PDA

View Full Version : CAI for 86 DX

AccordDX86
09-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Hey. Alright, I've posted this question once before, and if it was misconstrued, is beyond me. Well, I just wanted to know if anyone knew where I could find a Cold Air Intake for a 86 DX. E bay was no help as they only had them for LX-i's, and to my understanding, it wont work on mine. I stopped by my brothers auto-parts store, and he wouldnt be able to order a full CAI. I know this question is a newb question, but, that is in-fact what I am. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys.

-Brett

x89LXIturbox
09-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Have you ever heard of the brand of CAI called...

SEARCH?

AccordDX86
09-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Like I said, I have already, maybe I didnt do such a great job. Also, this is a forum board for people with questions... no? Also, this is searching, isnt it? I appologize if i'm causing a problem, but, why should there be a problem? You didnt know the answer to my question, so why did you post with such a rude statement? I'm new to the world of hondas, and just have some questions. I am sorry if there were any mix-ups. Thanks.

-Brett

x89LXIturbox
09-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Well i think if you searched the boards you would find the answer you wanted. When i first found 3geez all i did was read and read about the performance products and what other peoples setups were like. Weapon-R is the only company that makes and intake for our cars and it is only a short-ram intake and not a good one at that. If you want to get a real CAI you are going to either custom make your own or modify a CAI from either a Civic, Integra, or and Accord. Most people use a 90-93 integra CAI and cut the pipes to fit our cars. I just ordered mine yesterday and I am waiting on that. I searched around and read about what was the best one to buy. All in all, just try to search the boards for what you are looking for.
Thanks and good luck with it.

AccordDX86
09-15-2005, 04:38 PM
Thank you very much. Thats really what I needed to know, now, I can stop searching for something I'll never find. Once again, thank you.

-Brett.

x89LXIturbox
09-15-2005, 05:12 PM
hahah no problem man. Good luck with it all. Let us know how it goes and post pics when you get done.

SteveDX89
09-15-2005, 05:26 PM
In order to put an intake on a DX, you will have to use the Civic air box. Search for that to see what you have to do for that.

88accordhb
09-15-2005, 07:07 PM
yah well anything you can fab to fit over the carb, then you can buy a cheapo ebay one made for a 90-93 accord or integra. do the search, you'll need to do a bit of vacumn line pulling to get the best performance i guess. but you can't expect much. carb doesn't do much better from warm air to cold air. plus it takes alot of time to fab stuff. but all the power to you..good luck.

3rdgenhatchDX
09-16-2005, 01:50 PM
i hope he knows his car is carbed... cuz the info... "Most people use a 90-93 integra CAI and cut the pipes to fit our cars. I just ordered mine yesterday and I am waiting on that. I searched around and read about what was the best one to buy. All in all, just try to search the boards for what you are looking for." is for EFI cars... hence the name - x89LXIturbox

JUST a HEADS UP! your car is carbed and your not going to be able to fit a CAI from a fuel injected engine on it... and a front strut tower bar for a EFI car won't fit over your carb....

Have a nice day and thank you for not buying an Lx-i...

carotman
09-16-2005, 02:09 PM
If you live up north, the CAI might drive the choke crazy during the winter. Carbs do not like the cold weather too much. This is why there is a pre-heater hose on the carb intake that takes air right in front of the exhaust manifold.

A20A1
09-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Yeah dude, it's all right here : http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=38108

Just scroll down till you see the pictures of the civic intake adapter, there are also links in that thread to more helpful install instructions.

After you have the adapter then get a cold air intake with long enough piping to rear the bumper.

w00tw00t111
09-16-2005, 06:44 PM
i hope he knows his car is carbed... cuz the info... "Most people use a 90-93 integra CAI and cut the pipes to fit our cars. I just ordered mine yesterday and I am waiting on that. I searched around and read about what was the best one to buy. All in all, just try to search the boards for what you are looking for." is for EFI cars... hence the name - x89LXIturbox

JUST a HEADS UP! your car is carbed and your not going to be able to fit a CAI from a fuel injected engine on it... and a front strut tower bar for a EFI car won't fit over your carb....

Have a nice day and thank you for not buying an Lx-i...
No it'll fit you just have to have a civic air box or a custom made adapter plate. So it'll be fine as long as you have the correct adapter.

AccordDX86
09-17-2005, 11:23 AM
My thought has been just forgetting about the CAI. I figure a K&N over the whole CAI project that it would be, just seems to be a better choice. I think this for a few reasons... the main being it seems confusing having to piece one together and making it work and another reason being, it seems as if a CAI doesnt give all that much power to carbed cars. I figure, a K&N plus a decent exhaust would allow my car to breath much better. I think for my car, i'm going to concentrate much more on appearance than performance. I'd really like to know what the DX people have done to their cars. If I can do something thats reasonably cheap (this because I have a low paying job) and reasonably easy (this being always going to work and school and need the car on a daily basis) I'd gladly jump on it. I like my car a lot, but I also realize, its hard to go anywhere with limited funds. I like this website a lot because of all the feedback I have been recieving about my car, which has helped me come to this realization. I would like some guidance as to what to do with my car... but, I suppose it is all up to me. Few things for sure, is that the car is getting kept, and that I will paint it and buy rims and tires. Everything else I do, will pretty much depend on what you people think is the best choice, as I just got this car and am pretty uninformed about what to do. Thanks a lot guys.

-Brett

hondaman1986
01-06-2007, 08:48 PM
a20 that link you posted doesnt work can u pm me a link?