PDA

View Full Version : Project Custom Hood Cowl :)

Mike's89AccordLX
09-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Well I took the hood off my Accord and started the custom work.

I have the sides and center support cut and grinded down to match eachother. I need to get another 3'x4' sheet of 22 gauge sheetmetal before I can finish it.

It follows the same angles that are already on the hood so it's going to look pretty cool.

I measured the spot where the Edlebrock air cleaner will go and cut that out of the hood so it will be a functional cowl. Anything I do almost always needs to function in order for me to be happy.

I won't have it professionally painted for awhile but I think I have a pretty good idea on what I will do with it to make it look decent.

After the cowl is done then I'm off to fix the rocker panels. And then shave the side moldings on the doors. And fix the rest of the rusty spots.

Cheeseburger
09-15-2005, 09:59 AM
sweet bro , get some pics

Mike's89AccordLX
09-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Sorry it seems like cardomain is currently down. I will post them up later when I get a chance.

Cheeseburger
09-15-2005, 10:01 AM
well when its up i want to see

Mike's89AccordLX
09-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Here we go!

Accord Factory car cover and my bright ass yellow house :)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_176_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_171.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_173_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_174_full.jpg

And the Edlebrock aircleaner.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_175_full.jpg

Mike's89AccordLX
09-15-2005, 10:51 AM
The hood cowl is only going to be about 2.5" to 2.75" above the factory hood.

I was thinking about buying an air cleaner riser so the air cleaner will stick up above the factory hood but under the cowl for a more direct flow. I would obviously need to cut out that hood support though that I didn't cut out. I should have it those pieces tacked on tomorrow then I will need to get another piece of sheet metal to finish it.

kaltenacht
09-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Very intresting cant wait to see it once its done. Where did you buy the Air Clearner at? I sell those at my work which would happen to be Autozone!!! WOW! Ne how looking good so far

Mike's89AccordLX
09-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Yeah I bought that at Autozone with my giftcard from there. I fix a lot of peoples cars on the side and I go there to get parts b/c they're cheaper and I get the punch card. :)

Ok to make that aircleaner work I needed to have the Weber remote aircleaner adapter base plate and then I just bolted it on. I was very lucky I thought it was going to be tough to make it work with my carb. I thought about getting a bigger one but I was affraid it would hit the firewall.

Cheeseburger
09-15-2005, 11:21 AM
very cool man, ya i have seen the fro flo at autozone

Mike's89AccordLX
09-15-2005, 11:23 AM
So what do you guys think, should I raise up the air cleaner or leave it as is? I think I saw some risors at autozone but I could be wrong.

lostforawhile
09-15-2005, 03:39 PM
I would leave it like it is,baffle around it. keep us up dated I remember going through this it was a lot of work but worth it. I just turned my scoop around backwards so it wouldn't be so much wind resistance. I wonder who else has these cowls on here? when i did mine i had a spare hood from the junkyard for a mockup,it had been in a wreck or something, alas it also has three geez written on it. and spray painted flames,hehe, had some fun screwing with it. it looks good though keep us in pics. :bowrofl:

BlueBead
09-15-2005, 06:07 PM
keep the details coming man! I'm planning a F/G cowl for my FI intake, so other ideas and experiences are really usefull. (I'm doing a glass cowl b/c I work at a kayak shop and can get materials free)

lostforawhile
09-15-2005, 06:19 PM
keep the details coming man! I'm planning a F/G cowl for my FI intake, so other ideas and experiences are really usefull. (I'm doing a glass cowl b/c I work at a kayak shop and can get materials free) i've got the post on here about redoing the baffling for the scoop,that might give you some ideas, i'm glad to see someone on here doing the same.

lostforawhile
09-15-2005, 07:07 PM
I know exactly how you can just paint it and make it look decent.

Black primer, then a few coats of glossy black, then a couple coats of clearcoat. =D

You can easy rattlecan it and make it look good.are you talking about his cowl or mine? my entire hood will be stripped down and repainted this fall. not meaning to get off topic or anything.

gp02a0083
09-16-2005, 05:53 AM
well the FC style scoop is only for the turbo's and its mainly for the small intercooler thats sits on top of the engine

gp02a0083
09-16-2005, 11:27 AM
yah any which way if its going to get into teh intake you might want to condiser making a box with a " dump" hole or bend oh btw anyone knows what the hell on the stock intake plastic theres another peice that looks like a long pipe that goes on the otehr side of the battery , what is it for ? looks liek a tumor

w00tw00t111
09-16-2005, 09:52 PM
I was also thinking about doing a functional FC style scoop.

http://japcar.hp.infoseek.co.jp/images/FC3S-001-w300.jpg
I think that would look really cool! I always liked those scoops and it might be worth a photo-chop.

lostforawhile
09-16-2005, 11:40 PM
thats what i did but turned around backwards so it didn't funnel in water http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_135_full.jpg

BlueBead
09-17-2005, 12:12 AM
yah any which way if its going to get into teh intake you might want to condiser making a box with a " dump" hole or bend oh btw anyone knows what the hell on the stock intake plastic theres another peice that looks like a long pipe that goes on the otehr side of the battery , what is it for ? looks liek a tumor

I think it sucks in warmer air at startup... I know that the carb has a heat activated sytem, not sure about the FI. maybe it has something to do with the resonator?? :dunno:
It is part #34 on Majestic in the air cleaner section for PGM-FI, but there is no listing or description for the part. :pc:

A20A1
09-17-2005, 12:43 AM
They have funnel shapped filter inserts to smooth out air flow.

Nice work there Mike, at least now people can see why my hood scoop is not in the center of the hood.

A20A1
09-17-2005, 12:56 AM
Quite aware.
I'm thinking that I'll just throw a fine mesh screen over the throttle body and make a box for the top of it, then let the air pour in.

Might be better to have a way to make sure I don't suck in water, though.

A FOAM air filter is a good addition to help keep out water but once the filter is soaked it kinda chokes the motor. I'm pretty sure that the BYPASS VALVE for cold air intakes will not work with a hood scoop since water comes in from the top, it doesn't need to get sucked into the filter it will simply leak in.

A little bit of moisture on a FOAM filter could help cool the air...

I've found a 3" tall scoop is very effective in drawing in air. I had one made from aluminum and it bulged and pulled away from the 1/2" steel bolts I used along the rim of the oppening to hold the scoop to the hood. I stopped at 75mph since I was afraid the metal would shear at the bolt heads... I later added some washers to increase the surface area of the bolt head.

If it's too low like the lower profile scoop you usually see on my car it doesn't bring in much air. It's just the way the cars front end pushes the air up and over the scoop, placed where I have mine that makes it less effective.

lostforawhile
09-17-2005, 06:44 AM
the way mine is set up, the filter just pulls it's air from under the scoop, i know it's working because if a leaf or something gets up on the grill, it just sticks to it no matter how fast you go,there is some air flow down past the baffling,this is due to the low pressure area under the car created when you are moving. this causes air to flow through the scoop openings and down towards that area. when it does that, the hot air is also forced downwards and out. the baffling is primarily to keep heat from rising up into the scoop when the car isn't moving very fast or stuck in traffic.

acco-R-d
09-18-2005, 09:29 AM
wow, thats probably gunna be the only edlebrock product on our cars ever..lol.

EvilPenciler
09-18-2005, 08:56 PM
I was also thinking about doing a functional FC style scoop.

http://japcar.hp.infoseek.co.jp/images/FC3S-001-w300.jpg

what kind of rims are those?

Nice cowl ^_^