PDA

View Full Version : so, i was trying to remove the tierod ends and...

newaccorddriver
09-12-2005, 07:36 PM
well, long story short, i ripped the boot on it , to make matters worse, i think the threads got stripped(didnt check too closely as i was just too pissed off that my tool didnt work) , to make matters MUCH worse it happened on both sides. is there anything i can really do asides from replacing both the tie-rod ends? assuming only the boots are just torn and everything else was alright, and only the nuts got stripped and not the bolts, would i be able to just replace the boots?

this is on an 86 accord im trying to fix up, just started on it

BlueBead
09-12-2005, 09:06 PM
yeah, you could replace the boots assuming that things are like you said. You'd want new castle nuts though.
You probably want to get new tierod ends anyways.... the stock ones have no grease nipple and new ones aren't that bad pricewise.
The secret when taking the tierod ends out of the hub is to leave the nut on the end of the bolt and tap it while applying pressure (with a gear-puller type tool or even a jack) to the nut/end of bolt.
The other thing to always remember on these front suspension issues is to use penetrating oil to free things up.
Good luck!

newaccorddriver
09-12-2005, 09:52 PM
well, i just checked it out, the nuts are screwed up for sure as the threads are not there anymore. looked at the tierod ends, it was dark and i didnt have my glasses on so i couldnt see much of anything. i tried using a tierod end remover, that thing just slides under the boot and you tighten the bolt to get it out, it didnt work too well, but atleast it got it out. on the other side i used a pickle fork cause i got too pissed off, that worked and kinda stripped the nut as well. i guess i got lucky, what im wondering is, i cant see a tear in the boots(atleast right now) but the steering knuckle has grease on where the tierod end would be, and when i touched under it, there was grease there. is that normal?

Oldblueaccord
09-13-2005, 12:31 AM
well, i just checked it out, the nuts are screwed up for sure as the threads are not there anymore. looked at the tierod ends, it was dark and i didnt have my glasses on so i couldnt see much of anything. i tried using a tierod end remover, that thing just slides under the boot and you tighten the bolt to get it out, it didnt work too well, but atleast it got it out. on the other side i used a pickle fork cause i got too pissed off, that worked and kinda stripped the nut as well. i guess i got lucky, what im wondering is, i cant see a tear in the boots(atleast right now) but the steering knuckle has grease on where the tierod end would be, and when i touched under it, there was grease there. is that normal?

u want to use a "pickle fork" and then get new tierods

wp

SteveDX89
09-13-2005, 02:28 AM
There's no reason you should have stripped the nuts. Unless they were on when you were using the pickle fork. Sometimes they're jammed in there so bad, you have to pound the thing in there so much that if you have a nut on it, you're just working against yourself. Just buy new tie rods ends tho. They should be $30-$50 depending which ones you get and they come with castle nuts and the cotter pin.

newaccorddriver
09-13-2005, 06:21 PM
There's no reason you should have stripped the nuts. Unless they were on when you were using the pickle fork. Sometimes they're jammed in there so bad, you have to pound the thing in there so much that if you have a nut on it, you're just working against yourself. Just buy new tie rods ends tho. They should be $30-$50 depending which ones you get and they come with castle nuts and the cotter pin.

the stripped nuts were caused solely me looking at the assembly the wrong way, so the bolts actually stripped before i pounded one out with the pickle fork and the other tool i used :uh: