PDA

View Full Version : Discussion , Boost N' Carbs - Blow & Draw Thru Turbo / Supercharging

88bluelx
06-12-2002, 12:32 PM
PLEASE READ SOME OF THE PREVIOUS POSTS / THREADS / LINKS ON CARB TURBO SETUPS:

***** CLICK HERE: ***** (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=440731&postcount=5)

================================================== ======================

I am planning on turbocharging my carbed A20. I am in the process right now of doing the weber conversion and have found that turbocharging a weber is not all that complex. To insure that I get the right amount of air/fuel ratio I am going to have the secondaries on the carb be used just to feed the fuel when it starts to boost. What I need to know is how large of a fuel pump and lines do I need?

CARBurn
06-12-2002, 07:39 PM
That ought to be an interesting setup, I would like to see a turboed weber:D

Quote from Dutchaccord:
i've got the same plans
i'm a 4th genner and also got the 2.0 carb engine
here are some pic's of the Toyota CT-26 turbo i plan to use...
--------------------------------
You have a 2.0 in a 4th Gen?

Originally posted by dutchaccord

yep, i can't help it

:confused: Explain, I thought all 4th Gens had 2.2 litre motor, did you do a swap?

Oh, I didn't even notice what was in the engine bay, there is the little frying...um carburetor air box. Can some one explain this to me, I have never heard of a 4gen w/ carburetor. I thought by that gen all accords were EFI. Now I'm confused. :confused:

Wow...
How much power does it produce?

dutchaccord
06-16-2002, 02:02 AM
i'm a 4th genner and also got the 2.0 carb engine
here are some pic's of the Toyota CT-26 turbo i plan to use...
http://www.fotoalbum.tv/Members/Fotoalbum/albums.nsf/UNID/581f97bdbe3482f7c1256bd90063395a/$FILE/ct26.jpeg
http://www.fotoalbum.tv/Members/Fotoalbum/albums.nsf/UNID/b21058c1c7e36e93c1256bd900633b29/$FILE/topvieuw.jpeg
The Dutchie

You have a 2.0 in a 4th Gen?
yep, i can't help it
and about the Magyver club, no i'm not a member, it's a nickname that ive gotten on accordclub.com, beacause i made my own Camberkit, BMW style Roofspoiler, And Lip.
If ya want te link check the propperty's of the pic.
About the turbo...... i 'don't think it l work (boosting a carb engine) i'm looking 4 a inject. intake to replace the carb.....
The Dutchie

firs of al here is one xtra pic;
http://www.dawebcity.com/sites/dawebcity/albums.nsf/UNID/f609bbb3d8c4e740c1256b870051752b/$FILE/engine.jpeg
it's a 1990 accord, the 2.0 carb version is only avalable in europe, so it's obvious u guy's don't know it.......
i don't know wich brand the carb is
And... i took the couver of the headder, it'isn't visible normally....
The Dutchie
:p
firs of al here is one xtra pic;
http://www.dawebcity.com/sites/dawebcity/albums.nsf/UNID/f609bbb3d8c4e740c1256b870051752b/$FILE/engine.jpeg
it's a 1990 accord, the 2.0 carb version is only avalable in europe, so it's obvious u guy's don't know it.......
i don't know wich brand the carb is
And... i took the couver of the headder, it'isn't visible normally....
The Dutchie
:p

ACCORD EX
06-16-2002, 04:19 AM
are you a member of the Magyver club ? could you post the link to it ! :D
anyway about the carb thing are you sure the carb won't blow up ! :D
MIKE

he is engine is really looks like ours ! :werd:
see the powers steering tank and the wibers and the air box ?:D
MIKE

Mantis88LX
06-16-2002, 05:13 PM
what year is your 4th gen?

Site
07-29-2002, 11:58 AM
I've been doing some reading on a blow through boost setup for carbs. What I've read so far tells me that if I'm going to do any significant psi increase, I need to build an airtight box around the carb. Can someone tell me why?

Originally posted by A20A1
However you need to pressurize the fuel at least 3.5 psi higher then the boost pressure... this ensures your fuel will flow into the carb and not backwards.
A20 - Our stock fuel pumps (for carbed models) run at 3.5 psi, don't they? Is that why you're saying fuel has to be pumped in at 3.5 psi over the boost psi?
Has anyone experimented to see how much fuel can flow through our carbs? I've read that filling the float with foam may allow it to hold up under increased pressure.
|site|

You are all giving me great feedback on this - thank you so much for your help. Wouldn't it be great to have a boosted carb, even if it's only 10 or so psi, on the board? Even if, like many say, it is easier to convert to some kind of EFI setup and then boost, working through the process of boosting a 3rd gen carbed accord would be a great learning experience.
|site|
Has anyone experimented with a surge tank-type setup as a way to raise the fuel pressure during boost?
I know these are used in race cars to keep the fuel flow consistent during high speed turning. I think this could be a low cost option to increase fuel pressure during boost. Something like this, the surge tank is situated downline from the fuel pump (I believe they're positioned upline on an EFI car to maintain the fuel flow from the tank if needed.) and the surge tank's fuel pump is kicked on when boost pressure hits a specified level. Is a setup like that reasonable?
Something like this (http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/FMS/FMSFP/12-923.html)
An even better option than above might be a mechanical, belt driven pump like this (http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/FMS/FMSFP/BDBFP.html). Fuel pressure increases as RPMs increase. That seems to make too much sense . . .
*edit after some reading*
Screw the surge tank idea. A belt drive pump is the way to go. There's no way those things can be street legal - at high RPMs the fuel would flow like water out a fire hose. Wicked. There would need to be a monster amount of air being forced into the carb to keep up with the fuel. Too freaking wicked.
|site|

Originally posted by funstick
well if you manage fuel control i can help you with spark.
Funstick, have you considered the application of a belt drive fuel pump for a boosted carb? I'm not switching to FI, I have DCOEs on the way.
That carb enclosure on the above link is sweet - I'm sure a DIY one won't look half as nice. But it will be functional.
So, what kind of help can you give with spark?

shepherd79
07-29-2002, 01:08 PM
i am not sure if you have to or not.
i was in Carlisle PA a few weeks ago ( chrysler week) and i saw a 6 cylinder with a single carb and turbo on it.
so i said to myself, myself you must perform this setup on accord.
I don't think the pressure will affect anything. as long you are going to feed it with enough fuel it should be fine.
i would suggest getting weber if you are thinking putting turbo on it.
turbo on weber carbed accord. that i want to see.

can't you just putt a pump from EFI car. they run like 30psi.
or you could have a pump with adjustible voltage= adjustible pressure.

why don't you want to have variable pressure on carbed cars.
cool. so after i switch to weber i may do the turbo or supercharger addition.

wasn't Volvo 240 turbo or something like that?
i think there is one in the junk yard. i am not sure but i have to check it out.

yes it is possible. i have seen it done on dodge (can't remember model). it was 6 inline with turbo and he had this thing run to 2bbr carburator.
as mike said stock carb is not enough to supply addition fuel needed. you can get weber carb and rejet it and try it.
i think you can mount vortech supercharger where the AC compressor is. it will need custom mounting brakets, but it is possible.

you can turbocharge it, but you will have some major turbo lag and you will never gonne get carb tuned right.
your best bet would be to use VW bug supercharger and Holley carb.

if you talk to sean, you can get GM ECU that will make EFi conversion very easy.

Sean
07-30-2002, 06:40 AM
im not really sure how to acomplish this with a electric fuel pump other than a boost refernced regulator.also heres a basic formula for the fuel pressure you will need.
1psi of boost plus =1psi of fuel pressure+ base fuel pressure
1b= 1FP+3.5base pressure
so you end up with
4.5 psi so replace this # with final boost ie 8psi
8B=8FP+3.5
12.5 LBS of FP
so yr gonna need some sort of rising rate regulator designed for low pressures. i have no idea where to auqire this type of low FP regulator. most domestics have upwards of 7-9 psi at the carb.
or more simply BOOST+FP = good luck ! and yes a sealed box is what you will need and forget using the stock carb to.

using a gm truck pump like 87-89 ck1500 TBI pump will be perfect. it will net you a max of 20psi. and have more than suffecient flow. im not really sure how to mount it in the tank but im pretty sure it will fit in the fatory hanger OK.
still use a rising rate regulator. gonna need to be able to set it to 3.5 psi at idle.
try vortec they make carb apllication blow thru setups for big block cehvys they may have a FPR that can be set that low.
hope this helps.

well if you manage fuel control i can help you with spark.

heres a link to the vortech SFMU info.
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/pdf/manuals/superfmuim.pdf
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/accessories/fuel.html
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/yourcar/univ_carb_encl.html

PhydeauX
07-30-2002, 07:34 PM
I remember at one point of time I pretty much wrote an essay on this topic, and since then I just avoid it cause all I hear are flames or the same question asked over and over again. I have no idea what ever happend to that post, it think I made it back when we were on ezboard and I'm not about to go through it again. You can find plenty of sites on the internet on the basic principles of carburation so I will try to keep this short. Basically the carb uses diferences in air pressuse between the bore and the bowl to meter the fuel. It uses the ventrui in the bore to lower the pressure of the air passing through it creating a vacuume. The more air the greater the vacuume the more fuel is drawn it. Readon carburators on the internet to see how the diferent jets and emulsion tubes come into play in metering the fuel it doesn't effect what I am talking about. Under normal circumstances when the motor is running without boost the pressure of the air is less then that of the atmosphere and fuel is drawn from the bowl into the bore. When you bring forced induction into the equasion then unless you pressurize the fuel bowl (the fuel bowl is always vented to the atmosphere, usually through the chracoal canaster in emissions controled setups) then even though the air pressure will drop as it passes through the ventrui it will still be higher then that of the atmosphere and air will actually flow into the bowl instead of fuel into the bore. To counteract this you need to pressurize the air in the fuel bowl as well. In a sense what you are doing is faking the carb into thinking that the boost pressure is normal atmospheric pressure (as long as the pressure on both sides of the metering assemblies are the same then the carb wont care what the actual pressure is). Usually this is done by building an air tight box around the carb because the gaskets were never desigend to seal under boost. This isn't alwasy true, some carbs like the weber dcoe can withstand moderate boost no problem. Once you have the bowl pressurized then you run into one more problem. The pressure in the fuel line is going to be less than that of the bowl. The bowl works alot like a toilet with a float pushing a valve closed when the fuel rises to a specific level. The pressure needs to stay above the air pressure in the bowl so fuel will flow in, but not to high so the valve can still seal. The solution to this has already discussed, but you need to get a riseing rate fuel pressure regualtor with a ratio of 1:1. Normaly you would get a high volume pump that puts out around 15psi (most blow through turbo carb setups don't excede 10psi because the floats will implode at pressures much beyond that). You will want a return style regualtor and will need to run a return line to make it work. Also don't forget that the more air you let in the more fuel you'll need to let in. Besides rejetting the carb you will also have to install a larger needle valve. Volvo had a turbo carb setup way long ago (I believe that they used su carbs in it). If you can find one then its a good place to get the parts that you need.
andy

You can find the draw through turbo adapters for dcoe carbs on ebay all the time. They're usualy cheap too. Easy to set up but you can't intercool it.
andy

HondaManDan
03-22-2003, 11:55 PM
Can the A20A1 2bbl. be turbo charged? I've frankly never seen a carbed turbo and was wondering if it's a posibility. I know that a special manifold is needed, and a way of getting the charged air to the carb is also needed... however I'm just shaky on wheather or not it can be done.
Another question I have is.... what exactly is "spool up"?
Is that the amount of time it takes for the turbo to actually do something? Cuz that's what I've always though.

awsome

Strahan
03-23-2003, 11:58 AM
Certainly, there have been turbo'd carb applications forever. It will require work, but a carb is no problem.

Chadroper
08-17-2003, 03:06 PM
would it be possible for me to turbocharge the A20A1 I have now. I thought about turbocharging the air before it reaches the carbuerator and building a new lid for the air cleaner housing so it could be used as a plenium. I would also have to cut off part of the intake before the housing and route the hot air intake before the turbocharger. But if I bought a webber carbuerator and a better fuel pump would this be possible. Also does the webber carb have all the same emmissions stuff ours does.

I kind of want to turbocharge the carb one because it will look more complicated when the hood is opened.

wprocomp
08-19-2003, 09:16 AM
get a 4-barrel carb...sheetmetal intake manifold(custom made for the carb)...and try to go from there:D

HondaBoy
08-29-2003, 04:38 PM
its possible, but like yall said it that previous post, lotsa turbo lag. and as for the carb being tuned right, you would need a big amount of fuel, and at higher pressure. so a SC would be the way to go, but i am yet to see this done to an A20A1. would be very cool! so yeah, a SC is great, but a lot of work im shur.

hey, that thing about the holley 4bbl, has anyone done it? i wanna see it. my friends cousin wanted to do the conversion for me. i guess i would need to get the 2bbl to 4bbl addapter, and the carb. and and another thing, where can i see this VW supercharger?

yes, yet another turbo thread. anyway, my aunts boyfriend that used to race suggested something about the old beetle that was carbed, and also turboed. sounds almost impossible. i saw this on JCW.com and thought ti was pretty cool. dont know if anyone else saw this, but anyway here it is.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=476920&BQ=vw&_requestid=48064
says its done with a Weber DCOE carb. guess you would need to beef up you fuel system and get a nice high cfm carb. also you'd need to build some custom headers and custom flanges. this would be the coolest thing to put on a 3gee thats carbed. well tell me what y'all think. someone should realy try it out. im wondering if that Weber was realy a form of fuel injection?

dont they make a SC for the beetle too? i think they do. anyway, i thought i saw one on a few old datsuns that were carbed. anyway, this guy i know who makes custom headers is all into doing things like this. maybe ill talk to him about some crazy shit like that. personally, i dont have the time or money to get into custom shit like that right now. but some dreams come true. lol.

i dont think i would realy ever put a turbo engine into any street car because of their lower life span than N/A engines. im actually debating on whether to keep my A20 and mod it or swap it out with a newer honda engine. i realy want to keep it because it will be somewhat original to the car. i konw this is a nice engine that can take what ever shit i can throw at it. i'll come up with something good for it. i just found a maching shop here in my city that will mod any engine. im going to go talk to them soon when i get a chance. i would rather get something done here in town that send my engine parts off to another city or state. i'll ask them about doing a turbo too. just to get an idea of what it would take basicly.

Magny
09-13-2003, 06:19 PM
Ok dude, it says "with custom jetted 40 DCOE Weber carb", not just any plain old weber carb. The kit seems do-able, but there will need to be major modifications, such as making a custom bracket, and all the adapters too. Yes a custom exhaust header will need to be in-place first to determine the set-up. Also the fuel system (fuel pump, filters, and fuel line) may need to be upgraded to a beefier system.

If anyone is up to this, go for it. FYI, whoever does do this, be ready for major patience and brainstorming to get this thing in :lol

3G Jester
09-14-2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Magny
The kit seems do-able, but there will need to be major modifications, such as making a custom bracket, and all the adapters too.
If anyone is up to this, go for it. FYI, whoever does do this, be ready for major patience and brainstorming to get this thing in :lol

all im thinkin is....H22.... :rolleyes:

Justin86
09-15-2003, 09:17 AM
Well it sounds cool. What ever you want to do, just do it. It won't be much easier then doing an EFI swap.

deadlight
09-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Carbed turbos aren't anything too new, carbed Mustang four-cylinders could get turbos out of the factory in the early 80's, and as for a beetle supercharger, are you sure about that man? I don't think that'd work if you look at the F-4's layout.

I second that, you get a lot of gasket problems too on carbed cars even at low boost levels.

Yes, it is doable, you just won't get the reliability that you will with efi

Sean
09-16-2003, 10:38 AM
i think using anything but EFI on a turbo car is like playign with nitromethane in a room full of smoldering ashes. its just not smart.

contraband
09-16-2003, 09:31 PM
its totally doable. In fact, it would probably be quite a bit easier than doing an EFI swap. Granted you may be better off with EFI in the long run, but once you get good at tunign your webers it should be easy as cake. Anyhow have a look at this!

http://up.edu/~midehara/index.htm

-Dan

Carborator King
09-24-2003, 07:33 PM
I need a turbo kit

:crying:

toastyghost
09-24-2003, 09:18 PM
rawr sto pposting multiple threads and do a search
carb turbo is possible but not very widely used and not very effective considering the retarded performance that sean's turbo /gm combo wil give you

k-roy
09-24-2003, 10:53 PM
To answer your question there is no turbo "kit" available.
You have to amass and assemble the parts yourself, or pay a racing shop out the ass to engineer one for you. If you use the search function on this site and do some digging you will be able to find out all you need to know. Oh yea, a turbo is tricky to install and near impossible if you have little or no automotive background. Upgading to fuel injection is a good idea for a turbo, there is a thread in the howto section about that.

B16 ED9
09-24-2003, 11:28 PM
found this on cardomain. its not an accord, but still a honda. just postin to show that i guess turbo carbs can work and how they work.
enjoy
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/424000-424999/424496_16_full.jpg

i'll find the link and post it,

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=424496&make_type_query=make%3DHonda&model_brand_query=model%3DCivic&tree=Honda%20Civic

did anyone read about the car?

ok, is everyone just lookin at the picture?
cause i'm saying carb, because the guys that owns the car in the link i put up, says "Holley 4bbl"
i'm not stupid, i know civics came with those throttle bodies, my ex used to have a civic, my friend has a civic. i'm just sayin, that if he says he has a 4bbl carb, then hey, i'll believe him until i see the car in person

A20A1
09-25-2003, 12:50 AM
Please don't post multiple threads... I deleted the duplicate.

Where on cardomain? is that a d series? in a civic?
I have no idea please post the link.

3rdGenFanatic
09-25-2003, 11:26 AM
Come on man, don't leave us hanging! We need to get in contact with the owner of that thing!

It's not a carb, it's the same engine we snatch those intake adapters off of for our carbs.

meohmy01
09-25-2003, 11:59 AM
the late 80's civics were fuel injected. i'm not sure what setup they had but it looked like that. i think maybe it was some sort of tbi. i don't think that's a carb

iiviasterp
09-25-2003, 02:27 PM
yea thats a D15 throtle body injection civic......ive seen that done a few times

k-roy
09-25-2003, 02:44 PM
Where is the carb?
That is a 3rd gen civic with FI, my best friend had one. It was the first Honda I ever drove

TJ89Accord
09-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Yah it sais that he has a Holley four barrel.

wprocomp
09-25-2003, 07:30 PM
cool...i wonder how good it runs though...I just picked a demon carb today for $250....hmm:D

Illicit3rdgenRacer
09-25-2003, 07:51 PM
actually its easier to turbo a carburatered car than a fuel injected car its less to worry about

87Hybrid
09-25-2003, 08:01 PM
That is the throttle body injection on a 4th gen civic not a carbed car!

myaccord7
09-25-2003, 08:35 PM
my brother had the same engine in his 90 civic. they are F.I., but they do look like carbs, BUT NOT.

zach

89 Accords Rock
09-26-2003, 03:33 AM
yeah 16 valve? No carb! lol! 12 valve then ya got a carb!

TJ89Accord
09-26-2003, 11:40 AM
I wonder why he wrote that he has a 4 barrel carb though. Thats kinda weird. Maybe he converted it to carb???

tim

L3G10N
09-26-2003, 11:45 AM
why don't you just try to find some info about running a dual weber setup with dual turbo. and if you think that's impossible, i have some pics of this. So, dual turbo on a b20a twin weber?? :super:

Sean
09-26-2003, 12:31 PM
actually if you get one of my upcomming turbo kits with the gm ecm package you plunk the carb in the garabage.

A20A1
09-26-2003, 01:28 PM
I think holley made a 2bbl adapter for the civic... so I guess he just built up a 4bbl adapter to the 2bbl base and went from there.

wprocomp
09-26-2003, 07:40 PM
yes A20 is correct...if you look closely you can see a float bowl peeking out...also civic throttle bodies are very tiny...not like the one in the pic...and that turbonectics hat is for a holley quad...

myaccord7
02-28-2004, 08:59 PM
this is a long term goal but i need to know what i should get. ive seen pictures of preludes, civics. and accords with the DCOE duel carbs with a turbo. what do i need to do to my fuel managment? i dont have my dcoe's in yet but right now my car is carb. if i want a turbo on my dcoe's what do i need to do with my fuel pump, jets on the dcoe, pressure,.....? also does anyone have any of the pictures of a dcoe with a turbo??

thanks

zach :rolleyes:

A20A1
02-29-2004, 12:19 AM
You need something to raise the fuel pressure in response to boost... and you need a fuel pump to keep up with the demand.

ET2
02-29-2004, 07:46 AM
Here's a nice shot it's not a honda but it looks cool

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/379000-379999/379495_5_full.jpg

myaccord7
02-29-2004, 06:43 PM
do i need to do anything with the jets? i have the dcoe 40's. also anyone have any pictures of the dcoe with the direct port nitrous on it? thanks again
zach

anyone have anything???? any help at all?
zach

i would like to do a turbo. i am going to do the dcoes. if its to much money and work, i'll just do a direct port nitrous kit on the dcoes. anyone have any suggestions about doing that?
thanks
zach

that prelude with the turbo dcoe is my wet dream. i dont understand it. why and how does it have a 92 Acura Integra stock fuel injectors and fuel rail??? how does it have carbs and fuel injection???? would i have to do anything special to the carbs if i what to do direct port? like jet them.....? anything?
zach

do i need to get a different fuel pump if i get nitrous? how would i get fuel pressure?
zach

anyone know? if i get direct port nitrous, does it matter if my car is carb and not efi? would i need to do anything different? are there different direct port systems, like wet and dry?
zach

ET2
03-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Something like this ?
http://up.edu/%7Emidehara//engine_rear.jpg
http://up.edu/~midehara/index.htm

NXRacer
03-02-2004, 04:40 PM
if you're really serious about going turbo, i'd HIGHLY suggest you look into seans ECU kit. It'll convert your carb motor to EFI with a LOT less hassle and work and you'll get better performance and reliability as apposed to trying to boost carbs.

smufguy
03-03-2004, 07:32 AM
You need something to raise the fuel pressure in response to boost... and you need a fuel pump to keep up with the demand.

well Thermodynamically speaking, an NA car operates at 1 Atmospheric Pressure (even tho is little less than that) lets assume it does. So it means it operates at 14.69 psi. lets round it to 15psi. Which is standard. so when we boost it, they say they are boosting at 6psi for min or what not. So ur running at an average of 21psi intotal. Cause boost is always over the Standard pressure condition.

but for 15 psi of air pressure at Standard, we run our fuel pressure at 37psi stock. Right? So for boosting at 6psi we would have 37+ (3*6) = 37+18 = 55psi of fuel pressure. Is that right Mike? Whats the A/F reading at that fuel and air combination. 55psi of fuel and 21psi of air. thats like more than twice the amount of air. So ur running a little rich then right?

PhydeauX
03-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Well the 4port fogger system is definitely easier, and cheaper. There were some pics posted of a prelude running a dual stage system. Looked alot like a birds nest of braided steel lines ;). The only requirement is that it has to be a wet system (I'm not an expert, do they even make dry fogger systems). You install it just like you would on any other 4 cyl car, nothing special for the dcoes.

andy

A20A1
03-03-2004, 07:46 PM
hehe maybe I stated that wrong... just go +3 or +4 psi of fuel over whatever the boost you are running... so it acts like the carb isn't being boosted at all.

If you add boost and not fuel PSI then the fuel gets forced back thru the fuel line or just wont flow into the carb.

Justin86
03-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Here's a nice shot it's not a honda but it looks cool

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/379000-379999/379495_5_full.jpg

Oh the good old Nissan/Datsun 1600. That is one hell of a race engine, now if I can get some extra money to do some stuff with the 1600 in my truck.:D

colinnicholson86
03-31-2004, 09:30 PM
has anyone tried to turbo a stock carb? I realise that it might not be as efficient or logical as turbo efi but i want to be different. it is actually for a F20A carb engine, but the carb is the same as the A20A.
Can anyone please give me some info, suggestions because i am planning to to do this as a DIY project.

A20A1
03-31-2004, 09:36 PM
How same is the 4th gen F20A carb? all the same emissions or other vacuum ports? I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Please get detailed pics if you can... even of the intake manifold.

colinnicholson86
03-31-2004, 09:50 PM
Thanks A20A1
Well i live in New Zealand, so they come standard w/o emmissions control. ya it is the same - all the same ports.
How much pressure can the float handle? (wont that be fuel pressure) cause im planning to run an injector above the carb for extra fuel. I am really keen to use the stock carb.
As for a pic all ive got at the mo is this it only shows the intake thou sorry.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/325443/2

colinnicholson86
03-31-2004, 10:02 PM
Here i found a diagram of exactly what its like, try this, and go to page 6-12. http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/AccordManual/420/6-6.pdf

A20A1
03-31-2004, 10:12 PM
ahh... damn 56k... I'll download it some other time.

Oyvind Ryeng
03-31-2004, 10:25 PM
It is also possible to have the turbo suck the air trough the carburettor, like the oh-so-old BMW 2002 Turbo. But you can't have an intercooler with that setup, because the fuel would condense in the intercooler, get stuck, and form large drops. Imagine having a drain-plug in the intercooler. There are some people in Norway running this kind of setup, but the boostlag is insane, and they have to use like 7:1 compression and run water-injetion-systems to keep the knocking away. This is ofcourse a bad solution to turboing a car with carburettor. There are people running carburetted turbocars with the turbo pushing the air trough the carburettor, but they have changed to eiter Detollero (?) or Weber carburettors.

A20A1
03-31-2004, 10:43 PM
Yeah it sounds like he was considering the draw thru turbo setup... When I was saying the float was going to break I was refering to a push tru setup.

colinnicholson86
04-01-2004, 12:29 AM
I was actually meaning push through. are you able to list the advantages/disadvantages of this setup

A20A1
08-15-2004, 06:02 AM
Hrm, I saw some vacuum tubes and such... again no moving parts... couple that with a check valve that uses pressure to seal the valve... and you got something to work with.
I found this nice, and quite large check valve... something I've been looking for, for a possible draw through turbo carb setup... It was the bypass sytem to let the large amount of vacuum created by the closing of the thottle to be seen by the throttle plates and not put some much stress on the oil seals of the turbo.
http://www.anver.com/document/vacuum%20components/vacuum%20valves/large-check.htm

Problem is any leakage will cause the Air Fuel charge to be diverted back towards the plenum below the carb... possibly wreaking havok with the A/F ratio.

CARB DRAW THRU TURBO (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=38170)

CARB BLOW THRU TURBO (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=5914)

RETURN TO THE TURBO FAQ (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37169)

A20A1
09-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Okay this is basicly a simple research project untill I get the money to develop it.

Please read thru the Turbo FAQ which lists a number of engine management and turbocharging factors I have found on the net. I will continue to update that thread and this one as I find more.
TURBO FAQ (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37169)

Also for indepth ignition questions
IGNITION FAQ (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37102)

If you're here to preach Push / Blow - Thru Turbo this isn't the place, I've done the research and know about the downside of draw thru and the potential of Blow thru, this isn't the reason for making this thread. This is simply going to give you insite on how to setup your own Draw-Thru Turbo Carb if that is the way you choose to go.
Turbocharging Carburetor (http://www.3geez.com/showpost.php?p=440731&postcount=5)

If you have information you wish to add to the Turbo FAQ specific to the Carb Turbo setup Blow or Draw Thru then please add it to the thread linked below.
FAQ ADDITIONS (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=14843)

Civvy
09-25-2004, 09:56 AM
We could also do it electrically, if we could rig an such a thing as a adjustable solenoid? to move the rod. and maybe some sort of pressure sensor in the charge pipes to trigger the solenoid. Hey thats a good idea! ,,,If we turn into boffins we could develop a pressure sensor that detects how much pressure at a given point and then a solenoid that only retards as far as the sensor tells it to!

eightyfivelude
09-25-2004, 10:48 AM
can't you just run a MSD6a box with a Timing Retard controller for boost applications?

Matt

Civvy
09-25-2004, 02:11 PM
I guess camshaft TDC is the only way! and maybe..can u set a static timing with a breakerless ignition if needed??

I am i right in thinking people think crank fired ignitions are the best? if so why do manufacturers run the dizzy on the camshafts??

Have you looked at many of the old cars with turbo's they must have similar setups to our thinking since the chip and electonic ignition hasnt always been around!

A20A1
09-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Hey check this out !!!

http://www.ele.tut.fi/~vvieri/edstr.htm

AccordEpicenter
09-25-2004, 06:33 PM
guys you can get an msd boost timing master part 5462 to get your boost retard for less than $100 off ebay or some shit

A20A1
09-25-2004, 07:27 PM
What about advance? Do we leave the mechanical advance in place or can we lock it?

I know there was a kit right to use MSD with digital advance?

What about a Crane Setup

- Crane 8mm / 8.5mm / 11mm wires
- Crane HI-6TRC Ignition Kit w/ Timing Retard Control

- TRC-2 Timing Retard Control
- 2 Bar MAP Sensor

Civvy
09-26-2004, 03:35 PM
Hey check this out !!!
http://www.ele.tut.fi/~vvieri/edstr.htm
HA,ha! Lovin it..lovin it! Hey! maybe u and i should publish a 'turbo's for tightwads'!!!?
i wish he had a conclusion!
...made a point to me tho!!....if something goes wrong with this i.e. the advance plate sticks, then the earliest warning of the timing not retarding under boost will be a big bang??? :sad2:

Looks good! Jst wondering if your overly concerned, the vacuum of those engines twice and 3 times the size of ours will be more to worry about?
Doesn't a dump valve work on similar principles as u want it to for this?
mmm. are we gona extend the delay in throttle closure? i'm going crosseye'd on this one!!!

Vanilla Sky
03-01-2005, 02:10 AM
man, you're doing a lot of research, man...

just curious... have you decided what carb you're gonna use for this? i think if i were gonna do this i would go with DCOEs...

i'm just amazed that someone will put this much research into sometihng like this...

you have my vote for king of 3geez... too bad you don't vote for the king

A20A1
03-01-2005, 02:27 AM
Thanks... I just wish I had money to fool with... I still think my engine management might include a J&S safegaurd... http://www.jandssafeguard.com/
Seems easy enough to install.

A20A1
05-09-2005, 04:16 PM
I will need a MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor, which will be fitted right before the 3" goes into 4 runners. But what about boost controlling? How would I go about getting a constant 4 psi all throughout the power band?

The PSI is based on the pully ratios... as RPMs go up you may be adding PSI but it's kept in check by the increased demand. You could vent excess pressure but you'll be venting air and fuel which could ignite.

Fuel PSI needs to be 5.5 to 6psi constant under any amount of load

Make sure the fuel hard line is big enough... you should upgrade the stock fuel line to something a little larger. When you replace the fuel hard line I would add about 3" extra to where it pops out of the firewall to make it easier to replace the rubber fuel line.

DeMon carbs are very tunable but are quite expensive... I'd would say 500 CFM is good... I've seen 500 CFM on civics with 1.6 and 1.8 liter forced induction motors.

For ignition management I've looked at the J&S Safeguard... to me the claims it makes suggests it's a good buy.

as for manifold cooling... if the manifold is aluminum you could weld on a circular bar cut in half to make a "U" and weld it under each runner... the stock intake manifold uses coolant partly to keep the manifold at a certain temp... but if you don't live in cold weather it's better to bypass the manifold coolant.

Make sure your ignition system can handle the extra juice it needs to put out to fire the gap under boost... and gap the plugs right so the spark can fire.

One of the highest coil outputs I've found is listed in the ignition FAQ
"MALLORY HIGH RPM PRO MASTER COIL" (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=MAA%2D29625&N=110&view=4095)

Some say irridium and platinum are good cause they can handle the extra heat / stress under boost... but also they increase resistance.
So tthey may turn out to be more of a drawback then benificial.

I don't see much more you need to do then get a properly sized blower and carb.

If you go turbo draw thru Read the turbo FAQ I made... it lists most of the drawbacks and problems with draw thru turbo.
FORCED INDUCTION FAQ (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37169)
POST #5 IN THE FORCED INDUCTION FAQ DISCUSSING CARB TURBO (http://www.3geez.com/showpost.php?p=440731&postcount=5)

I note in the FAQ that you should have some heat to the carb to keep it from freezing on a draw thru turbo setup.

You couldn't run a front mount IC anyways with draw thru turbo because the fuel will seperate form the air.

I looked at the possibilities and I keep falling back on supercharging since it's easier to do with carbs.

Unless you do blow thru carbs... but if you're going that route you might as well go EFI cause you'll make more power and it will be less of a hastle... most carb blow thru setups I've seen rely on secondary injectors for enrichment... so that right there funks the whole reason for going carbed IMO.
Carbs just aren't ment to see pressure, and the added layer of injectors and fuel management just doesn't make it worth the effort.

Doward
06-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Just curious if anyone's running a blow-through Weber Downdraft setup. *IF* I go the turbo route, I can just pressurize the carb, provided BOV, rising rate fuel pressure, etc (the standard carb turbo affair), correct? The air emulsion tubes have me slightly worried, but with the fuel bowl under the same pressure as the tubes, I shouldn't be worrying, as long as the entire carb is pressurized, yes?

POS carb
06-26-2005, 09:23 AM
my weber doesn't have any emulsion tubes, it's a simple jet/power valve system like Holleys, it also has an air correction jet that kind of acts like an emulsion tube but a lot simpler.

If you can keep the fuel pressure in check I don't thing you will have any problems boosting the Weber (unless you are looking for 20+ psi or something). You may need a checkvalve on the distributor though.

Doward
06-27-2005, 09:07 PM
6psi. 8psi at the MOST.

A20A1
06-27-2005, 09:27 PM
It doesn't? are you sure? the emulsion tubes are stuck in the holes under the air correction jets... or did you buy a different 32/36 then the one I gave you?

POS carb
06-28-2005, 12:24 PM
no I still have the one you gave me but it's all jacked up I haven't taken it apart anymore for fear of it breaking more

The floats broke (JBWELDED) the a/f screw hole is semi-stripped, the throttle shafts leak, the bass makes the tophat and accel pump screws come loose all the time (locktite for now so far so good)
I've been holding onto it until I can figure out how to make the bores bigger or get a 38/38 or figure out how to adapt the Nikki 4bbl to it.

Acid X
08-27-2005, 06:07 AM
I've read that in order to do turbo you have to do the EFI swap. Why is this? I mean, we can use a supercharger on our carb, but not a turbo? I mean, i think it would be cool to turbo a carbureted car.

So, what's the take on this?

Doward
08-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Search into a Blow-through carb'd setup :)

Acid X
08-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Sounds interesting.

A20A1
08-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Just about everything I found is here:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37169
Yes you will have to scroll down to find the part on turbocharging carbs.

Or it's in Project Central

Acid X
08-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Interesting. So what's the best way to go about this? I mean, pull through seems harder to do than the blow through. Pull through has to handle the fuel/air mix coming from the carb. That doesnt seem too good. Then with blow through you have some serious spark/fuel management problems.

b8er
08-28-2005, 02:23 PM
me and a buddy are in the middle of doing a turbo/weber/b2015 convrestion in his lude, theres a few things were working on and once its done hopefully i can post some pics and explain any problems we had

Acid X
08-28-2005, 02:28 PM
That'd be pretty helpful!

b8er
08-28-2005, 02:29 PM
ooops , when i wrote b2015 i mean b20a5

A20A1
08-28-2005, 02:39 PM
you know you can always edit your post. :)

Acid X
09-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Any update on that turbo project, b8er?

I'm really wanting more information on turboing a carbureted car.. I think that blow-through would probably be better than pull-through, just because of how much easier it would be on the actual turbo unit.. I wouldn't want to pass an air/fuel mixture through my turbo, that's for sure..

1985accord
09-13-2005, 04:09 PM
I was under the impression your carb had to have vacume opperated secondies

cody509
09-19-2005, 10:05 PM
what kinda supercharger availibilites are there?

A20A1
09-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Supercharger
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=18800

8-14 PSI
Grab a Procharger C-1
Get it in reverse rotation if we need to.
Our Accord has 9.1:1 CR
Clean out the combustion chamber to get rid of the carbon buildup.
get a carb built for boost.

For carbureted motors, the rules are slightly different. Carburetors deliver the vast majority of fuel in a liquid state, and as this raw fuel atomizes from liquid to gas, a chemical state change actually occurs. Due to this endothermic reaction, which draws heat and cools the incoming air, a carbureted motor can safely handle more boost than a comparable EFI/TPI motor. For carbureted engines with compression ratios of 9:1 or less and boost levels in the 8-14 psi range, pump gasoline works very well. Compression ratios of 10:1 and higher require lower boost levels, higher octane fuel, intercooling, or some combination of the above. Compression ratios in the 7or 8:1 range can usually handle 12-20 psi on pump gasoline.

More links if you're interested

Draw through weber
http://0--1.net/tom/turbo_motor.html
If you look at it, he turned the exhaust 'down-pipe' from the header up, to power the turbo, then made a turbo downpipe.

More images:
http://www.retrotech.co.nz/rides/mk1capri/capri/carbturb.jpg
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/turbo.html
http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images/001/157/646_6fba454b94c75c3bf3d9c8368d762da0.jpg
http://www.landracing.com/project200/images/turbo1.jpg

here is good blow thru info.
http://www.geocities.com/jharkola/1380turbo4.html
carb jetting a such.

http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0211vwt_turbo02/

A20A1
12-24-2005, 06:04 PM
more links
carbon sealed turbos
http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/t-series.html

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0309pon_turbo/
http://www.smbaker.com/rail/monsterturbovw.html

More fuel tech from aeromotive
http://216.242.145.16/products/content_p.phtml?pk=63

aerokid1987
06-26-2006, 05:09 AM
whoa nice!

EricW
06-26-2006, 05:47 AM
looks good, More pics.

snoopyloopy
06-26-2006, 05:55 AM
nice. now someone just needs to stick one on a ca5 accord. and how does that work as a drawthrough? it looks like a blowthrough to me.

Cheeseburger
06-26-2006, 07:29 AM
wow thats awesome!!! more pics!!

MessyHonda
06-26-2006, 07:39 AM
yup looks good....NEED MORE INFO:bow:

bobafett
06-26-2006, 07:49 AM
fantastic! :)

AccordEpicenter
06-27-2006, 06:10 PM
very interesting, thats def the first time ive seen a setup like that on an F22. If youre gonna go even more hardcore with carbs you should probably do a blowthrough and get a bigger turbo but its nice and different what you have

snoopyloopy
06-28-2006, 04:14 PM
ook. i see the suckthrough now. it makes more sense. i'm not used to a carb looking like that. and i was (and still am) pretty tired. but it looks good. even better, now that i see how it actually is set up.

A20A1
06-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Looks good.
Let us know more about the ignition setup once you finish it.

Also what kind of fuel pump and fuel pressure reg if you have one.

MessyHonda
07-04-2006, 10:16 PM
i think that would be kinda neat but then how about if you crash....all the compressed air with gas could blow up and start a fire.

gfrg88
07-04-2006, 10:21 PM
nice :rockon: thanx for the pic :thumbup:

theDougler
07-04-2006, 10:43 PM
sweet maybe i'll do that with my carb accord for my bro
*edit* you should write a how to and parts needed

A20A1
07-08-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't think I've seen a choke on a SU carb.

i think that would be kinda neat but then how about if you crash....all the compressed air with gas could blow up and start a fire.

I'm sure there are other way to start fires when you get into an accident. You could even die before the fire even starts. More then likely the accident will stop the engine and turbo and cause a few leaks... its not like the turbo will keep pumping and shooting out an explosive air fuel mix.

other things like oil can catch fire also.

HondaBoy
07-09-2006, 02:34 PM
heh, i once saw a porsche 944 catch fire because of an oil line leak. it was right in front of my place of work. i found out i knew the guy and he was taking it to get some work done on it. sucks.

HondaBoy
07-10-2006, 09:31 AM
yeah, good luck on fixing the fuel problem. i'd like to know how things go for you.

3rdgenhatchDX
07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm very interested as well good luck and keep me posted!

3rdgenhatchDX
07-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Cool couple of questions though

1. How is the turbo setup to the manifold? and what is that vac line from the turbo going to?

2. About this SU carb, does SU stand for anything? and can you buy a new one? will it work with my A20A1 without all the vac lines?

thanx!

A20A1
07-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Well all those vaccum lines will need check valves perhaps. I mean if they see vaccum, then see boost they could pop off their connections or break whatever solenoid or valve is may be connected to. So more then likely you'll ditch all of your vaccum lines that were stock except maybe the brake booster.

Basicly the route form the turbo to the intake manifold has to carry both air and fuel. Air is fine going around corners, up and down, anywhich way, but the heavier fuel will have a harder time making the same trip. So you do what you can to prevent fuel restictions and thus prevent a lean mixture problem.

You could opt to mount the turbo at the rear of the motor, and make a custom intake manifold to carry the air fuel charge to each cylinder. The turbo would be driven by an exhaust pipe that turns up after the oil pan.

Thus no need for a fancy turbo manifold, use the stock manifold and downpipe and run a custom pipe up to the turbo.

labeledsk8r
07-17-2006, 12:13 AM
thats awsome, i actully had thought a little bit about something like this for my car, except i was going to mount the turbo inplace of the catilatic converter, but i had no clue on how the rest would work, i thought i could just run a pipe with the boost back up and have it dump off in a plate under the carb, but im guessing that wouldent work due to it needs to be mixed and ran threw the car. oh well, awsome set up though

3rdgenhatchDX
07-25-2006, 05:38 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/325000-325999/325443_40_full.jpg
In that image what is the black line (lower left hand corner) that is running from the turbo? and what does it go to? :huh:

colinnicholson86
07-26-2006, 09:52 PM
[IMG]
In that image what is the black line (lower left hand corner) that is running from the turbo? and what does it go to? :huh:

That is the wastegate actuator line, Goes to the charge pipes

3rdgenhatchDX
07-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Oh cool thanx ;)

JakeEXLS
08-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Hey man ive just found this post, so searched back to what you have been doing, and i can say that im gutted for ya, woulda been good to see that running eh - real kiwi ingenuity bro!

FyreDaug
08-15-2006, 04:53 AM
damn dude, get that shit fixed asap

sinisterfuzzy
08-18-2006, 07:29 AM
sweet maybe i'll do that with my carb accord for my bro
*edit* you should write a how to and parts needed

a how to would be sweet

ottomatic
08-18-2006, 08:30 AM
i have not seen a Hitachi SU in over a decade.
that came off a honda ?
wow, i forgot all about those.
ATF in the carb. genius.

there were duals on my old 260z.
good times, good times.

2ndGenGuy
02-26-2007, 05:34 PM
I wasn't sure if this was off topic or not. Seeing as how it's information on doing a turbo setup with a Weber carb, I thought it was pretty on topic to what people here are interested in.

Anyways, it's not all that detailed, but gives you a good start on what you'll need to turbo your car if you're running a carb. There's not much info anywhere else on a setup like this...

http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/yugo.htm

A20A1
02-26-2007, 05:46 PM
I love the BOV position and carb hat :)

Legend_master
02-26-2007, 06:28 PM
That is nuts, but he should have used a non rubber line for the oil return. On a side note, that has got to be one of the only Yugo enthusiast int he world :lol: .

kraftaroni
07-17-2007, 05:15 PM
I have boost and a pull through 44mm sidedraft. It is on a 2275 vw motor running 9 to 1 compression. It runs on pump gas and is set at 10 psi it pulls wheelies all day and when I go drag race it at I pump up the boost to 15psi. I havn't had any problems with the carb set up at all only minor issues that were my fault.
http://images1.pictiger.com/thumbs/d6/abaedcabc70420dd45b149067c3064d6.th.jpg (http://server1.pictiger.com/img/115914/picture-hosting/glamis-3-20-05-006.php)
http://images1.pictiger.com/thumbs/3f/a189ea2ef59af8360c45a1e1be906d3f.th.jpg (http://server1.pictiger.com/img/113303/picture-hosting/dodger-game-020.php)

EricW
07-17-2007, 07:15 PM
that thing looks like it would be a blast to drive.

kraftaroni
07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
It is. I'm going to take it apart in a few weeks and make a tube/boxed frame for it. I'm getting a tig welder from my cousin and borroewing a tube bender from a buddy. It's gonna be budget but safer than it is now. I need a full cage it's way too fast for it's own good. I havn't had it on the scaled but it can't weigh more than 1200 pounds and it's probably got 250hp+ to the wheels. Guys running my motor N/A have 150-175 to the wheels so it's a good rough estimate.

MessyHonda
07-18-2007, 11:37 AM
It is. I'm going to take it apart in a few weeks and make a tube/boxed frame for it. I'm getting a tig welder from my cousin and borroewing a tube bender from a buddy. It's gonna be budget but safer than it is now. I need a full cage it's way too fast for it's own good. I havn't had it on the scaled but it can't weigh more than 1200 pounds and it's probably got 250hp+ to the wheels. Guys running my motor N/A have 150-175 to the wheels so it's a good rough estimate.

i bet its gives a better trill than going to 6 flags...hahah.