PDA

View Full Version : i've broke 3 cv joints in the past 4 days

maka_RTH
08-25-2005, 06:35 PM
k, this is really starting to piss me off. the first one broke doing a tight left-hand u-turn, and it completely busted also ruining my oil pan and slightly damaging the bottom of a rod. it was down for a day, i swapped oil pans, bought a BRAND NEW cv joint from checker (cardone, dunno where the first one was from, i used it off the parts car i got from my uncle, but he said when i got it that both cv joints were no more than 3 years old). so, that was yesterday i got that done, and i was going to work this morning, did a tight left-hand uturn in front of my house, thought i may have heard something not normal, but nothing seemed wrong. when i was almost to work, making a quick left hand turn it broke, but at least was still driveable this time. so, i got home today, and then took it out, and got a remanufactured one (no more new ones anywhere around here), and i put it in, go for a test run, and in a big parking lot did a couple tight circles going left, since it seems to have broken on left hand turns. and there it went, it busted again. same exact joint, driver's side inside joint (next to tranny). has anybody ever had this problem?

lowered 1.5 inches on tokicos and h&r's
possible bad engine mount up front

my conlcusion is that the shaft is just a tad to short, and when i make the tight turns, the bearings inside the joint are riding on the edge of the deal, whatever it's called(big metal part with spline on end), and it causes too much stress and just busts out the edge, or a bearing pops out and falls off, or something like that. anybody know of a fix and/or a cv joint that has the same specs, but is like 3-4mm longer?

lostforawhile
08-25-2005, 07:01 PM
I would say you have a broken motor mount or somethin along those lines. the motor may be out of alignment which puts the transmission out of alignment and the cv joint may not be at the proper geometry. nrmally when you break a bnch of cv joints thats the reason,the transmission isn't loose or anything is it? what about your suspension,is anything worn bad or anything like that? something is putting that cv joint out of alignment.normally if it was too short it would just pop out of the transmission. is the end that goes into the transmission staying in there? all that holds it is the driveline geomety and a little metal clip ring.

Vanilla Sky
08-25-2005, 07:02 PM
i bet it's your motor mount.

do you have any bent suspension parts?

maka_RTH
08-25-2005, 07:09 PM
yeah, it's staying in the tranny, it's just coming out at the boot basically. and i have thought of the motor mounts causing it, cuz it seems that the cv joint sits lower at the tranny than at the wheel, but figured that that shouldn't be the cause, since normally, it is higher at the tranny, and would basically be the same angle, but i didn't think of the tranny ending up a lil farther away. i'm too lazy to search right now.., but what is the easiest way to swap engine mounts, without having an engine hoist?

Vanilla Sky
08-25-2005, 07:11 PM
floor jack with a wooden block to protect the pan. that'll get it in the air for ya.

maka_RTH
08-25-2005, 07:13 PM
oh, lower ball joints are going bad, but they aren't way bad, everything else should be just about knew, and i got an alignment recently (timewise, mile wise it's like 4000 miles...)

truetune
08-25-2005, 07:13 PM
yeah its possibly the rear motor mount....That B likes to cause that when it goes out.

maka_RTH
08-26-2005, 08:37 AM
well, i swapped out the mounts. the front one was basically broken, and the torque one the bushing was all broken up too. i also changed the side one, even though that one wasn't near as bad. the weird thing is, i never had wierd vibrations, only "hard" shifts, that i figured was either a bad cv joint or bad engine mounts. so, as soon as there is another vehicle here that i can use, i'm gonna pull the joint again, and then get a new one and hopefully it'll work great

87AccordLXsdn
08-26-2005, 11:01 AM
i just had the same problem when i was making a right hand turn and it turned out that my tranny wasnt even mounted when my 5 speed was put in. make sure the engine is level because mine wasnt and as soon as i mounted it right i havent had any problems

A20A1
08-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Is your differential working properly?
Since that is very important to have in the turns.

maka_RTH
08-26-2005, 11:49 AM
i thought about the differential, but it seems like it should be working fine. i finally got the cv joint out, and i also have to replace the lower ball joint this time. for some reason it wouldn't come out, and i managed to force it off and it stripped the threads, making it just spin when i put on the nut. so, i get to have another pressed in(i dun feel like messing with it), and get a new cv joint too. and this one for some reason was a pain in the ass to get out of the tranny.

lostforawhile
08-26-2005, 01:00 PM
did you check the rear mount? i would replace it too, because with new mounts on the front and the side, the torque load shift might cause the rear one to finally go.

maka_RTH
08-26-2005, 04:03 PM
yeah, i forgot about that one, i think i'm gonna do that tomorrow. the jerkiness is still there when i drive, so i think the rear mount is bad as well. kinda pisses me off i completely spaced that one though

maka_RTH
08-27-2005, 06:20 PM
k, so i replaced the rear mount, and also noticed that the bolts going into the tranny through the rear mount were just a tad loose... so i tightened up two of them, i think the 3rd one is stripped though (very bottom). it still seems like it has a bad mount, even though all the mounts i put on it are still quite good. it's jerky on accel and deccel, like, when i let off the gas.., it kinda jerks, and when i hit the gas again, it jerks forward, like the engine is rotating, then it catches and the car starts moving. would a bad differential cause this? or could it be that one of three bolts won't tighten propely? i haven't tried any tight turns, cuz i really don't want to replace another cv joint. it's getting to be quite the pain to do.

Vanilla Sky
08-27-2005, 07:40 PM
did you replace the torque rod bushings?

maka_RTH
08-27-2005, 08:14 PM
i did swap it out with the one off the 2dr, along with all the other mounts. they're not new, but in pretty good condition. there is side to side play in that one, but hardly any vertical play at all