PDA

View Full Version : intake manifold (help!)

Run4st
09-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Hello all,
I am new to the board and I have found lots of good info...but I have a problem and need advice.
I have a 1989 Accord with a 2bbl carb...on the intake manifood there is a 2 inch aluminum pipe that sticks out...you normally connect hose to it (antifreeze circulation). The problem is that the pipe has rusted out and leaked to the point I was able to pull it out. Everywhere I go to try and find this pipe they don't have it. The pipe is pressed in at the factory. Will I have to find another intake manifold? I am not looking forward to installing the carb and all those vacuum line. Any advice?

Thanks,
R (Newbie)

POS carb
09-14-2005, 02:14 PM
yea that hose wears out. Take out the entire hose, cut it near the middle so you can see the real diameter (the ends will be streched) Go to the auto part with that hose and buy generic replacement hose (sold by the foot) of the same diameter. Use screw-type hose clamps

carotman
09-14-2005, 03:22 PM
He's talking about a metal hose that's pressed into the intake manifold.

My best bet would be to remove the hose and see if you can find a similar size hose and press it in.

If not, maibe you can remove the hose and have threads made in the intake manifold. this way, you might be able to use any hoze size with the proper fitting.

There is a possibility to have a hose welded on there. The last resort would be to replace the manifold.

However, you could buy a manifold at the junkyard and switch the hoses if you manage to get the good hose out of the junkyard manifold.

A20A1
09-15-2005, 01:06 AM
You can drill out any the old pipe left in the manifold, then tap the port in the manifold so that you can screw in a brass hose fitting.

Run4st
09-15-2005, 10:08 AM
I did think about tapping and putting a threaded piece in. There isn't much room for a mistake. One side of the manifold isn't very think (where the pipe is). How easy do you think the manifold would crack? Guess I could take it to a machine shop.

I have another manifold...but that pipe isn't coming out. I would have to destroy it to get it out. I tried everything to get it out---blind whole puller---heating with a torch---

Mike's89AccordLX
09-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Yes I would drill it out and tap it like Mike said. But if you have to take the intake manifold off and do it that way. It's just a royal pain in the but if you aren't elastic man to get to those bolts and nuts :)

A20A1
09-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Hmm, I could send you one of mine, I think it's in good shape.

Run4st
09-16-2005, 04:51 AM
Were you able to get the pipe out? If you have the pipe I could definitely use it. I could not get that pipe out --no matter what I tried. How were you able to get it out of the manifold?

kaltenacht
09-16-2005, 10:16 AM
The metal hose they sell at Autozone in pre-determined lengths. I see it all the time, it might be worth it taking a trip by there.

A20A1
09-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Oh, not the pipe... the entire intake manifold I can send you.

Run4st
09-20-2005, 06:02 AM
I found a threaded piece of pipe that is the correct size (5/8) ...I am going to tap it. Hopefiully it will not leak. I will let you know what happens. I am tempted to put some gasket sealer on the threads to help stop any leaking. Think that would help?

Run4st
10-10-2005, 06:25 AM
Thanks for all the advice..I ended up tapping it and everything is working great.

Thanks,
R

A20A1
10-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Use teflon tape, gasket sealer isn't the best for plumbing type jobs.