PDA

View Full Version : Battery light comes on after.....

hytro
08-29-2005, 07:21 PM
well as the title says the battery light comes on for some odd reason i had the car cheked and they told me it was the alternator so i got that out and i took it to go be rebuilt when i got it back i put it back and hoping the car would startup quickly it didnt so i gave it a jump start that worked so i left the car on for a good 30 min but when i turned it off i tried restarting the car again it did on its own but the battery would get low on the voltage and i got it replaced so with my new battery i started it up and it did it worked fine but after a while the damn battery light came on again the starter also sounded like it need a replacement so i did that and it worked fine and everything but now the light comes on again and after a while the battery dies i am like wtf the battery is new but battery that they gave me is smaller compared to the one i had this one i i belive 550 cold cranking amps while the other one that the car had was 650 cold cranking amps also the light came on cause i would turn on my head lights and my ac unit the battery light just turned on i would turn them off and it would turn off but after a few min the light would come on even after i would turn off my ac unit and head lights could this be cause my new battery is to small or could it be that i need new wiring for the battery cause the ones it has are pretty old and corroted or do i need to replace both????? please help cause i need to get my car running A.S.A.P. i would like a quick response thank you very much in advance

oh yea i forgot to add the car turns on quickly once i give it a jumpstart but after a while the battery light comes on again and when i try to turn it on again the car doesnt and the starter makes a wierd noise but when i asked my nieghbor to give me a jumpstart it it turned on quickly so leaving it at that please i need some responses as soon as possible thank you very much

lostforawhile
08-29-2005, 07:38 PM
you said your battery cables are old and corroded? you probably need to replace them it sounds like the battery isn't charging. make sure you clean the point where the ground goes to the body too. to clean off all that crud use baking soda mixed with water. have you checked the cable from the alternator to the underhood fuse box? there is also a fusibe link in the fuse box,if it blows the alternator won't charge the battery. it might also be loose or have a hairline break in it. use an ohmmeter and check the resistance from where the cable attaches to the back of the alternator to the positive battery terminal,with the battery disconnected, if it's open or high resistance you've got a problem. somewhere in there is also a fuse for field current going to the alternator,if it's blown or bad the alternator won't charge. i think it's in the fusebox under the dash. it should say alt. if the old alternator went bad a short could have blown this fuse. make sure the alternator is grounded good to the car body,sometimes crud on the alternaor mounting points will cause a problem. same with the engine to body ground. if it's bad no charge. i ran an extra ground from the alternator to the body for security. oh,look at the plug on the back of the alternator and make sure the terminals aren't broken or corroded. after you look at these things and it's still not charging,you may have to have an on car test done. oh one more thing,charge the battery up all the way with a charger,alternators aren't designed to charge a battery from dead,it's really hard on the alternator.