PDA

View Full Version : removing the cv axles

newaccorddriver
09-13-2005, 09:22 PM
is it possible to remove them without taking apart the lower ball joint?

88Accord-DX
09-13-2005, 09:50 PM
The thing is, you need the spindle out of your way. Also, you need to take the tie rod end loose. The spindle doesn't have much room to work around with, if you find a way around it, good luck. I don't think you can avoid taking loose the lower ball joint.

Busted_Blue
09-13-2005, 09:54 PM
tie rod end doesn't need to be loose. But you REALLY need to take off the lower balljoint. Be sure to have a balljoint puller as that thing is stuck on pretty good if you dont' have that.

88Accord-DX
09-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Here is a tip, if you have the car jacked up REAL high. You might be able to take the upper ball joint off & go around taking the lower one off. Just make sure you have enough room to clear the top of the spindle. But I don't see that much trouble in what it is worth than doing it right.

Edit. Tie rod can be left on. If you can deal with it attached for room.

Sometimes, if you try. You can take the nut on the lower ball joint & lower it to the bottom & hit it with a hammer a few times to break the ball joint loose. Don't mess the nut up on the end if it don't break loose though! That is something you can do, but do on you own. BALL JOINT PULLER should be used if not confident....

SteveDX89
09-14-2005, 02:36 AM
The CV joint will not fit through the fork. That means you absolutely must pull the lower ball joint apart.

Strugglebucket
09-14-2005, 03:11 AM
The CV joint will not fit through the fork. That means you absolutely must pull the lower ball joint apart.
huh? i always remove the fork.

if i remember right, it is possible to get the passenger side out without removing the ball joint. you just have to have the steering turned full right and then work with it a bit. the drivers side is a different story because the shaft is longer so you can't angle it as much.

newaccorddriver
09-14-2005, 07:47 AM
i remember going to a scrap yard, and while pulling out a transmission, the only thing i remember was just separating the tierodends, not the lower ball joint...

it might have been that screw on top of the lower ball joint though...

SteveDX89
09-14-2005, 08:13 AM
huh? i always remove the fork.

if i remember right, it is possible to get the passenger side out without removing the ball joint. you just have to have the steering turned full right and then work with it a bit. the drivers side is a different story because the shaft is longer so you can't angle it as much.

Shit, sorry. I'm thinking of where the fork bolts to the lower arm. That's always a bitch to get out too.

Strugglebucket
09-14-2005, 03:06 PM
yeah, whatever you do there will always be something on the suspension that doesn't want to come loose. especially if the car hasn't been worked on in a long time or it's a bolt that's never been broken loose since it was installed at the factory.

carotman
09-14-2005, 03:12 PM
I always remove the CV axles with the lower balljoint in place. I just remove the form and upper balljoint and it goes out that way.