PDA

View Full Version : Ran into another problem!

Shirako
09-11-2005, 12:33 PM
I was gonna try and fish out the magnet stuck in there and pop in a new spark plug and just try and start it(for those of you who remember what happened)
I knew the batter was dead and hooked up the car to a charger and tried to crank the car to see if it would move the pistons so I could get the magnet out of the cylinder, however the car wouldnt crank and it just clicked alot, it didnt do this before I let it sit for the past month.
While the car is on the charger there is an electric clicking sound coming from the black box in the upper left corner of the engine compartment, aswell as some more clicking coming from somewhere behind the battery.
Any ideas?

A20A1
09-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Yeah there is a BLUE? solenoid or Black solenoid near the battery that will make a clicking sound. Though I'm not sure if thats normal for it to be going on and off so rapidly.

Shirako
09-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Well also, just for kick I hit my turn signals the lights stay on, on the dash and outside, also the lights on the instrument panel buzz really loudly.

lostforawhile
09-11-2005, 01:59 PM
yea the battery needs to be disconnected when you are charging a battery that dead, the charger isn't designed to power the car like that. you could realy burn out some stuff in there.

Shirako
09-11-2005, 02:12 PM
So what could have burned out? I did the same thing before I stopped trying to fix the car a month ago, hooked up the battery charger and turned the car over and it turned, now I just get clicking. maybe I should just scrap the car lol :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

88Accord-DX
09-11-2005, 02:22 PM
This is about the magnet stuck in your cylinder. You can take off the distributor, look at what cylinder it is in. Get a socket big enough to fit on the crankshaft bolt, & slowly turn it untill the rotor on the distrubutor is almost pointing to the number cylinder. If you crank the motor over with the magnet in there , your more than likely going to crack the top of you piston or bend a valve.

lostforawhile
09-11-2005, 02:33 PM
So what could have burned out? I did the same thing before I stopped trying to fix the car a month ago, hooked up the battery charger and turned the car over and it turned, now I just get clicking. maybe I should just scrap the car lol :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:you didn't nesc. burn anything out just don't have the key on when you are charging the battery. that isn't perfect dc,it's poorly filtered square wave dc. the book says to disconnect the battery when you are charging the battery from a mains charger(one you plug into the wall) that buzzing is from the charger trying to power the car.

lostforawhile
09-11-2005, 02:36 PM
This is about the magnet stuck in your cylinder. You can take off the distributor, look at what cylinder it is in. Get a socket big enough to fit on the crankshaft bolt, & slowly turn it untill the rotor on the distrubutor is almost pointing to the number cylinder. If you crank the motor over with the magnet in there , your more than likely going to crack the top of you piston or bend a valve.i believe i had said that a while back, i believe his landlord had told him to turn the key over or something. he was the one who had the magnet stuck in there,the landlord that is. i have an idea i'm not sure if they still sell them at wall mart or not,but there is an adaptor that goes on a two aa mag light, it has a flexible fiberoptic piece on the end of it, i used it to look for damage after i had broke the timing belt. it small enough to fit in the spark plug hole, but it lights up the entire cylinder inside. if you can't find one i'll loan you mine,you probably need to get a mag light. they are about ten dollars for this size. if i loan it to you just send it back when you are done.

88Accord-DX
09-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Worst case senerio, he can yank the head off. Just need to get new head, exhaust manifold gaskets.

Shirako
09-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Thats exactly what I cant do lol, I dont have the tools to do it, nor do I know how, plus I dont know what damage the screw has already done seeing as it feel in through the carb while the engine was running. :uh:
i'll look into getting a mag lite and looking for the attachement on wed when I get paid. :cool:

lostforawhile
09-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Thats exactly what I cant do lol, I dont have the tools to do it, nor do I know how, plus I dont know what damage the screw has already done seeing as it feel in through the carb while the engine was running. :uh:ok relax,i want you to pm me your adress so i can send this to you,then you'll be able to see in the cylinders and see whats in
there,i usually don't loan out tools but seeing what a mess you are in i will. there are ways to get that out, it may just be rattling around in there or something. disconnect the battery and don't start the car until you get it out, don't turn the key until you get it out.

nswst8
09-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Just pull all the spark plugs and rotate the crank by hand untill the cylinder you want is close to the bottom edge of the spark plug hole your working on, get an extendable magnet and remove the other one.

lostforawhile
09-11-2005, 04:45 PM
well there is a screw somewhere in there too,he's not sure if it damaged anything. it was sucked down the intake from the carburater. it destroyed the end of one of the spart plugs.

Shirako
09-11-2005, 07:23 PM
And there were spot burns on one or two of the othe plugs =p i'm hoping if I can get the magnet and screw out that the car will run fine, maybe the loss of power was just the dead cylinder from the blown plug.

Oldblueaccord
09-12-2005, 01:41 AM
And there were spot burns on one or two of the othe plugs =p i'm hoping if I can get the magnet and screw out that the car will run fine, maybe the loss of power was just the dead cylinder from the blown plug.

Might and I say might be able to rent a bore scope and look in there. there handy for that kinda stuff alotta mechanics have them now days. Its a fiber optic piece and a viewer so you can see into tight spaces. I use one at work to check for oil leaks inside motors on the printing press at work.

wp

lostforawhile
09-12-2005, 03:47 AM
i would loan him mine but it's for aircraft stufff and cost a small fortune,i would be shot,i'm going to send him a fiberoptic light adaptor, it lights up the inside of the cylinders really well.

Shirako
09-12-2005, 03:48 AM
lostforawhile is gonna send me a fiber optic flashlight attachment, i'd love to use a bore scope but I wouldnt even know where to begin looking to borrow/rent one out here, I dunno if any of the mechanics shops would have one. lol
edit: lol lost posted while I was typing! -p

Shirako
09-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Alright, charging the battery while not connected to the car fixed the weird electrical problems. lol :uh:

Oldblueaccord
09-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Alright, charging the battery while not connected to the car fixed the weird electrical problems. lol :uh:

I think the battery was low. That thing will buzz if the voltage is really low its a stuck relay.

Use the yellow pages call some places or find a mechanic and tow the car there if you think its worth it.

wp

Shirako
09-12-2005, 09:20 AM
I havent got the cash to have it towed or to pay the mechanic lol i'm getting desperate to fix it, I miss driving it compared to the Sundance.

lostforawhile
09-12-2005, 03:07 PM
all right it shipped UPS this morning, it fits a two aa mag light. i used it to look at the top of my pistons to check for damage it takes a bit to get the righ angle but once you get the piston near the top of the bore you can see the entire thing.
if that screw is in there it should be visible. when you get done just send usps i sent ups so it would get there quickly. i'm not in a hurry or anything. :)

Shirako
09-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Thanks alot, your the best! :rockon: