PDA

View Full Version : 87 LXI missing BADLY

sedare
09-12-2005, 07:09 PM
So I know the reason...
My spark plug threads were striped on my 3rd cylinder... so a mechanic buddy of mine... got a rethread kit... and put it in the hole... but he said that something got inside the cylinder... or something was protruding... or some other BS...
But now that cylinder is missing 4 of 5 times.
needless to say... THIS IS FRUSTRATING TO NO END.

He had said that you just need to drive it and the fragment of WHAT EVER IT IS will wear down and go out a valve eventually.
this was 500 miles ago.

Do I need to rebuild my head?
or will it wear down like he says?

any other ideas?

AccordNut
09-12-2005, 07:15 PM
well since using the re-thread kit are you sure the spark plug is sitting in there correctly? i know i have re-threaded 2 of my spark plug holes and both times when i started the car the little shavings made the car sputter for about 5 seconds then it evened out and was fine. but i think the shavings did more damage than i thought since my engine is slowly making weird noises and losing power. anyway after 500 miles its not fragments, you got other issues. did you change the plug itself, maybe change the plug wire? couldnt hurt i guess although im sure you've already been through that...

worse case scenario your cylinder walls are all chewed up by the aluminum shavings :(

sedare
09-12-2005, 07:20 PM
well it was my dads friend that is the mech.
he said that after a while the fragments (that i assume are shavings but god knows they could be an entire sparkplug for all i know LOL) would just disappear and the car would be ok.
I have wanted to do alot to this car...
but 3rd gear is droping me to nuetral while I accelerate past 1.8 RP at about 33 MPH randomly. WTB A CONSISTANT ISSUE :(

at this point... everything else on the car runs well and works right (and im not counting the hole in the windshield fluid res. :o )
I got a car loan for 6k but I would REALLY miss this car.
I absolutely love it.
I mean this is the only car that I can floor going down Snoqualmee pass outside of seattle... and hit 135... and never let off the accel cause I know this car that well. (EDIT No traffic of course! Im not that stupid :) )
I dont wanna get a new car.
I WANT THIS ONE TO WORK

How much will it cost me if I had to just work on this car?
rebuild and such? (tranny and motor)
and since i doing this....

motor/tranny upgrade?

stat1K
09-12-2005, 07:35 PM
i'd say it's b16 time :sad2:

sedare
09-12-2005, 07:41 PM
haha my dad just came in and wondered what people were saying
I was like.... what would you say if I wanted to upgrade the car?
hes like its not worth it to do that.

my response?

I dont care how much it costs to get this car running. I like driving the car and therefore money is no issue. I want to upgrade the engine and tranny and Im asking how much It will cost to do this. And Im prepared to get 3-4k from my bank to do just this.

he walked out in disgust.

I like my car and I WANT IT BACK.

Oldblueaccord
09-13-2005, 12:34 AM

my response?

I dont care how much it costs to get this car running. I like driving the car and therefore money is no issue. I want to upgrade the engine and tranny and Im asking how much It will cost to do this. And Im prepared to get 3-4k from my bank to do just this.

well junkyards here I can get trannys and motors for like $200. I think its worth it. Tell him its that or a car payment every month. $250 a month for 10 months is $2500 dollars.

wp

sedare
09-14-2005, 07:57 AM
but if im gonna do it... im gonna do it right :)
vtec motor and racing model (if there is one) tranny 5spd.
already an LXI 5spd so that helps.

Is what im talking about possible?

kaltenacht
09-14-2005, 07:17 PM

my response?

Thats exactly how i feel with my car. My girlfriend says i put way to much time and money into the car, but I love that damn car *tear*... Anyway, if you think its worth it go for it, all the way. You can put a price on happiness.... (damn that sounded weird refering to a car like that...)