PDA

View Full Version : Help , 1985 Accord

1985accord
09-02-2005, 07:33 AM
About 2 years ago I purchaced a 1985 accord hatch unfortunatly it has a carb and is automatic. I was wondering if anyone had advice where I could find aftermarket parts, for this year model.

Cheeseburger
09-02-2005, 09:15 AM
search bor thats all i can say. there is alot of info on this subject

1985accord
09-04-2005, 08:00 AM
What about links for where you guys find parts.

gomopar440
09-04-2005, 08:30 PM
ive got a california model 84 accord lx w/the 3bbl carb on the cvcc engine. I swapped the carb for a webber 32-36 and am adding a turbo off a 03 wrx. al i can say is get ready for some fabrication or trade the car if that scares you. not too many other ways to get mods done.

XBoom135
09-04-2005, 09:37 PM
What do you want to do, and what is your budget. Many members are fairly good at getting the most bang for the buck. If you want this car bangin' you better have a lot 'O' bucks! It can be done though. Saves a bunch of dough if you do most of the work yourself. Welcome to the board. There is hope!

1985accord
09-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Personaly I like the idea of fabrication, I know I'm going to be getting a weber converson for her here in the near future. As for budget I do not have one for say. I have about 3 jobs right now so as I get money from those I'll be adding more and more to the 85'. So far I've oped the exaust some and a few other minor touches.

I'd like to lower her some and stiffen up the suspension. Also woulden't mind adding a mild body kit or something else to help the appearence.

The only thing that really scares me about this car is

1) Its really the only car I have at this point. So if I screw something up its back to buming rides.

2) vacume hoses. Wile I'm starting to trace some of them down and finding several I do not needs, its still enough to make me want to run for the hills.

I'd love to add a turbo. But I don't think that I have that much no how at this point.

XBoom135
09-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Worry not, the knowlege will come. Especially if this is your only ride. Something always breaks! This is my only car for the moment too. Sucks when you run into a stuck bolt at an hour till dusk and you have to put everything back together to get to work in the morning. Then you still didn't get anything done. It's been an extremely rewarding experience to work/learn on this car though. Best way to figure the car out is to get dirty. Well, and read the manuals.

PhydeauX
09-08-2005, 08:13 AM
... I'd like to lower her some and stiffen up the suspension. Also woulden't mind adding a mild body kit or something else to help the appearence. Suspension is a though subject. First of the car is 20 yrs old an was in its prime well before there was much of an aftermarket for tiny japanese cars. The few parts that did exist for it are very hard to find these days.

I'd stay away from any drastic lowering. Aside from throwing off the roll center of a car that already doesn't handle to well if you drop it more then an inch or so, there is no easy way to correct the camber. You'll be chewing the inside edeges off from all your tires unless you make a set of adjustable camber plates for the car.

I have a set of coil overs on mine, and they are cranked up to just about the stock ride hight. The coil overs I have were from some kind of civic or something (I don't know exactly what there were for) A friend bet me I couldn't make them fit.. and well I won the bet.

As far as what I know is available follows. Koni at one time made shocks for the car. I'm fairly certain they've been discontinued for years now. Someone on here managed to get their hands on a set. IIRC they are inserts so you may be in luck and can still find an insert with the same dimensions.

King Springs (http://www.kingsprings.com) Has springs for the car, both standard height and lowered. They are in australia so you get a good buy on the springs with a favorable exchange rate but its not cheap to ship.

WhiteLine (http://www.whiteline.com.au) Has sway bars for the accord. I have a set of their bars, I still run the back one, though I am not impressed with the way it monts. The front bar interferes with the chassis (can be cured with a hammer) and I found it to be too stiff for my setup so I kept the stock front bar. They atleast have US distributors so shipping isn't as bad.

vacume hoses. Wile I'm starting to trace some of them down and finding several I do not needs, its still enough to make me want to run for the hills.99% of these are for the emissions system. A weber conversion gets rid of all but 3. Most of the engine wireing is emission system as well.

Thats pretty much a sum of the entire aftermarket right there. ClassicGarrage.com (http://www.classicgarage.com/accord4.html) Carries some stuff for the 85 accord. They used to have a full body kit for it, but it seems that they only have the bumper cover left. They also are still showing the front konis.

Other fun things you can do to the car:
1) Prelude rear disks. These pretty much swap right on. There is a slight bit of welding involved as you need to lengthen the adjusting rod on the e-brake handle. The prelude e-brake cables are about an inch shorter then the accord ones.

2) Engine swaps.
The a20a from the 3g accord is pretty much a bored out version of whats in your car now. It bolts in with minimal modifications (you pretty much swap the ES2 accessories and mounting brackets on to it and drop it in). I don't know if the 85 auto trans will bolt to it, but the manual will.

You can also use an ET from a 85-87 prelude with dual carbs. I don't have much info on this swap as far as getting the carbs to work. But it would look cool and the motor is easy to convert to dual side draft webers.

3) Transmission swaps. First off I'll assume you'll be swaping to 5 speed if you're going to go through all this trouble. You'll have to get the pedals, shifter,linkages, clutch cable, etc from an 85 accord. You can follow the 3g accord how to (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=102) on the actual process, just use the 2g parts and ignore anything efi related. You have a few options for transmissions. First off is the 85 accord 5 speed cheap and easy, would problaby come from the same car you got the rest of the 5 speed parts from. A better choice would be the 85 Prelude 1.8L's five speed. The one with the dual carbs I mentioned before. The 85 is the most desireable because it has sportier ratios then the 86-7. The 3g accord trans wont work because the 3g's use larger axles. You could use the larger accord axles if you were able to find the hubs from an 85 SE-i, which is a very rare find. There is also the hybred integra transmission. This my personal favorite and what I am running with now. The howto is here (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=7387) and the only thing you need to change is to use an 85 accord or prelude diff (must come from a 5 speed).

andy
[EDIT] The links in there that don't make any sense were put there by the forums, I don't know how to turn that stupid feature off so ignore them[/EDIT

1985accord
09-12-2005, 08:45 PM
thanks for the info.