PDA

View Full Version : Say hello to my Little Friend

Legend_master
09-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Well I am peicing the motor together now and it will only be a matter of time, before I begin to put it in the car. I am thinking of waiting for thanksgiving to roll around so I can take a little Time off to work on the install, but I am not sure about that.

Specs
LS/Vtec
B18a BLock bored .20 over
95 GSR Head milled just a bit to yeald a little more compression

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/DSCF0007.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/DSCF0008.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/DSCF0006.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/DSCF0010.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/DSCF0009.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/DSCF0011.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/DSCF0012124.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/DSCF0013.jpg

Cheeseburger
09-15-2005, 09:11 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmm b18 goodness

Hash_man_Se_i
09-15-2005, 11:03 PM
nice... looks good man... be sure to keep us updated.

88accordalltheway
09-15-2005, 11:31 PM
ohhhhuhhuhoo *nuts*
looks good.

b8er
09-15-2005, 11:46 PM
looking gooooood, gonna run just N/A? possibly spray?, anyways like always keep us posted

Legend_master
09-16-2005, 12:40 AM
looking gooooood, gonna run just N/A? possibly spray?, anyways like always keep us posted

nope, the compression is not high enough for NA and I am not a fan of spray. I was thinking about turbo, but I am not sure right now and I just want to get that motor in the car.

SteveDX89
09-16-2005, 02:40 AM
Uh, what's all over the top of the cylinders? Looks good other than that.

88Accord-DX
09-16-2005, 04:19 AM
Uh, what's all over the top of the cylinders?

That looks like assembly lube. Looks like a good motor rebuild. Machine work isn't cheap..

Legend_master
09-16-2005, 09:13 AM
That looks like assembly lube. Looks like a good motor rebuild. Machine work isn't cheap..

yep it is assembly loob, it better then trying to use oil to lube it up and taking a chance on a dry start. I got all the block work done for a very good price and they matched the pistons with the cylinders like a glove.

smufguy
09-16-2005, 10:11 AM
that looks good, see if you can get a girdle for the bottom if you can. Helps the bottom end flex a lot at higher revs. i dont know how high u wanna rev that motor, but all in all, looks awsome ;) next time, some block guards :d

Legend_master
09-16-2005, 10:15 AM
that looks good, see if you can get a girdle for the bottom if you can. Helps the bottom end flex a lot at higher revs. i dont know how high u wanna rev that motor, but all in all, looks awsome ;) next time, some block guards :d

I looked into that, but I would have to get a GSR/Typr R oil sump and pan so I am waiting on that. I will only be reving to 8K and that should be no problem with the setup I am running. I have contiplated getting an LS and sleeving it to a 2.0L and building the internals then swapping out the blocks later.

SteveDX89
09-16-2005, 12:02 PM
So that assembly lube won't cause any problems with the rings seating?

88Accord-DX
09-16-2005, 12:45 PM
So that assembly lube won't cause any problems with the rings seating?
I know your not asking me this question.. But if you look at this link on Car Craft, it says use assembly lube on the cylinder bores. Some people use it, some don't. I prefer using it, as long as you deglaze the cylinder walls, that is the most important in rings seating properly. Since he bored them out, deglazing isn't a issue.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/869/index10.html

SteveDX89
09-16-2005, 03:31 PM
I know your not asking me this question.. But if you look at this link on Car Craft, it says use assembly lube on the cylinder bores. Some people use it, some don't. I prefer using it, as long as you deglaze the cylinder walls, that is the most important in rings seating properly. Since he bored them out, deglazing isn't a issue.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/869/index10.html

I was asking whoever. I've never replaced rings and I had never heard of using assembly lube on the pistons, just oil.

jigga225
09-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Looks nice man, can't wait till you get it complete. Lookin good so far!

88accordhb
09-16-2005, 09:13 PM
haha b20c1

Legend_master
09-17-2005, 12:01 AM
haha b20c1

:deal:

BlueBead
09-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Looking good man!
good plan with the lube; I know a guy who got an old big block corvette cheap b/c the guy before him drystarted the engine..... not something you want to do after all of that machine work

88Accord-DX
09-18-2005, 04:13 AM
Legend Master, I was wanting to ask you a few questions on your rebuild.

Did you have the machine shop put your pistons in or did you do it yourself?
Did you need the crank & rods turned, or just having the crank polished? Are you using the same rods bolts?
How about the head, you rebuilding it yourself? Looks like from the pick. Just curious how much work you did, cause I'm rebuilding a motor..(not my first)
I had to have the crank & rods turned & balanced.

Hope your using new head bolts.

od2681
09-18-2005, 06:16 AM
you lucky ass bastard...i so envy you.....

Legend_master
09-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Legend Master, I was wanting to ask you a few questions on your rebuild.

Did you have the machine shop put your pistons in or did you do it yourself?
Did you need the crank & rods turned, or just having the crank polished? Are you using the same rods bolts?
How about the head, you rebuilding it yourself? Looks like from the pick. Just curious how much work you did, cause I'm rebuilding a motor..(not my first)
I had to have the crank & rods turned & balanced.

Hope your using new head bolts.

I put the Pistons in myself.
I actually dident do anything to the crank besides balancing it with the rest of the internalsa. The rods had to be machined a little and they speced all the bearing perfectly to the rods and crank.
I am running ARP rod and head bolts.
I had the machine shop preasure test the head, reaserfase and mill the head to yeaild a little more compression. (I also had them convert the oil channels to work with the Stock LS dowls instead of converting the block. They also hot tanked it.
Overall I assembled everything except putting the pistons on the rods. The shop I used was great they never gave me any problems and did excellent work on every item in the motor. There prices werent to bad either.

you lucky ass bastard...i so envy you.....

There would be nothing to stick this motor in, if it wasent for you so thanks man. :rockon:

88Accord-DX
09-18-2005, 08:06 AM
One last question, did you check the end gap on the rings & space them accordingly? And did you double check you main & rod bearing clearances after assembly? I double check them to make sure it is copisthetic.

Legend_master
09-18-2005, 08:12 AM
One last question, did you check the end gap on the rings & space them accordingly? And did you double check you main & rod bearing clearances after assembly? I double check them to make sure it is copisthetic.

Yep I checked both and the Machine shop that I used had them both perfectly mathced. I used the plastic method for the main and rod bearings and I dropped the rings in without the pistons to to measure the gap. It is definitly a good Idea to check these when building a motor so that you dont end up with some broken shit.

88Accord-DX
09-18-2005, 08:29 AM
One last thing, put a new oil pump in, new clutch, new valve stem seals, all new gaskets, bronze feeze plugs, new water pump, new timing belt/chain. Change the oil within the first 500 miles, you will have a build up of assembly lube & other debris from the rebuild in the oil.

Legend_master
09-18-2005, 08:33 AM
One last thing, put a new oil pump in, new clutch, new valve stem seals, all new gaskets, bronze feeze plugs, new water pump, new timing belt/chain. Change the oil within the first 500 miles, you will have a build up of assembly lube & other debris from the rebuild in the oil.

I have a brand new GSR/Type R oil and water pump installed. I have a new clutch, factory valve stem seals, Replaced all gaskets, and timeing belt. I am using the plugs that came with the head, but I have not gotten my plug wires yet, so I might go ahead and get new plugs. I was going to change the oil at 300 nad 700 miles to allow for the motor breakin period to be completely flushed from the system.

88accordhb
09-18-2005, 10:33 AM
that's gonna be one nice little bitch.

Legend_master
09-18-2005, 10:55 AM
that's gonna be one nice little bitch.

:werd:

KoNEY
09-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Not downing your motor or anything, or doubting it's potential, but I don't like it. I don't like b-series in general. The B20's are ok, and i love 88-92 lude's, but IMO B-series is overrated. There are so many ppl locaaly that have a B18 sawpped into a civic, and I'm tired of it. A couple of them are nearly lethal, (CRX w/LS/VTEC) but it may just be the locals' attitude. They think a B18 or B16 in a civic is the quickness. I'm sayin the only thing "quick" about a B18/16 in a Civic is the swap, we did one in 5 hours. Still none of them can run with my buddy's TSi, or even run with Jake's H22 wagon. It's kinda sad. Good build though. I say you drop that LS/Vtec in and later get a CR-V block so you can build a CR-VTEC...

Legend_master
09-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Not downing your motor or anything, or doubting it's potential, but I don't like it. I don't like b-series in general. The B20's are ok, and i love 88-92 lude's, but IMO B-series is overrated. There are so many ppl locaaly that have a B18 sawpped into a civic, and I'm tired of it. A couple of them are nearly lethal, (CRX w/LS/VTEC) but it may just be the locals' attitude. They think a B18 or B16 in a civic is the quickness. I'm sayin the only thing "quick" about a B18/16 in a Civic is the swap, we did one in 5 hours. Still none of them can run with my buddy's TSi, or even run with Jake's H22 wagon. It's kinda sad. Good build though. I say you drop that LS/Vtec in and later get a CR-V block so you can build a CR-VTEC...

well that is why I am swapping into an accord because you definitly don't see that everyday. You also have to look at price per HP. I know I will not be able to beat a TSi, but I only spent $800.00 for the car and about $3000.00 for the swap includeing the mounts and shit. Another 1 or 2 K for restoration and Suspention then I have a fully restores LS/vtec powered 3g and I still paid 15k or so less then someone with a Sti. Now If you seriosly think that a fully built B-series motor cannot beat an STi then you are just ingnorent, because it is all about how much money and time you have to spend on a car that makes it fast.I have many friend with built b-series motors that are running 300-500 HP with low boost and 200-300 NA builds. I am not trying to start anything, i am just passoinate about hondas.

SteveDX89
09-20-2005, 02:30 PM

How come everyone thinks people with B-series Civics think they own fast cars? :dunno: I have a B16 and I'll tell you straight up my car is slow. Faster than an A20 but still slow.

od2681
09-20-2005, 03:18 PM
I put the Pistons in myself.
I actually dident do anything to the crank besides balancing it with the rest of the internalsa. The rods had to be machined a little and they speced all the bearing perfectly to the rods and crank.
I am running ARP rod and head bolts.
I had the machine shop preasure test the head, reaserfase and mill the head to yeaild a little more compression. (I also had them convert the oil channels to work with the Stock LS dowls instead of converting the block. They also hot tanked it.
Overall I assembled everything except putting the pistons on the rods. The shop I used was great they never gave me any problems and did excellent work on every item in the motor. There prices werent to bad either.

There would be nothing to stick this motor in, if it wasent for you so thanks man. :rockon:

im just happy that someone whos gona take care of it got it...

Legend_master
09-20-2005, 03:33 PM
im just happy that someone whos gona take care of it got it...

I wish I could say the same for my old car, they blew the motor and got the rims stolen the day after I sold it ot them.