PDA

View Full Version : Spring Compressor for Front Springs...

08-29-2005, 11:26 AM
I searched this already but didn't find a lot of info. Does anyone know offhand how/what to use to clamp/compress the front springs to change the struts? I dont' wanna do this w/o a compressor or some kind of clamp b/c it's dangerous. If you're not familiar with these struts, the coils are very close together so it's not possible to use a rental compressor at Autozone, etc. Thanks!

5spdaccordlxi
08-29-2005, 12:10 PM
I searched this already but didn't find a lot of info. Does anyone know offhand how/what to use to clamp/compress the front springs to change the struts? I dont' wanna do this w/o a compressor or some kind of clamp b/c it's dangerous. If you're not familiar with these struts, the coils are very close together so it's not possible to use a rental compressor at Autozone, etc. Thanks!
i used a cheap one you would buy at autozone or some place and just used one prong on each side of the compressor

jaiden
08-29-2005, 12:10 PM
There are ones available that will work on them. they're very small compared to the autozone one. I have a set, but I don't know where I got it.

SteveDX89
08-29-2005, 12:22 PM
I got a set at Advance auto. They work although they could be a bit smaller.

08-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Guess I can try advanced then. The set at autozone was pretty big, but I felt safe using them (maxima). just trying to get the honda running/riding a little better since it gets better mpg and is fun to drive. these are factory struts with 230k on it, lol. i'm considering painting it too, but right now that's a little ambitous. i can't stand the huge black bumpers and my aint is flaking everywhere. it's sick really, but the engine is doing fine.

maka_RTH
08-29-2005, 01:32 PM
i just took mine to a les schwab and they took it apart for free. you could try that route

88Accord-DX
08-29-2005, 07:44 PM
If you want to make your own spring compressor, here is a link on how to do it.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=42690

maka_RTH
08-29-2005, 09:34 PM
eh, i just know they're utah. i was just driving from my apartment to my parents to work on the car, and i had brought the strut with me, and they were right there on the way :D

08-31-2005, 11:24 AM
There are a few places I can try I guess, even if it would cost $10-20 it could be worht it. I would consider myself a little bit dangerous and creative most of the time, but building a wooden compressor is even too risky for me. Not that it can't be done, b/c yours obviously worked, but I'm thinking about my maxima springs which had to be compressed about 3 inches and would have taken my head off had the clamps slipped. Can you get the stock springs compressed with very little effort, or do they actually need to be squashed quite a bit and with lots of force?

maka_RTH
08-31-2005, 03:34 PM
i dunno that i'd try doing the front by hand. i actually did one on the garage floor, and it was quite annoying to get the nut off, then the strut went shooting behind me between my legs.., and it took me a sec to find it under some stuff, lol. the rears could be compressed by hand..., but yeah. what i liked about the afermarket springs, was that i could start threading the nut almost without compressing the spring at all.