PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: PhydeauX.....

88LXi68
05-05-2002, 04:55 PM
Hey,
Do you remember me sending you those pics of the dual SK Racing Carbs?? Well, I just purchased a 88 DX hatch and was wondering if they would work on it? Is the intake manifold the same as the prelude one? please let me know cause I have an LXi and I am new to the carbed stuff.

Steve

PhydeauX
05-05-2002, 07:26 PM
That manifold wont work, you'll have to make one. Putting the carbs on there should make it a fun car though. Since you have the lx-i you can always take your time and play with the dx, if your going to put side drafts on there you'll definitely need a back up car, its not a conversion that gets done in a day. I don't think I have made an update on my project recently. I was trying to adapt a b16a 2xDCOE manifold to fit my a20a, didn't quite work out. The manifold will fit on there fine, but the carbs tip up almost 20 degrees, they have to sit level to work right. I was trying to adjust the manifold, but due to some poor workmanship on the part of the guy that made the manifold I decided to scrap it. The flange he made was below my standard, one port was badly mishapen and another was off by about 3-4mm. I'm now trying to make one. They are pretty strait forward to make. They way I'm going about it is to get an old carbed manifold from a junkyard can cut the flange off. I found a place online that sells precut aluminum dcoe flanges so I am ordering a pair of them, $45 a piece for the flanges ouch. That takes care of both sides of the manifold. Then I'm going to take a piece of thick walled aluminum tube and bang it into the shape of some runners. A friend of mine is a certified welder and has access to a good TIG welding rig so I am going to take all the parts to him and have him put the whole thing together.

If you wanted you could get a lude motor and drop it in there, it would make more power with those carbs on it then the stock a20a1, but the a20a1 with those carbs would beat the lude motor no problem. I could try to make up a second dcoe manifold as I do mine, but there are a few things you'd have to put up with. One, I have no idea when I'll get it finished, I've never made one before and I don't know how long it will take, I can guess that it will take a month, but that could be way off. I woudln't ask for money upfront just incase somehting happens, but I would be a bit mad if you didnt buy it off me when I was finished. As for the cost, it would probalby be somewhere between $150 and $200, I've only started to price out materials so I don't really know. Its kind of a flakey deal but since I don't even have a prototype its the best I can come up with. If you want to do it well have to work out the detals soon because I am just about to place my order for the materials. Hey if there actually becomes a market for these things I could start to manufature them. There are also DCOE style throttle bodys for you efi guys who want quad tbs. Maybe I can start a business ;).

You seem to have just about everything you will need to convert to the carbs besides the manifold. From the pictures I can't tell if you have all of the throttle cable linkage or not. I can see the balance linkages but I don't see the cable bracket or anything else. But probalby all you will have to spend money on is jets. Those carbs a probalby going to be jetted pretty close but you might have to tune them a bit. You do have the redline filters, they are a pain in the ass, might want to think about some k&ns or the foam socks that go over the velocity stacks. If you want a fun project out of the dx go for the carbs, just adding them should get it faster then your lx-i. Throw a cam and header on it and have some real fun with it.

andy

88LXi68
05-06-2002, 07:22 PM
So the manifold wont work? :( I didnt really want to put too much money into this hatch since I only paid $50 for it. I dont really want to spend that kind of money on a manifold for this car. Are there any kind of alternatives?? Thanks for the reply Andy.

SWELLS
05-06-2002, 07:27 PM
What intake are you lookin' for, sorry i'm not good with the numbers

88LXi68
05-06-2002, 07:35 PM
I am looking for a manifold that will fit TWM SK Racing Dual Carbs on my A20A Carbed. The current manifold I have is from a Prelude 1.8.

SWELLS
05-06-2002, 07:36 PM
I see, well i'm gonna be no help to you. Sorry

PhydeauX
05-06-2002, 09:11 PM
Well, theres not much you can do with them then. A custom manifold is the only way to mount those carbs to that engine.

andy