PDA

View Full Version : Engine mount problems, Intake and header too (ARGH)

carotman
09-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Well, since I replaced my OEM intake with the Edelbrock unit, I had to remove the top torque rod on the engine. This didn't seem to be a problem until I installed my DC header. The DC header was meant to be used on a B20A5 but was modified to be used on a B20A. The thing is that the O2 sensors were relocated to sit below the front X member.

It didn't seem to be a problem fro the previous owner but it is for me. The secondary O2 sensor keeps popping out. My guess is that the engine moves a bit too much in the enginebay and that the O2 sensor hits the X-member and just pops out. I have a side and rear solid mount already ant thought it would be enough. The front mount is brand new also. I guess that the front mount isn't up to par with the Eurethane ones when the top torque mount isn't in place. I really CAN't put it back and I don't want to switch back to a stock intake for now. The B16A intake seems to be OK for the top mount but I'm not sure if it interferes with the strut bar.

I will try to fill an old front mount with eurethane and see if it solves the problem. I will also install a single O2 sensor just before the flexpipe like I had before. This way, I will make sure the problem disappears.

Anyone has experience in filling the front mount with Eurethane?

Thanks for your help.

Vanilla Sky
09-04-2005, 10:00 AM
i'd fab up a different strut rod. take two and cut them up, and get around the manifold, but keep the same mounting positions. seems like the best option to me.

bobafett
09-04-2005, 10:14 AM
i've never done it, but the brown 3m window weld is the stuff that you are "supposed" to use i think/ just make sure its a eurethane forumla, and not somthing else lame like silicone

ZackieDarko
09-04-2005, 11:18 AM
duct tape can fix anything ;)

A20A1
09-04-2005, 11:35 AM
I saw in the majestic honda page there there was a picture of what looks like a front torque hanger? I'm not sure where it connected to the engine though... also majectic doesn't list what it is though... look at #14.
ENGINE MOUNTS (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=ENGINE+MOUNT)

It looks like it takes the place of the front damper.

carotman
09-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Well, I played today with a sapere front mount I have. It seems that it allows a good amount of movement. The purpose of this mount is more to support the engine and absorb vibrations. The top rod seems to be the one that will prevent the most engine movement.

I emptied the frond mount of it's oil (there wasn't much left) and I will just fill the inside and outside with window adhesive like I did with the other mounts. This will prevent most of the engine movement and hopefully solve my problem.

Vanilla Sky
09-05-2005, 07:42 PM
i'm betting it'll still move.

SteveDX89
09-06-2005, 03:31 AM
Why not just relocate both sensors farther along in the downpipe?

carotman
09-06-2005, 06:39 AM
If I do that, I will just run a single 4-wire O2 sensor like I did before I installed the Hader. I would have to remove the downpipe either way.

Also, this must be done anyway if I want to convert to OBD-1.

But first, I want to see how the engine reacts to the eurethane front mount. It will still move but it can't move as much I'm 100% positive on that.

carotman
09-06-2005, 06:01 PM
ok, I put some eurethane in the mount today, I need to let it cure for a few days ( at least 3) I will keep you guys updated.

Vanilla Sky
09-06-2005, 06:31 PM
i still have a feeling you'll be going to a welder soon.

Strugglebucket
09-07-2005, 09:01 PM
I saw in the majestic honda page there there was a picture of what looks like a front torque hanger? I'm not sure where it connected to the engine though... also majectic doesn't list what it is though... look at #14.
ENGINE MOUNTS (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=ENGINE+MOUNT)

It looks like it takes the place of the front damper.
#14 bolts to the auto transmission. at least it did on my '89. maybe it was only on the later models?

A20A1
09-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Hrm I have an 89 Auto.. but I dunno if I've ever seen that.

carotman
09-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah, that mount isn't present on the manual trannies tough. maybe I could adapt it. Anyways, my front mount just finished it's curing process. I should install it un a day or 2 and I'll give you the results

carotman
09-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Well, I installed the mount today.... now the engine is solid as a rock. It doesn't move AT ALL.

That's some good news. This means that if you ever need to get rid of the torque mount, just fill the front mount with eurethane and forget about it.

Strugglebucket
09-16-2005, 01:06 PM
cool. when i break my next front mount i'll try that.