PDA

View Full Version : clutch installation questions ?

ACCORD EX
08-13-2002, 02:38 PM
hello everybody !
i intened to do a clutch installation soon !

i wanted to ask a coupl of questions !
1. do i need to support the engine from beneath ? and why is that ?
2. does the tranny come out from under or from above ( the engine bay ! ?
3. does the alignment tool comes with the HONDA GENUINE clutch?

thank you very much !

MIKE

YK86
08-13-2002, 03:37 PM
The tranny should come out from underneath. You won't have enough room to get it out from up top. If you have access to a car hoist, it'll make it much easier (lots of room and you can use a tranny hoist). If not, you could use an engine hoist and drop it down safely. And as a last resort, you could always bench press it.
You should support the engine since you unbolt the rear mount which is bolted to the tranny. You will also remove the cross memeber.
In my non genuine kit (I think it was called Fenco), I got a plastic alignment tool.

shepherd79
08-13-2002, 04:51 PM
well, i changed the clutch last summer.
i just used two tall stands, just jack you front as high as you can.
i didn't putt anything to support the engine it never moved anyway.
plus i am not sure if the tool will come with clutch, you may have to check with dealer. if you want the tool i can send you one. i think i still have it in the garage. and don't worry about the cost.

Dutchboy
08-13-2002, 07:55 PM
Bench press it.!!!!!

Hehehehh....
.on my old accord i used man power.....I pulled it off from the top and got it clear of all stuff and jacked the car back up and slid it out,,,,to install lift and use a 5 foot bar to align it... :smokin:

I dodnt notice that the clutch kit didnt have the alignment tool in it till i was putting it all on and it was to late to get one so used my heavy cousin and the butt end of a ratchet and a huge bar to pry the tranny over and it miraculosly went right on...LUCKY,.,,
worked like a charm...

oh the memories......
good luck
Ben

ACCORD EX
08-14-2002, 12:00 AM
thank you very much guys for this great replies ! :D
just a small question YASSU ! did you mean the cross member of the exhaust ! ???

MIKE

YK86
08-14-2002, 12:32 AM
I meant the beam that goes from under the rad to where the steering rack is (it has the toe hook on it).

ACCORD EX
08-14-2002, 12:41 AM
thanx Yassu ! :)

MIKE