PDA

View Full Version : right rear clunking sound

mykwikcoupe
08-26-2005, 10:04 PM
well is wapped by lowered suspension from the wrecked car over the new coupe and I have this wierd sound coming from the right rear only. I checked everything to make sure wasnt any damage from the accident and the konis only have like 4k on them. Im not sure if its a ball joint or a bushing but if your rear end is compressing or traveling more than say an inch or so it gives like a rub/crunch sound. I thought it was the fender so i rolled it really nice like the other car and Ive got alot of clearence there so its not that. I just dont want to go blindly putting in new buchings and ball joints if i dont have to. any help is cool thanks.

the rear spnidles are off a 89 sei with disk breaks. the car is a rust bucket and the spindles arent in the best or overall shape but they work. Im thinking upper conrol arm?

Micah 89LXi
08-28-2005, 12:12 AM
clunking or more of a throbbing moaning...i have kind of a metal moaning from my rear and im thinking its the wheel bearings...i also have a squeaking because my ball joints have seized and are moving inside the control arm joint instead of the steering knuckle. when the sound first started it was a lower pitched rubbing squeak...check your ball joints for any play..see if you can get a large flat head screwdriver under the joint and pry up and see if the control arm tilts at all or if the joint moves within the control arm instead of the steering knuckle...if so you might want to pop those suckers out..and check them,,also check your control arm..as i said the joint is knurled and should seat in the control arm without any movt. if you decide to check them out make sure you inspect the steering knuckle that the ball joint stud fits into..it should have absolutely no play in it and it should be clean and not pitted or worn..if it is it must be replaced along with the joint..and depending on your problem the control arm too. But try to locate exactly what is making the sound. Have a buddy push down on your rear end while looking under the wheel well..if you need to jack up that side and remove the wheel and pull up on the hub see if you can duplicate that sound....this is exactly what i was doing a few hours ago..oh yeah know anywhere i can get just the rear control arms?..i already have the joints..