PDA

View Full Version : HELP, cant remove spindle/axle nut

newaccorddriver
09-05-2005, 02:08 PM
currently im in the process of doing a 5 speed swap, for starters i am trying to remove those 2 axle/spindle nuts that are holding both the axles in place... currently i have a 32mm socket and a 18inch breaker bar, i tried standing on it and that didnt seem to work, so them i started 'jumping' in the hopes of getting it loose. none of that has worked, so im open to any suggestions...

shepherd79
09-05-2005, 02:26 PM
get a torch and heat it up.
don't heat up too much or you will melt the nut or damage the wheel bearing.

88Accord-DX
09-05-2005, 02:45 PM
There is a locking tab punched on the spindle/axle nut, don't forget the pry that out too. I found out a 1-1/4" six pointed socket works best on it, along with 1/2" breaker bar.

lostforawhile
09-05-2005, 02:50 PM
you need someone to step on the brake with the car on the ground and a long pipe on a breaker bar, it's really on there tight. make sure you knock out the staking on the axle nut. i've had to use two people on these cars before to break that sob loose. it depends also if someone used a giant impact wrench to tighten it before or if it's never been removed.

fur_fenton
09-05-2005, 05:19 PM
when I first got my 87 accord, I had to change the axles, to get the nuts off the spindles, i had to have someone stand on the brakes and use a 7 foot long pipe on the breaker bar, and that almost didnt work. good luck

newaccorddriver
09-05-2005, 08:30 PM
when I first got my 87 accord, I had to change the axles, to get the nuts off the spindles, i had to have someone stand on the brakes and use a 7 foot long pipe on the breaker bar, and that almost didnt work. good luck

from the looks of it, the guy that did the job didnt do it completely, looked like they just banged it on with a gun and called it a day...

lostforawhile
09-06-2005, 02:53 AM
once it's been taken off it won't be as hard to do in the future,it really tightens up with time,it even says in my service manual to have someone step on the brake with the car on the ground to loosen it. every old honda i've ever worked on has been the same with the axle nut. that is the tightest fastener on the car. you lucked out with yours, someone had probably broken it loose already at some point in time. I believe they may be locktited on at the factory also.

Blkblurr
09-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Mine was as easy too. I'm the original owner of the car and that was the first time it had been off.