PDA

View Full Version : stealth trunk box top baffle q's

mykwikcoupe
09-08-2005, 09:59 PM
so if I was to biuld a stealth box like the kind that mimics the bottom of the trunk. Id make a fiberglass box molded to tthe spare tire well. Id have to add a little hight to compensate for anything but how do you replicate the rigidity and strength of the top of the box or bottom of the new floor. Ive seen them before but never biult one and I want to be able to put stuff down there (not heavy of course) but not worry about it ruining the sub? Im lost on the concept of the protective layer. If its solid and its vented out the front towards the rear seat then it becomes a 4-5 order box correct and youd have to design it that way. If I just put a solid layer of something down the sound would penetrate very well and id be muffled and such. If I perforated it id have to worry about smaller things boucing off it and sounding like shit beacuase its make noise. Looking for a little help here.

Other than that I like the JLw7 line probably a 8-10 but my friend has these RF series 2 8s that just came out and hes loving them. I havent read up on them yet but whats the concencus

acessence
09-09-2005, 10:12 PM
just mount a rigid piece of MDF board , and place it on the bottm of the trunk, just use some spacers, large pieces of rubber i used around to raise it up, and u can go quite high up in the trunk, and its stirdy and looks great here, i havent mounted my sub, but heres what it looks like
http://www.acessence.com/carpic/P1010107.JPG

mykwikcoupe
09-09-2005, 11:16 PM
really having the mdf over the subs dont drown them out or hinder peformance ina ny way

Ludi Mali
09-15-2005, 01:10 PM
you could also do a bi-level floor. with a cutout for the sub and then put another panel over it raised 1/2" or so. with stuff in the trunk i don't think it would be readily visible.

hondaaccord_86
09-16-2005, 04:35 PM
really having the mdf over the subs dont drown them out or hinder peformance ina ny way

are you sure?

lostforawhile
09-16-2005, 05:51 PM
I had thought of doing this but did something different. the way to make the encloser is to coat the entire metal part of the trunk with a fiberglass release agent,then lay fiberglass mat,mat is better for this because of strength,cover the inside of the spare tire well and for a few inches on the flat part. put about two or three layers at first to start. now carefully pop out the entire piece and clean the trunk area. what you are left with is a perfect duplicate negative image of the spare tire well area in fiber glass. the next step is to add strengh, add layers of mat to the INSIDE of the piece,don't add to the outside because you don't want to change it's shape. the shape on the inside isn''t as critical,add layers until you reach the desired strengh, now take a piece of mfd that will fit in the trunk area,cut to the shape of the trunk floor. now you need to attach the fiberglass piece to the underside of the mfd. you'll have to figure a way to line it up like it was in the triunk, now fiberglass the piece to the bottom of the mfd using the edge molded into it. you'll have to be careful to do the entire bottom of the board so it's all level. at this point it should drop right into the spare tire well and te mfd should be flat on the trunk floor. the next step is to cut your area for the sub. you'll have to cut the hole just big enough for the sub to drop into first,the screw holes should be sitting on top of the mfd. next take a router with a pilot, and recess an area around the hole just deep enough for the metal part of the sub basket to sit in and be level with the edge of the mfd. in other words it should all look flat. attach the sub and cover with a piece of protective metal mesh screwed to the mfd. next cover the flat surface of the mfd with a loose weave automotive carpet.glued down. the entire thing should drop right into your trunk and look just like the factory floor. the sub is almost undetectable. you will also need to anchor the mfd down so it doesn't rattle. another note is to cover the entire bottom of this thing with something like spray dynomat. thats to prevent rattles between the enclosure and the trunk floor. i hope this helps it's so much eaisier to show someone then to try to explain it. god luck. :lol: