PDA

View Full Version : How stop high idle at start up?

operator
09-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Hi, just looking for ideas on how to stop my car on cold start up from going to high idle. I tried plugging off the fast idle valve with a piece of rubber between the valve and the throttle valve but it didn't stop it. When i start it up it goes to about 1500 rpm and slowly comes down from there. I was sure that was going to take care of it but it didn't, why and what else do i got to plug off or mabey i can't do what i want to do. Thanks!

SteveDX89
09-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Why would you want to stop it from doing that? It's supposed to.

hondaluvva
09-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Mine did the same thing, then a month later it started the revving up and down constantly. Just adjust your fast idle screw all the way down, and use the governing screw on the side of your TB to drop your idle to where you want it.

If that doesn't fix it, replace the fast idle valve, and when it starts up it will idle to where you set your TB screw.

But like previous post said.. it is supposed to idle high til it warms up... just be wary if it starts it's ususal high and low idle revving...

It's a common fault, and all 3rd gens seem to do it.

:uh:

hondaluvva
09-12-2005, 02:03 PM
oh, and if your TB idle screw is flogged out, use lokseal or some screw sealant to stop it moving, or it will just keep doing it.

Make sure you've got it in exactly the place you want it before you seal it, or it's a bitch to move.

I ended up using high tensile PVA.. .sounds weird, but it worked. lol

newaccorddriver
09-12-2005, 07:38 PM
where is the fast idle screw?(pictures would be nice too)

Oldblueaccord
09-13-2005, 12:39 AM
Hi, just looking for ideas on how to stop my car on cold start up from going to high idle. I tried plugging off the fast idle valve with a piece of rubber between the valve and the throttle valve but it didn't stop it. When i start it up it goes to about 1500 rpm and slowly comes down from there. I was sure that was going to take care of it but it didn't, why and what else do i got to plug off or mabey i can't do what i want to do. Thanks!

take the top off the fast idle you ll see and plastic plunger. Turn this in I think and it will bring the cold fast idle down. I used a quarter to turn it with. I like 1500 rpms myself and mine was over 2k until i did this. It will help with rattle at start up from lack of oil also.

wp

A20A3inside
09-13-2005, 03:25 AM
Yeah, where exactly is the fast idle screw? i have pretty much torn the enitre A20 apart, and don't remember a fast idle screw.....just for future knowledge, but i already like the fast idle.....and like previously posted....it is suppose to do that.

nswst8
09-13-2005, 03:31 AM
Directly above the Air inatke on the throttle body, the end that sucks in the air.

Oldblueaccord
09-13-2005, 04:03 AM
Yeah, where exactly is the fast idle screw? i have pretty much torn the enitre A20 apart, and don't remember a fast idle screw.....just for future knowledge, but i already like the fast idle.....and like previously posted....it is suppose to do that.

its the fast idle valve its towards the firewall side of the TB pointing upwards. It has a cover that is about the size of a quarter and a cap on the top with 2 screws. remove them and you will see a small plastic plunger you turn that.

wp

operator
09-13-2005, 05:53 AM
Why would you want to stop it from doing that? It's supposed to.

I know its suppose to do it but when were in the summer and there is no need for the engine to be rev. about 1500rpm to 1000 rpm for about 2-5 min.
The main reason that i want to stop it form doing it, is when somebody esle is using the car for what ever reason they don't know it takes a few min. for it to come down and they are shifting it from park to drive and then reverse, its hard on the tranny. So if there is a way for it on start the idle to be at 1000rpm or lower , this would be better for the tranny.

I did the screw down the plugger thing
I block off the fast idle valve all together and its still starts off at about 1500rpm

hondaluvva
09-13-2005, 02:10 PM
You need to adjust the idle screw on the side of your TB.. it's underneath a metal hose and in a bitch of a place to get to... you need a long screw driver to turn it.

Turning it to the right will drop the idle... but if it's surging between 1500 and 1000 the fast idle must be screwed all the way down in sync with the tb screw... or you'll need to replace the fast idle.

we're in summer too, and mine warms up and 1100 rpm... then drops to 750 after i drive it around for a while./

she runs sweet.

operator
09-14-2005, 04:17 AM
You need to adjust the idle screw on the side of your TB.. it's underneath a metal hose and in a bitch of a place to get to... you need a long screw driver to turn it.

Turning it to the right will drop the idle... but if it's surging between 1500 and 1000 the fast idle must be screwed all the way down in sync with the tb screw... or you'll need to replace the fast idle.

we're in summer too, and mine warms up and 1100 rpm... then drops to 750 after i drive it around for a while./

she runs sweet.

Thanks for the info. :)