happened about a week ago. the power lock on the right rear door hasnt worked, but worked for a few days and then quit working again. dunno if that's tied into the wiring for the rear lights. also, i have disconnected the horn's fuse, but i dont think that could possibley have anything to do with tail lights. anyone got some things i can check? i may just have to pull the carpet up and inspect the wiring bundle thats under there.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the tail lights on the same fuse as the horn? If you removed the horn fuse, you may have also disabled the rear brake lights. Try reinstalling the fuse and testing the lights again. Just my $.02

lostforawhile
08-25-2005, 07:56 PM
you disconnected your horn fuse? thats why you don't have brake lights.same circuit. thats so if your horn goes out and you hit the guy in front of you, the guy behind you won't know you stopped and run into the back of you. therefor you go to the dealership and buy another honda. all kidding aside it really is on the horn circuit,screwy japanese logic.

HondaBoy
08-29-2005, 04:01 PM
hmm, too bad i didnt think of that! i mean, i can just unplug the horns for now until i can wire it up correctly to the button. but yeah, i think i'll try that because i really miss driving that car. i've had to drive our '02 accord, which in all is nice, but you know what i mean. the 3gee is pimp. lol. anyway, i'm going to go try that so i dont have to be driving the datsun around, considering the U joint is giving vibration. and gas mileage, i need to drive the 3gee.

thanks for the help. that was easy enough and saved me money from taking it to an electrical shop. guess the door lock working then not working was coincidence. anyways, i just decided to disconnect the horns for now.