PDA

View Full Version : F20A2 Carbed

87zc1crx
09-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Hi

As itīs my first post here let me wish you all happy reving.

Personaly i own a mk1 and mk2 crx but iīm involved in ecu tuning and turboing engines here in Portugal for some time now.
The reason that brings me here is:

- yesterday a friend of myne came with itīs father old car. Itīs an accord of some year iīm not shure but seems between 88-90. It has a F20A2 carbed engine with auto gearbox.

As we have a Civic EG9 to mess with i thought about using this block right away. Iīve been searching for 8 hours now and canīt find any info on head swaps or gearbox swaps.

As my expirience is within D and B series i wanted to know if i can swap in any head from a b16 or b18 or even a d16.

Reason is that we could use a vtec head and turbo it.
CAn anyone help us on this?

Thanks for your time and help.

thegreatdane
09-10-2005, 01:57 AM
You cant use a B or D series head on a F block. Some people have used a H22 vtec head on a F22B block, but I dont know if the H22 head will fit the F20A block.

87zc1crx
09-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Too bad i canīt swap easely anything...
What would you recomend at least for fuel injection on this baby?
Can i use a manual gearbox?

What intake mainfold can i swap in?

Thanks

87zc1crx
09-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Come on guys!

I have the engine lying arround. Itīs like new engine from factory.
Can someone give me a hint?

Thanks

thegreatdane
09-12-2005, 10:03 AM
The F20A engine from the 90-93 accords was made with fuel injection as well as carbs. So if you want FI and a manual transmission just grab it from a 90-93 2.0 EFI accord.

Immeraufdemhund
09-12-2005, 10:40 AM
ok, the f20a didn't come in any usdm motors. that's a jdm dohc motor. the f22a (1,4,6) are all fuel injected. The h22 drops right into the cb7 chassis (read your VIN number it's 4,5,6) As far as i know none of the f series motors are carbed (but i've been wrong many times... were do all the motors come from in portugal... mostly jdm, edm, usdm???

the d and b series heads have been talked about being swaped on f series block, but will not give any benefits because the f series has a little bit lower end torque then most other of the motors. The h series is about as close as your going to get with swaps. If your going to swap the head get a h23 head and lower timing gear and do some swapping. You'll need the f23 head gasket. This is being talked about at cb7 tuners (http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb) they talk mainly about 90-93 accords.

about the vtec part it's a littler harder to find but there is a h23 vtec JDM. it's a bit hard to find though. I forget the reason but it appears that more people are using h23 heads instead of the h22 head on the f22a# block. I'm wanting to do the h23 my self and turbo it, but we'll see what happens, i might just go NA and tune it. Then i can disconnect my parasail!!!

smufguy
09-12-2005, 11:17 AM
3rd gen accords (86-89) never had a f20 motor in it, its an A20 motor mostly or a variation called the BT or a BS and then the B20A motor.

The f20 series motor came in the 4th gen accords and in the UK they did have carbs on them. there are also F20B (i guess) which came in the accord type-R in the UK and also the F20c that resided in the S2000. The head swap on the A20 is pretty much nill. There was one guy who successefully swaped a B21 head onto a A20 block, but i dont think the motor ever ran, there are a lot of things to worry about such as the head porting, gasket lineup and also the bore spacing. water inlets and oil jackets are another thing to tackel and finding a right timing belt and getting the timing right is another big issue.

as far as the F20 motor ur refering to, go to a 4th gen accord forum like accordinglydone.com or something like that to check it out.

thegreatdane
09-12-2005, 11:55 AM
I mean the F20A series not THE F20A. In europe at least the F20 engine with FI has the engine code F20A4. They had 133hp.

87zc1crx
09-13-2005, 01:17 AM
Ok.

Thanks all for the the help given so far.
Now i got a litle confused as for real swap choices!
Mainly my biggest problem is the gaerbox and intake header.
I have to take a look and find out if i can use come intake for it rather than carb. Also i need a manual gearbox to use this baby on the 94 Civic EG9.
I never saw a F20A2 in my life (in fact iīm limited to D16/B16/B18), so i donīt have a clue wich gearboxes i can use with it.
The plan is to use this baby even in sohc form to put on the eg9 and adapt a turbo.
I think that this could give a nice strong block for a daily turbo running about 7psi on a T3 .50 garret.
If itīs any good this engine leans into the firewall (or backwards).
I would love to use it as itīs a 2.0!

Also i want to say that if i can help in any way regarding electronics iīd be glad to. I have already some experience in ecu tuning and i use Crome Pro/Ostrich or Ubberdata/Ostrich for RTP.

My best

thegreatdane
09-13-2005, 07:40 AM
If i were you and were about to swap in a F series engine, I would go with the 2.2L one instead. I'm sure there's lots of them in the US. You need to use a transmission from one of the F series engines (F20 / F22). I'm not sure if the H22 and F22B transmissions is a direct swap but those would be hard to find anyway.

87zc1crx
09-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Just a thing.
I live in Portugal.

smufguy
09-13-2005, 10:13 AM
the F22 tranny will bolt up to the H22.

carotman
09-13-2005, 01:44 PM
The simplest head swap for this engine is the head from a DOHC F22B prelude.

87zc1crx
09-14-2005, 02:16 AM
Guys

thanks for all the replys and ideas you gave me!
After giving it a lot of thought i decided to put it aside and wait as it will bring me a lot of problems in my engine swap.

For that matters, iīll be using a B16A3 that i had lying arround to put on the civic eg9. Then use the big bad turbo i have.

Regarding this F20 if anyone whats it or in parts i can gladly sell.
Even the whole body or parts from it. Like sunroof, etc...

Itīs too bad i canīt make my dream froject yet... i want to have a turbo 2L engine in Portugal.
for now iīm the only guy in Portugal that has a working turbo crx as daily driver. No other honda turbo runs in this country.

Thanks