PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Carburetors

Acid X
08-28-2005, 02:16 PM
I've been hunting around and seen a few pictures of a civic with an a20 in it that had 4 motorcycle carburetors on it instead of our keihin, or the webers that everyone talks about.

How hard would it be to do this, how bad would it be for emissions, and what kind of carburetors would i need?

What goes in between the carbs and the head?

Thanks!

shepherd79
08-29-2005, 03:33 AM
first you will need to make your own intake manifold. it goes between carbs and intake. you can use 2 carb setup (like prelude did) or 4 carb setup (it would be custom setup).
Emission wise, well, you may as well forget about emissions if you are going to convert to bike carb setup.
since you live in Cali., you are stock with stock setup. you can't do much upgrades. I hear Cali is very hard to pass emissions.

Acid X
08-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Bastards. What kind of carb should i get that i could get the best performance out of, while still being able to pass emissions?

A20A1
08-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Well I assume you have a visual inspection... which will rule out any carb upgrade.

If not you may be able to get away with a weber... but I'm not 100% sure if modifying the weber will work.

You'd need to keep the Emissions controls and the Carb Black Box.

I went ahead and labled parts of the Black Box, and listed the vacuum lines needed to connect to the weber.

Thing is the weber doesn't come with all the ports you need so you'll need to have the ports drilled into the carb. The trickiest vaccum port to drill would be the throttle port vacuum... I'm not sure if the Throttle port vacuum is on the weber already, but I doubt it's the rigth hole diameter... so even if it has one you'll still need to drill one in the correct diameter.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=45880

the trick with motorcycle carbs would be to get the vacuum signals you needed... manifold, port, and venturi vacuum are all different. Also motorcycle carbs manifold would need an EGR port.

Acid X
08-30-2005, 03:17 PM
I see.. Well we DO have a visual inspection. I'm going to be buying a cold air intake in a few days and installing it.. Though aren't CAI's legal?

Anywho. What kind of weber would i want to get if i had to worry about smog?

A20A1
08-30-2005, 03:51 PM
It may be but you can reinstall the stock air box when it comes time, it's not hard.

Acid X
08-30-2005, 04:26 PM
True.. But then again it's going to be a true CAI.. All the way down into the bumper. Wont be too easy to get out of there without taking off the bumper. Haha.