PDA

View Full Version : Dash light problem, Help please

bigbrat41
09-11-2005, 01:50 AM
I cut the wires to the glovebox light ( intentionally ) and since have NO dash lights. All indicators ( idiot lights ) light upon start up and the head lights and brake lamp out work. I'm just starting 5 straight 12 hour days and have little time. Last night i checked all my fuses and cannot find one labeled Dash Lights nor did i notice 1 that looked burnt. My Haynes manual was no help.
But as mentioned time was at a minimum.
I also tried to tie the 2 glove box light wires together, no good.
Any suggestions, if you have any please post as it will be late before i can try anything OR reply.
thank you
greg :rockon:

Blkblurr
09-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Hopefully you're not tieing the + wire to the common. I hope you meant putting the wiring back like it was! Otherwise you are shorting out the circuit and will blow a fuse. Do you have an electrical schematic showing the glovebox light? It will tell you which fuse to check.

bigbrat41
09-12-2005, 01:37 PM
first, Thank you for the repy
yes i tied both together but Only after the dash lights were gone. i had checked the fuses and found nothing and as a long shot thought that maybe i had interupted a circiut and tried the tying together. i'll check my Haynes AGAIN but found nothing of any help the other night. thanks again for your time and if you have any other ideas......
By the way i was born and raised in a small town just outside of Lima, OH
( GO BUCKS ). I have spent a lot of time in and passing thru Dayton. My wife loved to spend money at the Mall.
Greg aka: bigbrat41 :rockon:

Blkblurr
09-13-2005, 08:02 AM
I will do some looking in the schematic of my service manual and see if I can find the common link between the two. When you say dash lights, do you mean the back lighting?
My grandmother and aunt lived in Lima for many years. Good to see someone from the area on this board. Not too many from here.

POS carb
09-14-2005, 03:32 PM
if you cut the wires at the same time you may have cause a short circuit. Probably the license lights or hazard lights fuse is blown. Don't forget you have a fuse box under the hood also. If the fuses are all good then the illumination controller may be fried. The dimmer switch rarely goes bad but that too can cause a no-light condition

POS carb
09-14-2005, 04:07 PM
test fuse # 14 under the dash

bigbrat41
09-14-2005, 04:53 PM
blkblur, yes the backlighting for the instruments. I can't tell how fast i am going to work in the dark, as if going to work isn't bad enough.
Checking fuse #14 now ,if thats not the answer i'll try another dimmer that i have on hand, tomorrow night..
thanks to you all
greg aka:bigbrat41 :rockon:

bigbrat41
09-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Fuse #14 did it!!!!!!!
thanks again all :rockon: