PDA

View Full Version : >>My 6 puck clutch problems!!!<<

adams86lxi
09-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Well i put a clutch specialties 6 puck clutch in my car the other day and had some problems. I installed it no prob but when i went to adjust the clutch cable something went wrong.

I had the clutch adjusted perfectly so i thought and i was pushing on the pedal a few times and something felt like it popped or something else went wrong. Suddenly i had tons of slack in the cable and i had to take all of the slack out until i couldnt adjust it any more. Well the clutch is working fine but it grips like right off the floor and it kinda bugs because i want it to grip alittle farther off the floor but i cant lossen the cable any more because it looses slack??

So i took off the cable and pulled on the lever that moves the throw out bearing on the input shaft and i can push the lever up and down about 2 inches before i cant pull it up and more. SO what could this be???

Here is a pic of the cable and all the slack i had to take out of it.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/382000-382999/382073_144_full.jpg

SteveDX89
09-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Pressure plate or throwout bearing could be fucked.

b8er
09-10-2005, 06:37 PM
i dont think its the pressure plate, i would figure it to be either the throw out bearing or the leaver inside that moves the throwout bearing, just my 2 cents

AccordEpicenter
09-10-2005, 06:43 PM
is the arm for the cable at the tranny loose or could it be the pedal or the cable itself?

adams86lxi
09-10-2005, 07:05 PM
is the arm for the cable at the tranny loose or could it be the pedal or the cable itself?

the arm that moves the throw out bearing in and out move about 2 inches or so until its stiff and i cant pull it.

adams86lxi
09-10-2005, 11:45 PM
FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i actually fixed it by sticking big washers inbetween the adjuster and the cable and it allowed me to tighten it down more and it worked good.

But now i got bigger problems. I killed my third gear racing a civic si. I missed third gear since im still getting use to this clutch because ive only had it in for 2 days and i killed my third gear compelty. It grinds horribly into third now! FUCK!!!

Acid X
09-11-2005, 12:07 AM
You need to stop bein so rough on the clutch! Haha. A new 3rd gear shouldnt be too expensive from a yard. You just have to rebuild your tranny, lol.

adams86lxi
09-11-2005, 12:24 AM
You need to stop bein so rough on the clutch! Haha. A new 3rd gear shouldnt be too expensive from a yard. You just have to rebuild your tranny, lol.

Yea, lol. But where you gonna find a b20a tranny in a junkyard lol.

88accordalltheway
09-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Yea, lol. But where you gonna find a b20a tranny in a junkyard lol.
haha i was thinking the same thing, theres a guy selling a b20a with a tranny in the marketplace, id try getting just the tranny from him if you can.

Acid X
09-11-2005, 12:56 AM
Oh yeah. Forgot about the b20a tranny. I think its really going to cost alot of money to fix that. Unless you can somehow find an adapter or summin' to another tranny.

PhydeauX
09-11-2005, 03:27 AM
It's probably just the syncro thats gone on 3rd, maybe the fork two. The gears are constant mesh and hardened steel so they usually come out of this fine. The syncro is brass and alot easier to damage. Take the syncro out and hope that honda used a similar part on something they sold stateside. A good tranny shop might be able to help you on this.

andy

adams86lxi
09-11-2005, 08:05 AM
It's probably just the syncro thats gone on 3rd, maybe the fork two. The gears are constant mesh and hardened steel so they usually come out of this fine. The syncro is brass and alot easier to damage. Take the syncro out and hope that honda used a similar part on something they sold stateside. A good tranny shop might be able to help you on this.

andy

Yea, i think thats what im going to have to try. I know its just the syncro but i kinda want to replace the whole second gear and third. Because those are the gears that have been taking alot of abuse lately.

thegreatdane
09-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Carotman made a good faq about what tranny partnumbers for the B20A was available in the US: http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=43448

Looks like you cant get the syncro though, atleast not by comparing partnumbers but you might get lucky and find something that matches even though the part numbers are different.
Some people get syncros shot peened to make them stronger, and it seems to work.

PhydeauX
09-11-2005, 10:58 AM
I'd bet the actual gears are fine. The syncros handle most of the abuse. To each his own though. If you get really bored you could try to see if parts from other b-series trannies will swap into the b20 trans like I did for the a20 trans. You may even be able to regear the whole trans, who knows. I'm sure some ppl here will love you for it.

andy

XBoom135
09-11-2005, 11:33 AM
I've been playing around with the idea of swapping a few, if not all, of the gears out. Let me know how it pans out. Good luck.

thegreatdane
09-12-2005, 08:40 AM
I'd bet the actual gears are fine. The syncros handle most of the abuse. To each his own though. If you get really bored you could try to see if parts from other b-series trannies will swap into the b20 trans like I did for the a20 trans. You may even be able to regear the whole trans, who knows. I'm sure some ppl here will love you for it.

andy

yea, seing how the B16A diff. fits the B20A tranny I would also choose to look into the B series tranny parts.

adams86lxi
09-14-2005, 03:37 PM
well ok here is the problem i have been driving it for awhile now even with third messed up and here is my new problem i am having.

It seems to drive about the same but now there is about 1 1/2 inches of just limpness to the top of the pedal. Im thinking it probbaly is the cable so maybe i will try that next.

o and when you push the pedal down it feels real grainy. Sorry but thats the only way i can describe the way it feels.

adams86lxi
09-14-2005, 05:01 PM
anyone??^^^

thegreatdane
09-15-2005, 07:16 AM
Is there any noise coming from the tranny with either the clutch depressed or pushed down?

Did you loosen the arm that holds the throwout bearing from it's axle when you replaced the clutch?

Try unhooking the cable from the tranny and see if the wire inside moves freely back and forth.

cardoc33
09-15-2005, 08:01 AM
The cable is about to snap completely. Just replace it, the're cheap and easy to install. The cable is progressively getting longer(streching, wires breaking), thats why it feels grainy, you feel the broken wires inside the sheath rubbing.
PhydeauX is right about the gears. You probably just hashed the sychro ring on third gear. I've rebuilt a dozen or more honda trannies thru the years and have rarely seen a bad gear. Even on ones that grind badly. Honda sychros are pretty weak to begin with, plus yours are how old? You drive it hard, too.

FyreDaug
09-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Just curious, but with the car off and you put it in 3rd gear. Hit the clutch in and start it up, can you let the clutch out slowly and feel the car move? If so, its just the synchro, and not the gear. Right?

cardoc33
09-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Doing that does not really test the gears or sychros. You're just feeling the clutch engage. The gears are already meshed.
You need to drive it and shift it thru the gears test the trans.

www.trivalleyclutch.com/3gparts

adams86lxi
09-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Is there any noise coming from the tranny with either the clutch depressed or pushed down?

Did you loosen the arm that holds the throwout bearing from it's axle when you replaced the clutch?

Try unhooking the cable from the tranny and see if the wire inside moves freely back and forth.

no noise from the clutch at all. I put a brand new clutch cable on it yesterday and the old one was toast. But it still didnt fix my problem. I still have all the slack out of the cable with abunch of washers and it still barely disnengages. I tightened it down again and now my new cable feels alittle grainy and i cant figure this shit out at all!!!!!!!!!

cardoc33
09-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Ok, new cable, same problem. Stick your head under the dash
with a flashlite and look at the cable stop on the clutch pedal bracket. Push the pedal up and down and look for flex in the bracket. It may be cracked. Look for cracks. If you see it moving AT ALL, replace it. If you don't find a problem there, well, it may be time to rip the trans out again. Sorry. :(

adams86lxi
09-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Ok, new cable, same problem. Stick your head under the dash
with a flashlite and look at the cable stop on the clutch pedal bracket. Push the pedal up and down and look for flex in the bracket. It may be cracked. Look for cracks. If you see it moving AT ALL, replace it. If you don't find a problem there, well, it may be time to rip the trans out again. Sorry. :(

thanks for your help bro. Ill check it out and let you know what i find.

FyreDaug
09-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Doing that does not really test the gears or sychros. You're just feeling the clutch engage. The gears are already meshed.
You need to drive it and shift it thru the gears test the trans.

How would it not test the gears? If its actually fucked it wont do anything when you try to slip the clutch to the wheels. 3rd gear wouldnt be good on the clutch to go from a stop, but if the car moves you know the gear isnt fucked.

cardoc33
09-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Well, technicaly, you are correct. It tells us the gear isn't totally stripped(teeth off). If that were the case, he would have mucho noise in 3rd gear. Lots of noise, while in gear, not when shifting into gear. And that is where the difference is. His problem was grinding into gear. That is a function of the synchomesh ring and it's mating teeth on 3rd gear. The driving teeth on the gear is separate from the sychro teeth.
So, yes, it does test the gear, but not the part we are talking about.

FyreDaug
09-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Well, technicaly, you are correct. It tells us the gear isn't totally stripped(teeth off). If that were the case, he would have mucho noise in 3rd gear. Lots of noise, while in gear, not when shifting into gear. And that is where the difference is. His problem was grinding into gear. That is a function of the synchomesh ring and it's mating teeth on 3rd gear. The driving teeth on the gear is separate from the sychro teeth.
So, yes, it does test the gear, but not the part we are talking about.

Right, yeah but he was saying he destroyed 3rd gear or whatever. There is also a small chance that if the gear was all fubared, it would grind and make noises and not neccisarily(sp) be the synchro. I mean on the small off chance the gear was royaled fucked up, it would grind when trying to engage.

But your right, its trailing away from the problem, I apologize. Carry on, I dont really have anything else to say I suppose. Good luck man

EDIT: And Im just speaking from common sense and my limited knowledge of transmissions. So it was just an idea.

cardoc33
09-17-2005, 10:59 AM
That's cool, not trying to get down on you, just wanted to clear up a possible misconception and to help him understand what might be happening. It's hard enough to diagnose over the phone when I'm talking to a customer, let alone a forum such as this.
Please, always, express your ideas. Don't let me or anyone else tell you not to. It's your right as a member of this forum.(sorry, that's the Dad in me speaking.

adams86lxi
09-17-2005, 11:38 PM
yea, i tore my tranny out today and i dont really see anything wrong? The throw out bearing is moving alittle rough on the input shaft but other then that i dont know what is wrong?

Someone told me that i could of over tightend the pressure plate? could this possibly be the problem?

cardoc33
09-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Did you ever look under your dash at the pedal bracket?

There is no such thing as "overtightening" your pressure plate.

If everything looked OK in the bellhousing, then your problem has to be in the pedal assy or cable.

Then again, it could be the nut behind the wheel. :)