PDA

View Full Version : 1988 accord dx problems in the moring help

xbajbusx
09-08-2005, 09:56 PM
ok here is the problem it has become little cooler out and i'm having big problems in the moring with the car ,when u start the car it fells like is chocking on gas and it smells weird out of the exhust and when u start driving it the rpms are weird it will go up to 4k rpms and for a while and then back to 1.5k and the car while run like shit and up and down ,but after i get to work at 8am ,and i started at 12 it will run find only like there is problem with choke or somethink ,and when u start the car in the moring and u shut it off and start back again the car has problems starting you have to hit the gas pedal to the flooor and it fells like its floaded ,any ideas i really don't want to spent to much on this car,so please helps me ,(i spray the carb cleaner in to the carberator and it didn't help )

Acid X
09-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Well, have you been letting the car warm up in the mornings? These cars need time to warm up. When you first start it when its cold, it'll start idling really high, and might sputter and whatnot a little bit. It's only because its cold.. Our cars do weird things when their cold.

Anyway, you need to start the car and let it idle for a while (it will idle high until its warmed), until the temp gauge reaches the bottom line, then if you tap the gas, the idle should drop down to around 1000rpms. If it doesnt drop down immediately, you need to give it a little more time, and then try tapping the gas..

xbajbusx
09-09-2005, 08:12 AM
it works like that when is warm out but when it get colder it just start acting up

Shaggsbud
09-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Carbed models do that...I used to own an 88 DX...and it did the same thing...if i ran it while it was cold sometimes the choke would stick and it would idle at 3k no matter what i did...then when I ran it for a while and then stopped and let it sit for maybe a few hours...it would run sluggish and jerk alot until it hit the powerband....

I personally think that its because once those carbs get so old they need to be rebuilt...but thats just me....

BlueBead
09-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Try changing both fuel filters
there is one under the hood near the wiper arm motor(small, inline filter)
and one behind the rear left wheel. My old hatch (RIP) used to cough and die 1st thing in the morning and in cold weather so I finally replaced both fuel filters and it was like night and day. I think it was like $15-20 for both (CAN$) and it made a huge difference in the morning.
Even if the filters are not the problem, changing the them would make a huge difference.. I know my FI filter is supposed to be changed every 10,000 km; but how many of us can remember the last time we changed the fuel filter?? I think that is probably the most often overlooked maintenance on our cars.
I know some carbs die, but after the carb cleaner and new fuel filters my old hatch drove like a new car.
Good luck !

spanky
09-10-2005, 09:01 AM
i had a similar problem w/ this with my shadow. when it was cold it wouldn't start (unless you threw starting fluid in) and after about noon like you said it would start right up. i found out that it was my fuel pump.i hope it isnt your fuel pump b/c you'll have to drop out the tank.(i think) . but i'd try putting in new fuel filters .

xbajbusx
09-18-2005, 08:54 PM
and one more think the car smokes bad it smells like fuel

A20A1
09-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Check your coolant level... and make sure the coolant is flowing properly, also make sure the coolant/water mixtureratio is the right ratio for the weather in your area.

It could be a choke problem. But choke operates off electric choke temp and coolant temp via the thermovalves.