PDA

View Full Version : What are ALL the parts of a cruise control?

offthahook
09-08-2005, 11:54 AM
I bought a sweet 84 Accord hatchback base/DX/S model. It does not have factory cruise control. But the LX hatchbacks in 84 and 85 did have factory cruise. I want to add it to my "S" model using parts from an LX. Obviously, I need every single part of the system from the LX. The engine is carbureted. I know for a fact I will need a steering wheel, a combination switch, cluster, cruise switch (by the ashtray in these cars), the servo/actuator, cannister and every freaking thing that connects all these fun parts (vacuum lines, boxes). Uncut wires and cables of course. I figure Honda stamped out the frames all the same so mine should have the brackets and mounting points roughed in on my car. The switch port has a little cover over it on the inside of the car.

I guess my main question would be... is there any kind of "hidden" control module/brainbox/unit, etc. that may not be obvious when pulling the cruise units from the donor car? You know, hidden under a seat, under the stereo, in the glovebox, etc... I figure the carb. engine relies on a lot more mechanical stuff than a FI engine would. I know this is a 86-89 board, but figured the LX guys on here might be familiar enough with the carb. to hook me up. Or maybe I'll hit the jackpot and someone will know for sure on the gen 2.5 Accords. Man, the ONLY Accord that didn't have cruise in 84 was the base hatch... Thanks!

Check out this thread if you know of any of these cars lying around... Need parts for 84-85 hatch (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=46068)

lostforawhile
09-08-2005, 05:50 PM
if yours are like the 3gees you will need the entire pedal assembly off a cruise car. on our cars the cable attaches to a special bracket that is part of the pedal asssembly. i have put cruise in my 86 dx and i still have to finish it up, i've been tinkering with it for a couple of years now. i put all of the icons in the instrument cluster and stuff. i used an 89 lxi switch assembly with the cruise slip ring and of course the wheel with the cruise buttons. oh yea the brake and clutch switch and the connectors that plug into them. they are probably the same on the 86-89. on our cars they have a special circuit in the brake switch. this tells the cruise control to disconnect when you press the brake. they also use the clutch switch, this does the same as the brake switch. I will tell you it's a big job, there is no seperate harness for the cruise. the factory wiring harness eithier has cruise or it doesn't. if it doesn't you need all the connector plugs and it's wire it yourself. I have a lot of experience doing automotive wiring and i do a lot of the complicated stuff, but it's still a big job to do this cruise. not trying to scare you, just saying how it is. :)

Strugglebucket
09-09-2005, 01:11 AM
my '89 lx-i had a control box buried up under the driver's side kick panel area.

lostforawhile
09-09-2005, 03:18 AM
yea you need the control box and the pigtail that goes with it, oh you might need the instrument cluster from a cruise car too, thats so you can get a speedometer with the speed sensor for the cruise.

DBMaster
09-09-2005, 06:24 AM
I have installed aftermarket cruise control systems before and found that they actually worked better than the factory one on my LXi. It does not do a very good job of maintaining speed going up hills.

If you don't mind that it's aftermarket make it easier on yourself and install one of those. :)

thegreatdane
09-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Did anyone ever use the original cruise control switch on the steering wheel together with an aftermarket cruisecontrol unit?

lostforawhile
09-09-2005, 12:39 PM
i don't see why not,they are just a positive 12 volt ouput, you could use them to power relays for the aftermarket cruise. same with the power switch.

BlueBead
09-09-2005, 12:59 PM
This is a killer thread guys! it does makes me glad that both of my current 4drs have cruise., but if I was going to do this though, it seems like I'd want to go aftermarket with a stock wheel.... the switches are just a simple wiring thing and I like the stock wheel.

lostforawhile
09-09-2005, 02:48 PM
I need to finish mine,all i need to do is put in the pedals and hook up the cable. oh the chiltons manual l honda 75-88 has the info for adjusting the factory cruise. it also has the wiring diagrams. the factory cruise should hold + - 2 mph if it's working right, honda doesn't build junk, unless it's a digital clock. :lol:

offthahook
09-09-2005, 03:40 PM
This is a killer thread guys! it does makes me glad that both of my current 4drs have cruise., but if I was going to do this though, it seems like I'd want to go aftermarket with a stock wheel.... the switches are just a simple wiring thing and I like the stock wheel.

That may be a simpler idea, but who knows? I just like a clean install vs. a hack with a cheap aftermarket product. Fun.