PDA

View Full Version : Help 1986 Accord Carburetor

d21x
09-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Hey guys, my cousin has an 86 Accord carburetor engine. When you start the engine (pumping the gas twice), it will either idle at 3k, or stall. I've noticed that this rectangular plate at the carburetor is either fully open or fully closed. Is there a way i can adjust this or is there something broken? Please let me know or give me some info on carburetors. THanks!

d21x
09-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Oh and FYI, i know nothing about carburetors....but i do have a lot of experience with the 4th gen accords and EG civic's.....

A20A1
09-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Sounds like something may be broken...

Possibly a thermovalve sticking

You should check you coolant level just in case.

hondaaccord_86
09-07-2005, 02:00 PM
well, not sure if you know, for the carb engines you got to warm up the car at the beginning of the day. this is best for the car.
if the car is idling really high or stalling at low rpms, try to clean the carb with carb cleaner. you can buy a can of it at an autoparts store. spray the can through the "rectangular plate" when it is open. spray a little at a time, you should see debris come out of the exhaust and the car might sound like its stalling. run the car for about 10 minutes at around 1500 rpm.
hopefully this helps. good luck!
-ed

A20A1
09-07-2005, 06:25 PM
I was thinking he might have a problem with the choke.
As for fast idle not engaging well;
You can reset the linkage everytime you press the gas and it should drop to whatever idle stage it's supposed to be at. Though you should check you coolant and the thermovalves cause both the choke opener and fast idle unloader are tied into thermovalves... which run off of coolant.

d21x
09-17-2005, 07:32 AM
I was thinking he might have a problem with the choke.
As for fast idle not engaging well;
You can reset the linkage everytime you press the gas and it should drop to whatever idle stage it's supposed to be at. Though you should check you coolant and the thermovalves cause both the choke opener and fast idle unloader are tied into thermovalves... which run off of coolant.

can anyone show me a picture of the thermovalve, im not exactly sure where or how it looks like.... thanks!

A20A1
09-17-2005, 12:38 PM
There is a diagram here:

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11067

Scroll down till you see the image.
it lables one of the thermovalves at the rear of the intake manifold. It's on the dirverside of the car near the firewall.

the second thermovalve is erased from that particular diagram.

d21x
09-17-2005, 01:54 PM
There is a diagram here:

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11067

Scroll down till you see the image.
it lables one of the thermovalves at the rear of the intake manifold. It's on the dirverside of the car near the firewall.

the second thermovalve is erased from that particular diagram.

how do i tell if i have a bad thermovalve?

A20A1
09-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Buy a chiltons repair manual or downlod the engine section from Pauls website.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=25137

It should contain information of carbed fuel system repair, however their diagrams are not of the US accord, they are the European accords... so it may be better to stick with the chiltons.