PDA

View Full Version : Pacesetter v.s. S&S?

x89LXIturbox
09-11-2005, 06:39 AM
What flaws do these headers have verses one another? Who is running the S&S headers at this time? What kind of power gain could i expect to see if I installed one or the other? These questions and or comments would be alot of help to me. Thanks

86AccordLxi
09-11-2005, 06:58 AM
Only one person that I know of (strugglebucket) is using the S&S. The two different headers vary drastically in their cots. Pacesetter is cheap (~$150 or so) and the S&S is twice that. Do a search for pacesetter and read reviews since many people have them here.

Alex

x89LXIturbox
09-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Yeah i have been reading about the pacesetter for a while and most people have them but they talk like they are not worth getting. If the S&S is way better than the pacesetter header i would spend the money and buy it.

Pro_Mod_Accord
09-11-2005, 10:52 AM
I've got a Pacesetter and no complaints here....Noticable improvement in power band...nice pull from Mid to Peak Rpm....More driveable power

nswst8
09-11-2005, 12:09 PM
PaceSetter Is a good improvement over stock, just get ready to modify it alittle so that your not squeaking down the road. Like having a flex pipe welded in place of the ball joint.

And replacing the paper/fiber gasket with metal gaskets. Other than that they will give you a grin when after you install it.

Unless you find someone to part with a DC Sport header.
I have 3, 1 installed and she is sweet, 1 brand spankin new, and a good used one.

Good luck

A20A1
09-11-2005, 01:38 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37261

I would like to know that as well... but honestly the S&S seems to have a little more quality in the work.

Someone said the pacesetter EGR and AS pipe fittings protrude into the primary pipe... which is a bad cause it will be a restriction.

TheWatcher
09-11-2005, 02:32 PM
S&S CLEARLY pwns pacesetter.

Only flaw in S&S is CONFLICTING testimony about whether the EGR lines up correctly (OR NOT). Do a search for the 411 on the EGR (potential???) problem.

Peace.

Acid X
09-11-2005, 02:41 PM
What do you have to do if it DOESNT line up correctly?

TheWatcher
09-11-2005, 02:57 PM
What do you have to do if it DOESNT line up correctly?
Don't know. The 3g owner w/ the EGR problem just didn't use the EGR, IIRC. I guess there is no emissons requirement there.

Again search for the 411.

Peace.

nswst8
09-11-2005, 03:24 PM
The only way that you can install the EGR is to remove the Dizzy and the thermostat housing at the head and then remove the EGR tube from the EGR valve and start threading tube to header not all the way just enough to avoid cross threading. At this point you'll still have to manipulate the header over the exhuast studs I used a pry bar to help slid it in place.

After it is seated against the head, bolt the EGR tube back to the EGR valve (loosely). Now begin to snug the bolts alittle at a time until all are snugged.

Now you'll have to snug down the EGR tube to header until tight. I believe a 22mm 23mm wrench is what I used.

The power steering & A/C hose will have to be loosened from their brackets and tied out of the way.

"Note" If you are worried about your radiator remove it. easiest way I know is to remove the shield over the radiator. Just remove the 4 bolts and the hood latch from the shield and the Rad comes right out w/o removing the fans from the rad.
Romoving the rad will give you all the room you need to install the header w/o any problems.

Its well worth it.

Acid X
09-11-2005, 04:21 PM
You have the S&S, nsw? Have you had the pacesetter at all and can you tell us how much better the performance is over the pace?

EDIT: Also, what's a Dizzy?

b8er
09-11-2005, 04:32 PM
dizzy=distributor

A20A1
09-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Is the S&S 50 State legal?

TheWatcher
09-11-2005, 06:14 PM
I don't see why not, but you should probably call them to find out.

If it's DOT legal, and doesn't say anything like "for off road use only", and it's aftermarket or OEM for the car, it will normally pass recon. However, the EGR is going to have to fit. You can't just plug the hole and not connect the EGR and expect to pass recon.

BTW, just because something is DOT legal, doesn't mean it will pass recon. However, with a header, you don't need to worry about exceptions IMO.

Peace.

A20A1
09-11-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm asking cause he was in California...

as for recon, they can forget it. I'll just drive around unregistered like I did in my accord for 3 years.

nswst8
09-11-2005, 06:35 PM
You have the S&S, nsw? Have you had the pacesetter at all and can you tell us how much better the performance is over the pace?

EDIT: Also, what's a Dizzy?

I've had the PaceSetter and now have the DC Sports Header.

As I stated above the PaceSetter is far better than stock, but you will need to make the small modifications any muffler shop can weld in a flex section and just obtain metal gaskets to replace the fiber ones that come with the Pacesetter.

Strugglebucket
09-12-2005, 01:05 PM
the s&s is NOT 50 state legal. the egr bung that comes welded to it does not line up any where near stock and it's not even the right size fitting.

aside from that it's really nice. but don't even try to use it for emissions.

x89LXIturbox
09-12-2005, 01:48 PM
thanks for all the info on the headers guys. I think i'll just go with the pacesetter and see how it works out.

Acid X
09-12-2005, 03:18 PM
I dont think it even matters if its 50 state legal. If they were to see the header during the visual inspection, which they obviously would, i'd fail anyway, just because it's not stock.

I'd have to switch it out for emissions anyway, probably.

But then again, i have a friend who knows a guy...

Anywho, where would i find some replacement metal gaskets for either header? Is the pacesetter 50 state legal?

x89LXIturbox
09-12-2005, 03:39 PM
pacesetter is 50 state legal