PDA

View Full Version : my 87' honda accord...

undefined01
09-02-2005, 10:46 PM
is stressing me out... since i don't know where to begin i'll tell it from the beginning. I got the car for a 100 dollars from a coworker, it worked fine had a couple problems but nothing serious. Then one day it got stolen and the driver side window was busted and the ignition cylinder was ripped out, the police found the car 4 blocks away still intact only my dad's tools were stolen. So i let it sit for a few months and decide to take a look at it and maybe fix it up, cleaned up all the glass and tried to start it up and i get nothing, jumped it and it starts but then the tach is rising while in park it gets up to 3500 rpm so i shut it off the the guage and overhead lamps pop. Switched batteries out and bought a cylinder from checkers now it starts up fine but the tach immediately goes to 3000 and rises i have never let it get to 4 it sounds like its going to explode so i shut it off wait a bit try again but put it in drive and it jerks forward a bit and the idle sits at about 1200 until i put it in park or neutral. It seems like the automatic choke you guys always talk about but it could be many other things since it all revolves around the carb. Don't know much about cars searched a bit and googled everything else ..so help me out please ? thanks =)

A20A1
09-02-2005, 11:59 PM
It's usually not the choke

It's more then likely the fast idle

Before you go checking everything, Check the:
- oil level
- coolant level

Search 3geez for fast idle or fast idle adjustment or fast idle screw or fast idle unloader

also

cold start
cold idle

undefined01
09-06-2005, 10:39 AM
thanks for the help... i checked all my levels and i needed coolant but it still ran high so i throttled every couple minutes and its now at 900 ran it for a good 1/2 hour and everything works now..thanks!

3rdgenhatchDX
09-06-2005, 02:00 PM
mine does the same thing when left to sit for a while...needs a headgasket too!