PDA

View Full Version : so i searched...and searched again...

kaltenacht
09-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Ok I actually ran like three searches on the forums before i decided to post, so please no flames!!!!!! i tried! hehe kk, any way, ive been wanting to fix my light inside the car for sometime now, cause most of the little bulbs dont work... for example, none of the lights on the heater control seem to be working... so my question is, i want those led blue bulbs, where can i find them to buy? what do i need to look for? second, if im trying to figure out how many volts are being sent to those bulbs, cant i use a voltmeter to check it with? ne help would be great, even if you can point in a direction of a better search...

I searched

LED
LED Gauges
LED Bulb

HELP!

racerx
09-10-2005, 08:28 AM
yeah, one of my friends bought some blue LED's on eBay. He got 2000 bulbs and 2000 resistors for about $30. Don't even bother going to radiocrack for these things. They'll charge you $3 per bulb.

Use a voltmeter to test for power. One of the easiest things you can do is just put a wire on the output side of one of your fuses. I had a few wires coming out of my fuse box... but if you zip tie them up and out of the way, it's totally clean.

Then just find a suitable ground. Put the positive wire on the positive lead on a voltmeter, and keep touching random bolts until you get power. There's your ground.

Just to let you know, though, the lights not working could be a sign that your lighting relay is bad, or the lighting switch (the one on the steering rack) has a short. That's what happened to me. There was a short in the switch, which fried the relay, which fried a fuse, and it took me ages to figure it out...

Blkblurr
09-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Check to see if you have voltage to the current bulbs in there now. You should have 12V if the car is not running. 13.6 or so if it is. You need to put a resistor in line with an led to limit current going through it. Put a 510 ohm or so 1/4 watt resistor in series with each BLUE led. I get my led's at superbrightleds.com. The higher the mcd rating the brighter the led. You should be able the use the existing wiring that powers the current bulbs to power the led's. Blue and white led's are more expensive than others and require a different value resistor. Also led's have polarity. You must connect the + and ground to the correct lead. Hope this helps

kaltenacht
09-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Helped out alot actually, but i didnt think id have to put resistors in line with the leds... thats ok though, cause hell i can figure it out. thanks for the name drop of the website, i was trying to search around for some internet sites!!