PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Valves

SteveDX89
08-13-2002, 03:16 PM
Wow, it's been a year since I've had my car and constant valve tapping when accelerating uphills. It's to the point where I can't stand it anymore. :mad: I've tried Restore and Risilone to try to help it and it only lasts for a little while. The funny thing is that when it's less than probably 65-70 degrees out, it purrs like a kitten. I'm thinking that my timing belt might be stretched a bit and it's letting the valves open a little bit too long. My timing is advanced and I use 89 octane gas. I've tried 92 octane and it doesn't help either. Does that sound like a timing belt replacement soon or a valve adjustment? I've talked to Monro about the valve adjustment and was told that if it's been doing it for a while, the valve adjustment won't do anything. What's the deal? Help is greatly appreciated.

smufguy
08-13-2002, 03:27 PM
yo, ur car is designed for 87 octane, why do u need 89 anyways? what kinda engine oil do u use? reg 10-30 right? i dont think u will ever need a valve adjustment cause i have never heard anyone messing with it. check ur timing belt if its frayed. but i doubt the knocking is because of it. are u sure its ur valves tapping? if it was for a long time and its really valves, then ur car should be dead by now.

YK86
08-13-2002, 03:45 PM
Actually, that is exactly why you should get a valve adjustment. Nobody really does it because they either don't know they have to do it or doesn't think its important. I think the recommened interval was 30,000miles. I do mine once or twice a year. If it's never been done or hasn't been done for a long time, you'll notice a quieter and smoother running engine and maybe a bit more power. I did a how to so you might want to check that and try it yourself. Then you have nothing to loose since it's free.

shepherd79
08-13-2002, 04:47 PM
may be ou should retarded your ingition. just a little it helped me.

A20A1
08-13-2002, 06:30 PM
I do a valve adjustment once every two months... the day before tracks.

I think Monro needs some adjustment... and so does your valves.

what oil do you run?
I use mobile 1 15w-30 super syn... but it's hella expensive... $6.50 a bottle.

hondaisthebest
08-13-2002, 08:00 PM
Yes you better check your valve !! Because if you never adjusted you gone have a lot of lash that will cause your tapping noise.
If you have problem with the timing belt your engine will run like shit or be already dead...

ps:our are engine is designed to run with 91 octane or more if your timing is advanced!!!!!!!!!!!!

ACCORD EX
08-13-2002, 11:58 PM
you better adjust your valves ! it's pretty easy in our cars !
and check your ignition timing !

MIKE

SteveDX89
08-14-2002, 02:22 PM
What special tools would I need to do a valve adjustment? If it's really that simple, I'll tackle it myself. I know I need a timing light to adjust my timing but I don't want to buy one cause they're kinda expensive. Is that even right? I use regular Pennzoil 10W-30 motor oil. I put the high mileage stuff in the last time and was thinking about switching to synthetic. Thanks guys.

YK86
08-14-2002, 04:04 PM
You can pick up a cheap timing light off E-bay for $20. I got one but never use it.....Anyways, for adjusting the valves, you need a few basic tools (flat head, a couple of metric sockets) and a feeler gauge. It's a thing you can buy for about $5-$10 with a bunch of thin pieces of metal that are are certain thickness. Make sure you get the one with the right thickness ranges. I did a write up in the how-to section.

SteveDX89
08-14-2002, 04:54 PM
Cool beans. That's another reason why I don't want to get a timing light. It would basically be a wasted investment, especially on something I would use once. I can't piss away any money that easily.

1988starter
08-15-2002, 11:07 AM
Here http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4646
the proper valve clearences thanks YK86

Lester Lugnut
08-15-2002, 06:56 PM
3G - 12 valve motors use a 12mm combination wrench, straight-blade screw-driver and feeler gauges to adjust valves.

Also helps to first remove all 4 spark plugs in order to facilitate engine rotation. Place a rag over each plug hole once the plug is removed to ensure nothing accidentally falls in a cyl.

Valves in these motors generally get TIGHTER and not looser. Tight valves cause power loss - valve remains slightly open, hence compression loss.

rocky2
08-16-2002, 03:12 PM
You say it runs like a kittin when its cold. I would verify cooling system is functioning correctly. 3-gs have a habit of running hot due to a thermostat stuck. Next time you go out, after reaching point of knock just feel all cooling hoses,they all should be around same temperture,if not theres a problem..All engines knock/tap when reaching very high temps.

SteveDX89
08-16-2002, 05:40 PM
The temp. gauge never moves. It's always in the same spot everytime. I just flushed and filled the coolant a few months ago as well.

ACCORD EX
08-17-2002, 12:07 PM
temp gauge may be faulty try disabling the thermostat and see if the tapping stops !

MIKE

SteveDX89
08-17-2002, 02:41 PM
I did the adjustment today. Christ, what an adventure! The valve cover gasket is a pain in the dick to get on. With a quick set of extra hands, I got it after several tries my self. The tapping has been mostly eliminated. I say mostly because there is a residual tap every once in a while. Nothing like it was before. I'll have to check the thermostat soon. I don't think the temp gauge is messed up because it has risen once before but who knows? I also had a spark plug in cylinder #1 that I was able to remove without a socket. Got that sucker in there tight now. I tried removing the A/C belt to give more a little more power, I couldn't get it off so I cut it and went for a little cruise to see any difference. Lo and behold, no power steering. I almost kicked myself in the ass for that one but I got a new belt and we're ready to go. Tomorrow is front brake rotors and tranny fluid. Fun fun.

carobotics
08-18-2002, 11:02 AM
rofl!!!! Oops. Gotta hate that armstrong steering.