PDA

View Full Version : a20s ? swap

scooby
09-04-2005, 08:27 AM
hi i am in need of some answers. alright i have two accords, 1 is an 89 a20 efi, two door auto, 2 is an 87 a20 carb 4 door with a stick. 89 needs a bottom end, 87 needs a tranny. my question is can i use the bottem end out of the 87 and match it up to the 89 efi. if any one has an answer, thanks.

Legend_master
09-04-2005, 10:27 AM
hi i am in need of some answers. alright i have two accords, 1 is an 89 a20 efi, two door auto, 2 is an 87 a20 carb 4 door with a stick. 89 needs a bottom end, 87 needs a tranny. my question is can i use the bottem end out of the 87 and match it up to the 89 efi. if any one has an answer, thanks.

I am not the most knowledgeable on person the a20 motors, but the bottom end of the carb motor should work just fine with the EFI head. I assume you are putting the motor into the 89 so that you dont have to deal with the EFi swap. Now I am not sure, but I read soemwhere that the Carb motors have a little higher compression *I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE COMPRESSION THING*. Good luck and I hope I helped.

P.S. I am pretty sure the trannies will match up also.

A20A1
09-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Yes, any A20 block will work with any A20 head. The only real major visable difference is everything attatched to the head; like the thermostat housng, the intake manifold, and the distributor. Also the alternator on the EFI uses 3 wires, and the alt on the carb uses 2 wires.

scooby
09-05-2005, 06:06 AM
thanks you guys have been alot of help, I think will do just that. In reply to the one question, my plans were to take the bottom end from the 87 use it and rebuild the tranny myself and stick them both in the 89 2door. the 89 has a better body.
check this out the 89 I bought from a customer at our shop for 35 bucks, and it's got 334,000 miles on the original motor before the rod started making noise then quit. it's also had alot of work invested over the years, and i 've done all the work.

thanks again for all your help,
ps any ideas for perfomance mods, the only thing i found so far is a header? what can i do with this thing