PDA

View Full Version : Problem, plz help me!

Deadhead
09-15-2005, 05:30 AM
well, i've had this problem for a while now, i thought it was my exhaust due to the poor condition of it. However, i just got a new exhaust put on and it's still doing it.

At idle it makes a wierd putsing sound...

....... put.put.......................putputputput........ put........put...

it's really strange, i am thinking the ignitor in my distributer is bad, also, when i'm driving, it sometimes feels like i am pulling a trailer all of a sudden and popped the clutch at the same time. However, i just did everything normally.

Could the ignitor be the problem? if not, what else could it be?

erotomania
09-15-2005, 09:39 AM
check your spark. disconnect one of the plug wires and shove a screw or something into the end of it, then hold it a few mms away from something that's grounded in your engine bay like the block, then have someone crank the engine. You should be getting a strong spark. If not check the cap and rotor, plugs, wires, coil, etc.

If you really suspect your distrubutor take it out of the car and to a shop or something and they can test it for cheap if not for free

If none of that helps make sure you're getting good fuel flow. Maybe your filters are clogged.

Deadhead
09-15-2005, 08:21 PM
hmm... that would make sense, i've had the car for approx 11k miles and never have changed the fuel filter..... but i'm definately thinking the distributer is the problem

thx for the feedback, any other ideas?

halxi
09-15-2005, 08:29 PM
sludge in the motor, build up, happens over time

could also be a bad cap/rotor.

i would most definatly start with a cap/rotor, new plug wires, and new/regap plugs

Deadhead
09-16-2005, 05:49 AM
well, i decided to clean out my throttle plate and throttle body with some carb cleaner.

What i found was that my throttle body is sooo dirty after the throttle plate, that i really think that could be my whole problem. I hopefully will take that all off tonight and clean that fucker out... it's nasty.

Deadhead
09-16-2005, 05:54 AM
also, i would like to port out my throttle body at the same time, does anyone have any pictures or tips for doing this?

halxi
09-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Dont port it, just get a couple wire brushes and scrub the shit down. I need to do that with mine, racerx told me it made a pretty noticable difference on his B20 in his prelude

Deadhead
09-17-2005, 06:45 PM
ok, i pulled the throttle body apart and cleaned it to my best ability with carb cleaner and a wire brush.

I also pulled the cap and rotor off.... the rotor was in really bad shape... the end has chips in it and is coroded pretty bad. So i took a file and took off the corosion and cleaned up the dist cap.

It's still making that noise out of the exhaust.... do i need to replace the rotor and cap even though i scrubbed the crap out of it?

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-17-2005, 09:35 PM
I had the same problem it took forever to figure it out the igniter on the distributor was misfiring making that sound.You might want to take a look at that on your accord.

Deadhead
09-18-2005, 01:43 PM
lol, that's what i thought it was in the first place lol.... it's a remaned distributer and they have been known to have bad ignitors.....

How do i tell if it's bad?

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-18-2005, 04:18 PM
I took my igniter out and replaced it with a MSD A6 i hooked the coil from inside the distributor to the MSD it works alot better with out the Igniter

Deadhead
09-18-2005, 04:35 PM
is the ignitor what the rotor pluggs into? is it hard to remove?

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-19-2005, 06:06 PM
the ignitor is on the side of the distributor held on by two Philips you cant miss it

racerx
09-26-2005, 06:59 AM
i am seriously gonna have to look into that!

also, if there's chips missing out of the rotor tip, or distributor cap points, you definately need to replace both. Filing/sanding those parts only makes the contact points even further away...