PDA

View Full Version : 88 accord will not start

casp
09-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Hi,

I have a 1988 accord with about 175,000 miles. It died while driving and won't restart. It makes slight popping noises, but will not start or even sputter.

I checked the fuel pump, it is getting voltage and there is pressure at the engine.
I checked the spark plug wires, and they all have a hot spark to ground.
I checked the injectors, and they got about 3 volts during cranking.

The only problem that I could find is that the timing belt is loose. I estimate that it has about 3/4" of slack. The tensioner seems to be broken or seized. Is it possible that It skipped a few teeth and now the timing is off?

Thanks for any help or suggestions, hopefully I can fix it before it gets impounded.
Jim

A20A1
09-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Yes that is very possible, it would also be a reason you were hearing popping, though popping in my mind may sound different.

On a funnier note; I've gotten sea sick from the valve timing, or valve clearence being off. I've had them off before and the car would rock back and forth when idling. very odd. :barf:

:)

shepherd79
09-08-2005, 08:04 AM
I would have to agree with mike on this one. most likely your timing is off. check the timing (you can download the shop manual, we have links on this website), and also check the compression in the cylinders.