PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! i broke the box between my PCV and the block

CrazyHorse
08-26-2005, 06:57 PM
I bought an 88 accord lxi F/I last week; only to find out my head gasket was leaking.On the way home the top of the radiator EXPLODED.Well , i got it home and took apart the damn thing ,and ,as i removed the intake manifold, the plastic gromet betwix the PCV valve and the top of the box attached to the manifold shattered.No big deal ,I thought; i'll just find a way to make a solid connection and slap some silicon on it since there isnt to much vacum pressure on that line.Got my head shaved and was putting it all back together and now the intake manifold doesnt line up with the bracket attached to the block.To top all of this off i started college this week and have taken half of my car appart and back together in my "spare time".Oh yeah, when i alligned my head gasket some holes on top of the block were covered up and two holes were even allowed to share the same gasket opening. :uh:

Iguess my question is: Do i rigg this POS myself, take it to a mechanic, or drive the thing off a cliff and cut a loss of around $700?

Im ready to commit manhicular vehicalslaughter

FyreDaug
08-27-2005, 01:22 AM
Maybe I dont totally understand your problem, but the only thing you fucked up was breaking the pcv box? I'm not sure what that is, unless you are referring to the air suction box, with the big black hose but I thouhght that was a carb only thing.

Anyways, the pcv is on the manifold itself, it loops through itself and the pcv valve is in there.

Now about the head, you got it shaved (properly I assume) and got a new head gasket. and the intake manifold doesnt line up? With what exactly? What bracket?

Did you get the proper head gasket?

CrazyHorse
08-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Maybe I dont totally understand your problem, but the only thing you fucked up was breaking the pcv box? I'm not sure what that is, unless you are referring to the air suction box, with the big black hose but I thouhght that was a carb only thing.

Anyways, the pcv is on the manifold itself, it loops through itself and the pcv valve is in there.

Now about the head, you got it shaved (properly I assume) and got a new head gasket. and the intake manifold doesnt line up? With what exactly? What bracket?

Did you get the proper head gasket?

the box i am refering to is below the intake manifold.on top of it is the hose that connects to the pcv valve.on the bottom is a nose that goes into the lower part of the block.the bracket connects the intake manifold to the block.

i went to a honda tech the other day and he said they dont make the air boxes anymore.and i checked the part number on the head gasket with several stores and it matched up with my car and engine.

can i bypass the pcv in some way?could i wedge a piece of rubber between the bracket and the intake manifold?

FyreDaug
08-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Im not sure about the first thing then, and yes you can bypass the pcv. But dont do it. Itll cause some harm, positive crankcase ventilation is there for a reason, so when there is crank pressure it will blow out, but if its crank vacuum it wont suck in. (or something like that anyways) its there for a reason, just get it fixed right

lostforawhile
08-29-2005, 08:00 AM
are you talking about the oil seperator on the back of the block? there should be a hose from it to the oil pan and another one from the top of it to the pcv valve. as far as i know those parts are all available. the hose from the top of the box to the pcv valve breaks all the time. it keeps liquid oil from being sucked up from the pan into the intake through the pcv valve. how the system works is that air is pulled from the air cleaner through the hose at the top of the valve cover,it circulates through the block and pan and back through the baffled opening at the top of the oil pan, any liguid oil that is picked up is seperated in that little plastic box and is supposed to run through the hose back into the pan. meanwhile all the blowby gasses are pulled through the upper hose through the pcv valve and burnd through the intake manifold. you don't want to remove this system because you will end up with a bunch of sludge in your motor. you also don't want to rig it because it's a carefully balanced system and if it's not working properly it throws off the intake manifold vaccume. i see breather filters stuck on the valve covers all the time,even this can throw off the balance of the system. this is also why if you overfill your oil is smokes like it does, it gets up into that seperator and overwhelmes it causing oil to be sucked into the intake manifold.

CrazyHorse
08-31-2005, 02:28 PM
thx a lot.thats all i needed to know. :cheers:

phrenology
08-31-2005, 02:42 PM
thx a lot.thats all i needed to know. :cheers:

I dunno where you live, but you could go to the junkyard and pull one of those PCV boxes for like $5. The top part is a real bitch to get out. I broke 2 at the junkyard trying to salvage them from the underside of the intake manifold. Try the junkyard, if not there are a bunch of people on here parting out Accords. Ask Vanilla Sky he's got like 4 Accords in his personal junkyard.