PDA

View Full Version : High speed control

bigal004321
08-29-2005, 05:38 AM
when i am on the highway doing around 72 the car gets real squirelly like if there is a little bump or something the car goes all over the road even if i hold the steering wheel straight... i think it is the shocks... cuz when im at low speeds and i hit a bump i can hear it make noises...

Alex

cardoc33
08-29-2005, 07:47 AM
Check your lower ball joints. If they are worn, it will cause a rattling noise over bumps. May also cause wandering at speed. Jack up the car and grab the tire at 11:00 and 5:00 and shake the 5:00 hand, if you feel movement, it's your lower joints.

bigal004321
08-29-2005, 08:41 AM
alright well the rattling also occurs if u jack the car up and then lower it u will hear it.... i just had an alignment and inspection done recently would they have noticed that it is worn then?

Oldblueaccord
09-05-2005, 09:11 PM
alright well the rattling also occurs if u jack the car up and then lower it u will hear it.... i just had an alignment and inspection done recently would they have noticed that it is worn then?

Standard front end check,

1: jack up one side of the car untill the tire is off the ground. The other tire must be on the ground still. I use the jacking point under the doors.

2: grab the tire 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock back and forth slow at first. might need someone to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Your looking for loosness. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints other links

4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop looseness while prying.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars.
This doesnt really check the struts on our cars since they dont have anything to do with the location of the suspension just dampning.

I would also look for any broken suspension pieces since your car is from up north rust can attack the frame as well.

wp